U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just switched on the Beeb to have a look at Newsnight.

They're talking about the US midterms. It's Maitlis with two Americans about whom I know nothing.

I'm guessing that they've been selected for 'balance' so there's one Dem and one Repub?

The Republicanny person (and I apologise if this indicates that I don't know enough about US politics, US media or a combination of the two) is someone called Scottie Nell Hughes, who is apparently an anchor with RT America (a registered 'foreign agent' in the US) and an often/a sometimes advocate of Trump.

Good work, Auntie.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Spending 18months saying nothing but Russia, Russia, Russia might have something to do with it.

Having read a little about the astonishing scale of voter suppression and dirty tricks in general, I'm struggling to understand why there has been so much fuss about Russia and so little about the far wider interference with the election from corrupt gerrymandering domestically.

Is it the notion of foreign interference?  I suppose not, as the US would be the very last country to argue that states shouldn't interfere in foreign elections.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterms said:

Having read a little about the astonishing scale of voter suppression and dirty tricks in general, I'm struggling to understand why there has been so much fuss about Russia and so little about the far wider interference with the election from corrupt gerrymandering domestically.

Is it the notion of foreign interference?  I suppose not, as the US would be the very last country to argue that states shouldn't interfere in foreign elections.

There’s been a huge amount about gerrymandering and voter suppression

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Liberalism strikes again. "Where are the war criminals of yesteryear?". FFS

That was a cringeworthy, car crash of an interview. I think she's suffering from some sort of dementia.

No wonder people on the right laugh at the "Libs" getting irate about Trump when he trolls them. They love when he says something outrageous just because of the inane reactions from figures on the left. Streisand just looked stupid.

Just voted and visited another precinct polling place. The lines for new voters at each were longer than I've ever seen them, including presidential years. 

I'm really bemused at the fact that nobody is talking about likely Russian interference with or without the knowledge or even participation by Trump.

Massive night to say the least. The senate looks out of reach sadly, but the House should tip blue.

Just now, maqroll said:

Massive night to say the least. The senate looks out of reach sadly, but the House should tip blue.

I think Donnelly is going to lose his seat in Indiana even though he voted for f***** Kavannaugh to try and appease the redneck morons in that state.
(I went to college there and you didn't have to go far off campus to see the "F*** off N****r" signs.

Trump did 4 rallies there in the last couple of weeks.

16 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I think Donnelly is going to lose his seat in Indiana even though he voted for f***** Kavannaugh to try and appease the redneck morons in that state.
(I went to college there and you didn't have to go far off campus to see the "F*** off N****r" signs.

Trump did 4 rallies there in the last couple of weeks.

Pence turf. Real northern **** hayseeds

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Really?  In the mainstream media?  My impression was that Russia was the much bigger story.

Yes, really

Russia is a much bigger story doesn’t mean there hasn’t been plenty of stories on gerrymandering and voter suppression. They’ve even been talked about in this thread quite extensively

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Not quite the knockout blow the Dems wanted. That said, they have subpoena power now, so the bloodbath has only just begun.

Tax return subpoenas are coming. Let's see the orange piece of shit meme that. 

• Like 1

One of the interesting side stories of yesterdays election BBC Link:

US mid-terms: Florida restores voting rights to ex-convicts

An estimated 1.2 million Florida residents who have served time in prison have regained the right to vote, thanks to passage of a new state constitutional amendment.

Amendment 4 received 65% of the vote, according to the Miami Herald, changing 150-year-old language in the state's constitution.

Previously, Florida was one of just four states in the US that automatically and permanently revoked voting rights from anyone who had been convicted of a felony-level crime.

"We celebrate one of the largest expansions of the franchise in our nation's history," wrote ACLU of Florida Executive Director Howard Simon in a statement.

Previously, formerly incarcerated Floridians had to wait five years after their release, then apply for clemency from the governor's office. Since 2011, Republican Governor Rick Scott has only given the vote back to about 2,000 people.

To be eligible, former prisoners must complete their sentences and all the terms of their release, including probation. The language of the amendment excludes those convicted of murder and serious sexual offenses, but supporters still estimate that over 1 million Floridians who have served time in prison would become newly eligible to vote.

A cross-party, grassroots coalition gathered about 800,000 signatures to get the amendment on the 6 November ballot. The measure needed 60% to pass.

Supporters of the amendment argued for months that preventing former inmates from voting unfairly disenfranchised men and women who had repaid their debt to society, and prevented them from fully integrating back into society. They also argued that such laws disproportionately impact African Americans.

The amendment was endorsed by the American Civil Liberties Union, as well as the Koch brothers-backed, conservative group Freedom Partners.

"If we want people returning to society to be productive, law abiding citizens, we need to treat them like full-fledged citizens," Freedom Partners Chairman Mark Holden wrote in his endorsement.

The move also attracted significant star power from singer John Legend and Orange is the New Black author Piper Kerman.

Across the US, a patchwork of laws impacts formerly incarcerated people from voting. The Brennan Center for Justice estimates that 6 million Americans are barred from voting due to their criminal records.

In Florida, language stripping the vote from felons was written into the state constitution 150 years ago, during the post-Civil War Reconstruction Era, as a means to prevent African Americans from voting.

With passage of the amendment, Florida joins the ranks of dozens of American cities and states that have been relaxing restrictions on voting for former prisoners in recent years. In April, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo restored the voting rights of an estimated 24,000 people who are currently on probation or parole.

With 1.2 million additional votes in a massive swing state such as Florida could make 2020 very interesting... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Unbelievable that imbeciles like Marsha Blackburn and Ron DeSantis can win a statewide race.

Gillum was the superior candidate on just about every level. DeSantis is a bottom feeder, and ,a  repugnant little shit.

Much to absorb. Of note, here in the mitten a ballot measure requiring redistricting to be done by a non-partizan commission was passed with ~62% majority, progress!

It's a great shame that this will somehow be interpreted as validating the leadership of Pelosi/Schumer and Feinstein. Hopefully, the incoming class will get hard to work to clean that crew of bought and paid for shysters out.

On the other end of all the positive talk. Steve King got re-elected.

• Like 1

Â