U.S. Politics

maqroll

10 hours ago, villakram said:

Acosta deserved this for the way he behaved today. Say what you will, but his behavior was disgraceful for someone interacting with the President, or should we all act like Trump acts?

Compare his behavior to the NBC reporter who Trump also has a dislike for, and stated quite directly so. He tried to sneak in a second rhetorical question and Trump said no, maybe later if I get back around to you. The NBC reporter sat down and behaved like an adult.  It is possible to engage Trump aggressively and not get thrown out.

When football managers behave like bell ends the expectation is that journalists give them a hard time.

I don't think Trump deserves a more comfortable ride just because of his job title.  It's about time people stood up to him.  He's had it too easy all his life, and it shows.

• Like 3

People holding Donald **** Trump up like some demi-god.. **** me.

His shit still stinks, he's just a bloke.  I said before he was sworn in the only way he'll leave the white house is in the coffin, and I think that's still true. 

23 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

When football managers behave like bell ends the expectation is that journalists give them a hard time.

I don't think Trump deserves a more comfortable ride just because of his job title.  It's about time people stood up to him.  He's had it too easy all his life, and it shows.

As soon as Acosta started speaking, it was 'here we go'.

He had a go at a PBS reporter and talked over her for asking a question about Nationalism. 

It's a joke that some are angrier at the journalist for asking tough questions and not backing down than they are over Trump's hideous behaviour over the last 2 years.

• Like 1

My comment was relating to his behavior and decorum, i.e., refusal to cede the floor after having his turn and then making a complete show of himself... the alleged assault nonsense hadn't even started by the time I posted as far as I'm aware. 

It's funny no? Non stop moralizing about how appalling Trump's behavior is, yet Acosta was being a clown there and that's ok because of how Trump behaves? Not a single other journalist acted like this. Do we all lower our standards of public conduct so that we now fight them at their level? The sympathy for the journalist who has become the story is bizarre.

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I was going to ask @villakram what his gut feel was for revoking maximum terms, if Trump was likely to go down that path?

Please do, I don't really have any ability to stop you and it is a politics forum afterall.

It's worth remembering, there were many who opined on the term limit question during the mess that was the 2016 election.

Edited by villakram

1 minute ago, villakram said:

Please do, I don't really have any ability to stop you and it is a politics forum afterall.

Sure, what is your gut feel was for revoking maximum terms, is Trump was likely to go down that path?

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's bizarre you hold a reporter to a higher standard than your president.

I do not. Trump's behavior is well known. There is nothing surprising about it by now.

I could interpret your statement as saying you have lowered your standards to those of Trump. What a wonderful game.

Just now, villakram said:

I do not. Trump's behavior is well known. There is nothing surprising about it by now.

I could interpret your statement as saying you have lowered your standards to those of Trump. What a wonderful game.

To give you a more relevant response though, yeah,  Acosta didn't act great. Is he a blameless victim? No. He's been a bit of a self-centred nob wanting the limelight on more than one occasion.

But that isn't the story, because the white house banned him, and lied and slandered him while doing so.

If they'd taken away his access for refusing to take his seat and give back the mic, this would pretty much be a non-story. As it is, it's just another example of Trump and his staff trying to warp reality.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Sure, what is your gut feel was for revoking maximum terms, is Trump was likely to go down that path?

I don't see any path which leads there right now. Congress would not allow it as currently constituted, and I don't believe there is any popular support for such a move. Some true black swan event ala 9/11 could change things, but previous such events, e.g., 2008 meltdown/Vietnam did not prevent presidential turnover. Of course term limits were enabled due to a president using crisis to justify a 3rd/4th term.  The oligarch/plutocrat/business etc., lobby saw the great changes such long term planning enabled FDR to make and made sure quick smart to stop such things happening ever again.   

• Like 1

Trump  has ordered the flags to be flown at half-staff at all public buildings and military facilities after the latest shooting.

Honestly don''t see why they bother.

Might as well fly them upside down permanently for as long as he remains president.

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Trump  has ordered the flags to be flown at half-staff at all public buildings and military facilities after the latest shooting.

Honestly don''t see why they bother.

Might as well fly them upside down permanently for as long as he remains president.

This isn't something to be pinned  on Trump. Shooting each other has been a national sport for bloody years. It'll take more than a President that doesn't sign his name in crayons to sort that out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

She'll drop before Trump's done. She looks very frail and had been going through a fitness regime trying to keep her going. Trump'll get a third nominee.

Given that Breyer is not much younger - and male, so therefore will statistically likely die sooner - I fully expect Republicans to have a 7-2 majority soon enough. 

• Sad 1

Â