U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I honestly didn't think, prior to Trump, that I would see political appointments more terrible or more shameless than Harriet Myers or 'Heckuvajob Brownie' but this guy takes the biscuit. He's the literal equivalent of asking the bloke with the loudest voice in the stands to get down to the dugout and manage the team. 

Scott Pruitt and Betsy DeVos were bad, then came The Mooch (for a few days anyway), Trump appointed his old golf caddy as White House communications director after Hope hicks left.  The bar has been set high for awful political appointments yet Trump soars over it yet again.

22 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The whole criminal justice system here is set up to make money for municipalities. The District Attorneys, defense prosecutors, judges and politicians are all in on the scam.

Unless you are rich enough to buy yourself out of trouble, once the system gets it's claws into you it's nigh on impossible to get out of it.

It's great that people are getting interested and upset by this and more so now that the republicans are in charge, but an awful lot of the blame for the current state of US justice can be traced back to a certain 1990s presidency. That the Clintons have basically gotten away with having done that speaks volumes to the principles present in US politics.

11 minutes ago, villakram said:

It's great that people are getting interested and upset by this and more so now that the republicans are in charge, but an awful lot of the blame for the current state of US justice can be traced back to a certain 1990s presidency. That the Clintons have basically gotten away with having done that speaks volumes to the principles present in US politics.

I think people have been upset by the CJS in the US for a long time. Three strikes implemented by Clinton was appalling and it was nothing more than a shallow political ploy. People wanted the 'softy' Dems to be tough on crime and Bill obliged. 

• Like 2

Over and above anything else, you've got to admire Trumps ability to one-up himself. Every time you think he's done the most abhorrent thing he can do, he's there with another one, something more foul, more vain, more selfish, more insulting.

"What did I do yesterday?"

"Erm, you insulted the war dead Mr President. It was the most shocking moment of your Presidency."

"Hold my beer."

The imagination that must be required to fuel this machine of calamity is incredible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The imagination that must be required to fuel this machine of calamity is incredible

I wouldn't say imagination.  He doesn't seem imaginative, though I'm sure a lot goes on inside his head.  He utters fantastical lies, but that's not the same thing as being imaginative.

I think Sarah Silverman had it right, when she commented that US citizens are not his 10-year-old self, and he is not his cold, controlling father; so stop playing out the traumatic drama of a fruitless search for approval, this time with the scarred victim in the role of punishing father, taking it out on the population of a whole country, and many others beyond its rightful jurisdiction. 

I paraphrase.  As he might say, that's one sick puppy.

37 minutes ago, peterms said:

I wouldn't say imagination.  He doesn't seem imaginative, though I'm sure a lot goes on inside his head.  He utters fantastical lies, but that's not the same thing as being imaginative.

Ah, for me it's the wonder at the ability of the machine, not the individual; the writers, not the performer. Simultaneously exciting the stupid, handing over vast swathes of money and power to his corporate paymasters and destabilising and devaluing the democratic processes that might bring that power back. All done in the public eye and all in the shadow of his orange madness. 

I am still struggling with this whole not going out in the rain thing.  Not a squeak out of the right. I can’t recall when it was but the right/Republican’s/Fox News lost their shit when Hillary/Obama/maybe John Kerry? didn’t where a flag pin.  Heck even this kneeling thing pales into insignificance.  Where is the outrage on the right?  

51 minutes ago, Withnail said:

I am still struggling with this whole not going out in the rain thing.  Not a squeak out of the right. I can’t recall when it was but the right/Republican’s/Fox News lost their shit when Hillary/Obama/maybe John Kerry? didn’t where a flag pin.  Heck even this kneeling thing pales into insignificance.  Where is the outrage on the right?  

Corbyn's been getting hammered for wearing a waterproof coat yesterday, as it wasn't smart enough...

Looks like he might have to wait another year for that Nobel Peace Prize.

Bamboozled by Rocket Man, that's gotta sting.

North Korea hiding missile bases in remote areas: report

US think-tank names at least 13 secret bases, raising doubts over Donald Trump's signature foreign policy initiative.

North Korea is moving ahead with its ballistic missile programme, according to a new report by a US-based think-tank which identified over a dozen small undeclared bases.

Based on satellite images analysed by Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), the report detailed 13 of the suspected 20 hidden sites, which are mostly scattered in the country's remote mountainous areas.

"The ballistic missile operating bases are small, dispersed throughout the nation, and, with few exceptions, located in narrow mountain valleys," the report, which was released on Monday and could not be independently verified said.

The reported findings raised new doubts about over US President Donald Trump's assertion that "incredible" progress had been made in Washington's talks with Pyongyang. 

Trump has hailed his June summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as having opened the way to denuclearization of the divided peninsula, but the agreement between the two men was short on specifics and negotiations have made little headway.

Since that meeting, North Korea has forgone nuclear and missile tests, dismantled a missile test site and promised to also break up the country's main nuclear complex.

"North Korea's decommissioning of the Sohae satellite launch facility, while gaining much media attention, obscures the military threat to US forces and South Korea from this and other undeclared ballistic missile bases," the CSIS report said.

"These missile operating bases, which can be used for all classes of ballistic missile from short-range ballistic missile (SRBM) up to and including intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), would presumably have to be subject to declaration, verification, and dismantlement in any final and fully verifiable denuclearization deal," it added elsewhere.

According to Mark Fitzpatrick, from the International Institute for Strategic Studies, the findings did not come as a surprise. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/north-korea-hiding-missile-bases-remote-areas-report-181112200040149.html

Everything Trump has done as President can be filed under hate, greed and vanity.  There is of course a bunch of stuff he has not done because he is the laziest President ever.  The day Mueller gets him, I'm throwing a party that will register on the Richter Scale.

For Trump jr and Roger Stone, I'll just quietly enjoy a glass of wine and let my imagination roam on what it will be like in prison for them.

• Like 1

They'll all get away with it. Scumbags like this always do, and inexplicably his pathetic supporters, by the millions will continue to profess his / their innocence, cry fake news etc etc. No accountability, no responsibility, no accepting they're backing a despicable POS... democracy is bust.  Authoritarianism here on in. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, sne said:

Looks like he might have to wait another year for that Nobel Peace Prize.

Bamboozled by Rocket Man, that's gotta sting.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/11/north-korea-hiding-missile-bases-remote-areas-report-181112200040149.html

Be very cautious reading these reports. They come from a private consulting/lobbying firm with an angle. Remember Iraq?

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Be very cautious reading these reports. They come from a private consulting/lobbying firm with an angle. Remember Iraq?

Pretty sure the government and big corporations wouldn't lie to us.

:D

On 12/11/2018 at 15:25, maqroll said:

He's awarded the Medal of Honor to his largest campaign donor. Imagine Obama awarding George Soros the same medal..

We can't cast stones at the US for that. We've gone the same way, sadly.

More and more horrendous, unworthy, party donating slime receive honours here.

• Like 3

Â