U.S. Politics

maqroll

54 minutes ago, sne said:

Wow, that's 1/8th of the worlds population trying to get into the US in 6 months. Seems like a lot :D 

That's just the ones apprehended! Just think how many there are in total. :huh:

• Haha 1

I suppose if the Americans are going to bring home manufacturing they will need a large pool of cheap labour.

The gospel according to CNN, says that America had 11.3 million unfilled vacancies back in January.

Immigration was unrestricted until 1924 and Upton Sinclair's famous book, The Jungle (1906), describes the conditions the immigrants endured, in the case of the Chicago meat packing industry.

I think it is hard to make the case that the USA will suffer a noticable shift in violence and criminality, as Sweden has, because the United States is bad enough already.

The biggest risk for new immigrants is slavery.

The UK government estimate that there are more than 13000 slaves in this country, and so presumably the USA have a similar or greater proportion.

There is a theory that emigration provides an escape valve for political tensions in countries like Mexico because those who might challenge the corrupt government and drug cartels, leave.

I don't think Winslow's The Power of the Dog is much of an exaggeration.

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Time to pay Donald.

He either won't pay it and nothing will happen or he'll just fundraise off his zombies. He can easily bank 10k a day off them.

Musk promises to “unlock” the potential of Twitter by easing what he considers to be unjustified restrictions on free speech. 

Looks very much like Trump will be back online shortly. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Musk promises to “unlock” the potential of Twitter by easing what he considers to be unjustified restrictions on free speech. 

Looks very much like Trump will be back online shortly. 

All the more reason to delete my account. 

Twitter gives you access to some really smart people but it's also such a cesspool. And a major time suck.

• Like 1

I have an account on Twitter but haven't logged in for some time. I think Musk's influence, if it comes off, will be the end for some accounts. He truly is an utter word removed and I personally want nothing to do with him. I suspect he wants a wild west of the internet. Mike Love level of word removed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have an account on Twitter but haven't logged in for some time. I think Musk's influence, if it comes off, will be the end for some accounts. He truly is an utter word removed and I personally want nothing to do with him. I suspect he wants a wild west of the internet. Mike Love level of word removed. 

Has he ever shown a political leaning? Other than the law of Musk?

Would he be described as a Libertarian?

5 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Libertarian is close to what he is politically. 

Depends how serious he is in 'making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans'.  If he can manage all of that then I don't mind the idea of people being able to spout whatever bollocks they want.  Not that I have twitter anyway.

15 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Interestingly, back in 2012 he only donated to Dem politicians and Mitt Romney accused Tesla of being a 'loser' company that couldn't exist without public subsidy. By 2016, he maxxed out donations to both Republican and Democrat campaign committees (this is what most normal rich people do) and then by 2020 he was only donating to Republicans.

On 25/04/2022 at 20:45, DCJonah said:

I'm sure Musk buying twitter won't make that country even more divided. 

Facebook and twitter destroying democracy.

The way I look at it, Twitter is what people decide to write on it.

I have no idea what Musk's reign will bring. No one does. So I'd be careful on passing too harsh of a judgement on it.

Making country more divided? Nothing changed (yet). I think the over reaching reactions from all sides to a thing that won't even officially happen for the next few months show just how much WE are divided and ideologically driven. Ye shall know them by their fruits and all that. 

The best thing about social media is that you don't have to use them. 

It is literally nauseating to see how the GOP is planning to rig the elections and torpedo what's left of democracy. The Democrats don't seem to have the ability to stop it. We are entering an era of autocracy. Minority rule. It is going to get really **** ugly.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

It is literally nauseating to see how the GOP is planning to rig the elections and torpedo what's left of democracy.

Can you explain please as I’m unaware what the plan is. Thanks.

Â