U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

It's a great shame that this will somehow be interpreted as validating the leadership of Pelosi/Schumer and Feinstein. 

Watching and listening to the returns, I heard mostly people attributing the turnover of the house to the fact that the the Dem candidates being younger, browner, more female (gender is a spectrum, remember), etc., and the fact that a number of them had knocked off establishment candidates in the primaries.  I heard no suggestions of it validating Pelosi or Feinstein.  With that said, they expect Pelosi to be elected speaker, and the validation of her leadership in most eyes will hinge on whether she's able to hold together a slim majority to push things through and block Republican initiatives.  It will be interesting to see if trump will try to work with them on things they both support (infrastructure, for example) or if he finds them more useful as excuses for not getting anything done.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

On the other end of all the positive talk. Steve King got re-elected.

So did Duncan Hunter, the vaping congressman indicted for blatant misuse of campaign funds for personal use who tried to claim his opponent with a Palestinian-born father was trying to "infiltrate" congress for terrorists..

And so did Chris Collins, the first congressman to endorse Trump in 2016, who was indicted and arrested for insider trading and had at one point suspended his campaign.  The party tried to get him to quit but he wouldn't.  His victory confirms that Trump's base don't give a sh*t about honesty, integrity, morality as long as they like a politicians policies and rhetoric.   Of course, Trump has been confirming that day in, day out for 2+ years now, but I had a sliver of hope that it was a unique ability he had to get people to overlook his scumminess rather than a universal character defect of ~40% of the US population.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

And so did Chris Collins, the first congressman to endorse Trump in 2016, who was indicted and arrested for insider trading and had at one point suspended his campaign.  The party tried to get him to quit but he wouldn't.  His victory confirms that Trump's base don't give a sh*t about honesty, integrity, morality as long as they like a politicians policies and rhetoric.   Of course, Trump has been confirming that day in, day out for 2+ years now, but I had a sliver of hope that it was a unique ability he had to get people to overlook his scumminess rather than a universal character defect of ~40% of the US population.

:thumb:

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That was a cringeworthy, car crash of an interview. I think she's suffering from some sort of dementia.

No wonder people on the right laugh at the "Libs" getting irate about Trump when he trolls them. They love when he says something outrageous just because of the inane reactions from figures on the left. Streisand just looked stupid.

I don't really know much about Streisand or that interview in a broader context but to me it just came across as a celebrity who is out of touch and didn't really have much to offer a conversation that she's seemingly uninterested in. She offers a tale of gift exchange between two privileged people as a reason for a politician being benevolent and having common decency, that just shows it's not really a topic she is too involved with.

You'd say he's lost it, but it's clear he never really had it.

I don't know how anyone can watch him, and certainly not in this conference, and think that's a man who is suitable to be in charge of anything, let alone the most powerful nation on Earth. He's verging on unhinged.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't know how anyone can watch him, and certainly not in this conference, and think that's a man who is suitable to be in charge of anything, let alone the most powerful nation on Earth. He's verging on unhinged.

Sycophants.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I don't really know much about Streisand or that interview in a broader context but to me it just came across as a celebrity who is out of touch and didn't really have much to offer a conversation that she's seemingly uninterested in. She offers a tale of gift exchange between two privileged people as a reason for a politician being benevolent and having common decency, that just shows it's not really a topic she is too involved with.

oh she’s interested in it, she released an anti-trump song/album ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chindie said:

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

oh she’s interested in it, she released an anti-trump song/album ?

I googled it. She gives an interview on the song where she says it could be about anyone, a relationship, a breakup, any situation where someone lies to another.

It bothers her when people lie and Trump lies frequently.

Not exactly the most politically insightful piece of work but I her hearts in the right place I guess.

• Like 1

Â