U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 25/02/2022 at 17:27, DCJonah said:

I know the focus is Russia at the moment but America scares the shit out of me. 

The republican party have just gone ape shit crazy. They tried to steal an election, they are banning books from being read in schools, they are going after transgender kids, they are controlling women's rights and now want to get rid of the department for education. 

Even though he lost, trump becoming president seems to have really just shifted things way to the right there. 

We are living a nightmare here. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 20:11, OutByEaster? said:

This is where the US is strange - in other countries people would look at the same problem and describe it as "Education isn't great, so support for it is healthy I'd say".

Y'know, an attitude of 'this thing we all need and benefits us all is in trouble and we should be working really hard to improve it'.

In the US, that's considered state interference gone mad and ideologically there's a constant push to end state deliverance of any service - to move to a model of for-profit education, or healthcare, or military, or everything. 

"Opposition" suggests a conflict and in a conflict between public services run for the benefit of a society and public services run for the profit of shareholders, I know where my loyalties would be - the systematic defunding of public healthcare to make it less able to resist and repel the avarice of private providers is a political disgrace that's second only to the US healthcare system as indicators of a country where democracy is failing.

Having "opposition" to state services like education or healthcare is just a strange thing to me - opposition to keeping the for-profit vultures out of it on the other hand is entirely understandable.

They want to deconstruct the government. It's the natural progression of a movement that started with Barry Goldwater. They have a fundamental cynicism towards government and a hostility towards pluralism and "the common good". They dabble in White supremacy. Nixon and Reagan were both racist.  We know where Trump stands. They want to disenfranchise Black and Latino people, keep Native tribes oppressed, and if they can torpedo public education, that's a big step toward achieving that. 

They want us to pay for education and healthcare and they want the profits. If you can't afford it, good luck. They want to kill the postal service, public television/radio, They want our social security money too and who will stop them? They want a Mad Max style future where might and money make right and all the little people battle for resources. Climate change will make things even worse.

Happy days!

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Dems & Republicans standing up to applaud Biden's introduction to the State of the Union. And his first comments. Usually the opposition party always stay seated for everything. (Obama was heckled.)

Could Putin have actually started to bridge some divides in America?

• Like 1

The President announced to great cheers that the United States would close US airspace to Russian aircraft with immediate effect.

"Putin is now more isolated from the rest of the world than he has ever been," Biden said.

- He has no idea what to expect.

He also warned Russia's rich oligarchs that the West is on the hunt for their "illegal riches".

"Tonight I say to Russian oligarchs and corrupt leaders who have fraudulently earned billions thanks to this violent regime that it is over," Biden said.

Putin prefers to read

- The US Department of Justice is putting together a special force to investigate the crime of the Russian oligarchs. We join forces with our European allies to find and seize your yachts, luxury apartments and private planes.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/7dgVp8/joe-bidens-state-of-the-union-tal-i-natt-putin-vet-inte-vad-som-vantar

Great! Now go do the same to the people from the west, China and the Arab states that are doing the same or worse. No? OK carry on.

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Good god, what is wrong with these monsters?

Republicans in the same state are trying to put through a law that would make it a crime to assist someone in getting an out of state abortion.   Obviously, totally unconstitutional and would never hold up, but it's hard to believe the gall of these right wing religious fascists.

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Republicans in the same state are trying to put through a law that would make it a crime to assist someone in getting an out of state abortion.   Obviously, totally unconstitutional and would never hold up, but it's hard to believe the gall of these right wing religious fascists.

The Handmaid's Tale is not a warning to them it's their wet dream.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am not sure abortion is a subject which can be decently debated but 73 million abortions a year globally (WHO), is still a very shocking number.

Would you rather have millions of women die?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am not sure abortion is a subject which can be decently debated but 73 million abortions a year globally (WHO), is still a very shocking number.

Abortion of ectopic pregnancies is. Not aborting is death to both mother and child. There is no debate to be had.

On 12/03/2022 at 16:01, TheAuthority said:

Don’t even start me on people know their baby will only live for a few minutes or hours in agonizing pain and discomfort, but decide to go through with the birth to show their neighbors how Christian they are.

In Poland, the government and very well funded shadowy foundations are promoting hospices, where women go in the late stages of their pregnancies, wait to give birth, have the minutes/hours with their terminal baby, name them, bless them, bury them and leave.

Chilling if I'm honest.

• Sad 1

Â