U.S. Politics

maqroll

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

They've revoked the press credentials of Jim Acosta (CNN) and have accused him of assaulting the women who tried to take his mic away. No rest for the weary here, away we go again.

Acosta deserved this for the way he behaved today. Say what you will, but his behavior was disgraceful for someone interacting with the President, or should we all act like Trump acts?

Compare his behavior to the NBC reporter who Trump also has a dislike for, and stated quite directly so. He tried to sneak in a second rhetorical question and Trump said no, maybe later if I get back around to you. The NBC reporter sat down and behaved like an adult.  It is possible to engage Trump aggressively and not get thrown out.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

There was absolutely nothing aggressive about Acosta's display.

Agreed. Trump was an insolent belligerent bully as per, and couldn't stand that someone was defying him instead of being an arse kissing sycophant.

• Like 4

Watched various clips and extracts from that Trump performance.

The bit where he goads republicans that lost? The bit with the CNN guy? The praising himself as a record breaking great great guy?

The man is ill.

• Like 1

After hearing Trump discuss the great work being done by ICE, I wanted to know if the Patriot Act was still in use. One source said that it would extend to 2019 but I couldn't find any recent articles of it still being effective. Can anyone on here confirm? Apparently it's on record that one congressmen alleged that no one had read the bill in its entirety before it was passed, stating that bills are rarely read before being passed.

I read up on Australia's version of the act and learnt that I don't have the right to express certain opinions or criticisms of the constitution or government. Onus of proof falls on the defendant and innocence is not presumed.

Which brings me back on topic and @Davkaus I can only imagine that 'demonising immigrants' and being an 'enemy of the people' would be considered the more concerning accusation.

6 hours ago, villakram said:

Acosta deserved this for the way he behaved today. Say what you will, but his behavior was disgraceful for someone interacting with the President, or should we all act like Trump acts?

Compare his behavior to the NBC reporter who Trump also has a dislike for, and stated quite directly so. He tried to sneak in a second rhetorical question and Trump said no, maybe later if I get back around to you. The NBC reporter sat down and behaved like an adult.  It is possible to engage Trump aggressively and not get thrown out.

I just fundamentally disagree with you.

Trump has had 3 press conferences since his term began. 3 opportunities to ask him questions directly. What are reporters supposed to do? Softball him while he insults them constantly from the safety of his toilet on Twitter? Or ask difficult questions, even if it means talking over him to get an answer?

Secondly, if what Acosta did was so bad, then why did the WH have to make up a reason to retract his credentials? Rather than just state that his behaviour was bad and that's reason enough. Because if it was, they could have easily done that. But they didn't.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Another day in paradise. A lot of people shot at a bar in California according to BBC radio. 

And the Press Secretary sharing a video that has been doctored by Infowars to make it appear that Jim Acosta assaulted the intern trying to take the mic from him yesterday.

Welcome to the 4th Reich.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

And the Press Secretary sharing a video that has been doctored by Infowars to make it appear that Jim Acosta assaulted the intern trying to take the mic from him yesterday.

Welcome to the 4th Reich.

What freaks me out the most about all this is that there are hundreds of millions of Americans that are A OK with all this stuff.  Very little is being done under the cover of darkness, it is authoritarianism in the open and people are voting for it like it's a good thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Straggler said:

What freaks me out the most about all this is that there are hundreds of millions of Americans that are A OK with all this stuff.  Very little is being done under the cover of darkness, it is authoritarianism in the open and people are voting for it like it's a good thing.

I'd wager a fair amount of them are not just ok with the White House response, but outraged that the journalist assaulted the young, innocent lady.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Republican snowflakes on twitter trying to argue that it’s assault and he’s a disgrace.

But Greg Gianforte, he’s a great guy.

If you want to succeed with these people, you need to grab them by the pussy, not brush their arm.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I just fundamentally disagree with you.

Trump has had 3 press conferences since his term began. 3 opportunities to ask him questions directly. What are reporters supposed to do? Softball him while he insults them constantly from the safety of his toilet on Twitter? Or ask difficult questions, even if it means talking over him to get an answer?

Secondly, if what Acosta did was so bad, then why did the WH have to make up a reason to retract his credentials? Rather than just state that his behaviour was bad and that's reason enough. Because if it was, they could have easily done that. But they didn't.

Absolutely.  I was watching when the Sky reporter asked a question, she got halfway through her question before Trump cut her off and went on to speak for about 4 or 5 minutes not really answering it (it's hard to answer a question you've not been asked in full).  I can fully understand why a journalist from one of the leading U.S. news outlets wants to stand their ground, as I'm sure most people other than Trump would agree.  I hate to say it, but I'm getting to the point where I'd be happy to see someone put a bullet in him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villakram said:

Respect is earned not given

• Like 1

Â