U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:
2 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

These things never apply retro-actively as that is impractical for the reasons you state. Remember, a country is a legal construction and the rights the denizens of said country have are in essence arbitrarily awarded by the control system the society constructs to run said country. 

Or you could say: A country makes its own laws about citizenship.

Anyway.  Yep, you can absolutely Trust the Trump administration not to strip existing citizens of their status.  Just like you can trust them to only deport the "bad hombres", or to protect people with pre existing conditions and to protect medicare, or not to separate children from their parents.  I'd bet a pound to a penny that if the constitution was changed Trump would use the opportunity to remove citizenship from people he didn't like.  The senator/Dr/lawyer will be just fine, but if you are poor or brown or god forbid both and got your citizenship thanks to the 14th amendment Trump is coming to kick you out of the country.  The 14th amendment was introduced to stop people from being racists clearings in the woods (AKA to overturn Dred Scott, which was some proper racist filth legislation).  In a vacuum having a conversation about what properties should allow a person to be a citizen of a state is a reasonable conversation to have.  In the context of having a racist as President the removal of an amendment designed to prevent racism looks, well... racist.  This is the guy who wants to ban all Muslims from entering the US, promised to protect the dreamers then ended DACA, described Mexicans as rapists and murderers, described Haiti and El Salvador as "shithole countries". 

That this sort of thing does not typically get applied retro-actively does not mean it will not happen now.

hmm too many negatives in that sentence.  I shall try again.  Trump is a gaping asshole.  If he passes an executive order that allows him to be a bit more of a racist clearing in the woods, you can bet that he will push it to it's limits and beyond.  I'm pretty sure if he could reintroduce Dred Scott he would.

Edited by Straggler
speling

Building walls and shooting people who throws stones?

Kinda reminds me of some other country...

President Donald Trump on Thursday warned that soldiers deployed to the Mexican border could shoot Central American migrants who throw stones at them while attempting to cross illegally.

Trump told journalists at the White House that a group of several thousand migrants attempting to walk from Central America through Mexico had thrown rocks "viciously and violently" at Mexican police.

"We're not going to put up with that. They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back," he said. "I told them (troops) consider it (a rock) a rifle. When they throw rocks like they did at the Mexican military and police, I say consider it a rifle."

Trump spoke during a presentation of his controversial policy on cracking down against what he says is uncontrolled illegal immigration.

He has ramped up the rhetoric daily ahead of next Tuesday's midterm congressional elections, accusing the opposition Democrats of wanting to throw open the borders to floods of "tough people," "rapists" and other types of threats.

The current focus of Trump's repeated claim to be acting against "an invasion" is the dwindling group of a few thousand impoverished migrants trying to get north. They are currently in Mexico, though still far from the US border.

Trump said that from now on the United States will stop its policy of allowing people to claim political asylum at the border unless they have first gone through an official border post.

Those caught at the border will be held in tent camps or other facilities until they can be deported or have their requests approved, he said.

Critics say that such a radical rethink to asylum policies could violate current laws.

But Trump rejected this.

"This is totally legal. No, we're stopping people at the border. This is an invasion, and nobody is even questioning that," he said.

"We'll be doing an executive order sometime next week," he said, giving little further detail.

Despite Trump's increasingly severe warnings of immigration chaos, the government on Wednesday issued figures saying that only about 400,000 people have been apprehended at the border in 2018, down from around 1.6 million in 2000.

Trump said he was not anti-immigrant but wanted immigration to be completely brought under control.

"Mass uncontrolled immigration is especially unfair to the many wonderful law-abiding immigrants already living here who followed the rules and waited their turn," he said. "Some have been waiting for many years. Some have been waiting a long time. They have done everything perfectly, and they are going to come in."

https://www.france24.com/en/20181102-trump-threatens-shooting-central-american-migrants-who-throw-stones

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It will be mass slaughter, surely there will be international outcry as soon as the first bullet is fired.

Not from these shores.

Brexit has ensured that we have to gargle the balls of every despot with a few billion dollars in their back pocket.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It will be mass slaughter, surely there will be international outcry as soon as the first bullet is fired.

China and Russia will protest for shits and giggles. So might New Zealand but no-one will listen to them

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The precedent (or one of them) is the reaction to Israeli troops doing exactly that thing - shooting people throwing stones (or being near people throwing stones, or being Palestinian).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

The bloke's **** mental.

? I can't believe that is actually real. I just looked at it on twitter, and I still don't believe it's real.

How has he managed to find yet another  entirely new way to embarrass his country?

The actual president of the actual united states is shitposting memes, with himself as the star. 

If I stuff my head in the sand far enough to ignore the damage this piece of shit is doing, it's hilarious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The actual president of the actual united states is shitposting memes, with himself as the star. 

If I stuff my head in the sand far enough to ignore the damage this piece of shit is doing, it's hilarious.

Honestly, it's the best Soap Opera that there's ever been

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Honestly, it's the best Soap Opera that there's ever been

Oh I do hope somebody dies on Christmas Day 

Preferably Junior during an asphyxiwank whilst watching Watership Down.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Not from these shores.

Brexit has ensured that we have to gargle the balls of every despot with a few billion dollars in their back pocket.

We were doing this well before Brexit.   It's not a consequence of Brexit, more a defining characteristic of our foreign policy over many years, especially during Thatcher and Blair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

We were doing this well before Brexit.   It's not a consequence of Brexit, more a defining characteristic of our foreign policy over many years, especially during Thatcher and Blair.

Back in the days of Aegon I we were the Iron Bank.

When the fun stops.

Stop.

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I know this is tempting, but really, please don't. 

What are the effects of sanctions, including banking sanctions that are in the new package? Well, since Trump announced he would leave the nuclear deal, the rial has depreciated in value against the dollar by two thirds, which means that the price of basic essentials for living has rapidly increased. Inflation is running at over 25%. This means an enormous squeeze on living standards, or to put it less finely, a large increase in the number of people living in poverty. The effects of this are felt particularly harshly by women and girls; some common effects include withdrawing girls from education and putting them into child labour (including sex work) to raise incomes, or marrying them off at a very early age to reduce the number of mouths to feed. 

Withdrawing from the Iran agreement was stupid on the geopolitical level, and the reintroduction of sanctions is a cruel hardship on an individual level. 

Â