Jimzk5

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

All it needed was to play Guzan...I'm convinced we wouldn't have conceded at least one of the goals from a corner in the first leg with the form he was in that year.

In fairness that team finished the prem season pretty well...the tie just came at a terrible moment for us mentallty given what happened that xmas.

Ah yes wasn't it 4-5 games on the trot that bozo lambert couldn't get them to defend corners and we conceded ear enough every game via corners?

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You honestly cannot be suggesting that, that side isn't capable to beat Bradford over two legs? The home game was a absolute disgrace

I remember walking out of that home game feeling certain it'd be the last game that guy was in charge for.

I think other people have already replied well to "that team would sturggle in the championship", which I agree is bollocks, but let's not forget, they weren't in the Championship. They were in League 2. They weren't even doing well in League 2, they were midtable.

Losing to a team 3 divisions lower than us over 2 matches is one of the most embarrassing results in my lifetime. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

Unlikely there will be a worse result than that in our lifetime

I still think the Liverpool game was worse last season. it was just pathetic all around summed up by Kolo Toure scoring. as Merse said at the time he was surprised some of Villa players didnt go celebrate with him

then Bradford then far behind Doncaster

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I remember walking out of that home game feeling certain it'd be the last game that guy was in charge for.

I think other people have already replied well to "that team would sturggle in the championship", which I agree is bollocks, but let's not forget, they weren't in the Championship. They were in League 2. They weren't even doing well in League 2, they were midtable.

Losing to a team 3 divisions lower than us over 2 matches is one of the most embarrassing results in my lifetime. 

The biggest humiliation was that Doncaster night and I never thought that could be topped but lambert managed it over two legs

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I still think the Liverpool game was worse last season. it was just pathetic all around summed up by Kolo Toure scoring. as Merse said at the time he was surprised some of Villa players didnt go celebrate with him

then Bradford then far behind Doncaster

Losing to a team 2 leagues below, over 180 minutes, in a Cup Semi Final is far worse than losing in a random league game against a team that scores a lot of goals.

I think the only team that could top it would be losing at home to a non-league side at Villa Park. Even then it'd probably need to be later on in the competition seeing as we put out a first XI against Bradford.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Lambert at wolves, lol. We go again at the custard bowl.

I love that 'custard bowl' jibe, I make it myself regularly. Sadly Bird's have changed the colour of custard so it's now basically white, rendering the joke a bit wronger really. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

lamebert at wolves

sherwood at QPR

:detect:

2 more teams who will no doubt save their best performance of the season for when we rock up

it does however hopefully mean the aston villa early retirement holiday resort is down to just ginger bollocks and remi

Edited by villa4europe

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Lambert had a good record at Norwich and he did ok with us with limited resources, however he has changed his footballing philosophy and if he sticks with the Bayern way, theres only one way it will go.

No, he didn't do ok with us.

It was terrible, abysmal football that for a few years killed my enjoyment of this sport. 

• Like 3

Increasingly I think he was a chancer who had a few good years at a well run club like Norwich. The rest of his managerial career is poor to average.  He didn't have the balls to complain about the budget at Villa, he took his big contract and only now he is making a issue of it to make himself look better. I don't think he will do much at Wolves.

• Like 1

On 09/11/2016 at 03:19, kurtsimonw said:

Losing to a team 2 leagues below, over 180 minutes, in a Cup Semi Final is far worse than losing in a random league game against a team that scores a lot of goals.

I think the only team that could top it would be losing at home to a non-league side at Villa Park. Even then it'd probably need to be later on in the competition seeing as we put out a first XI against Bradford.

The Chelsea loss vs. Bradford was "worse" IMO, mainly given the players that Chelsea had out and the fact they were 2-0 up at home with less than an hour to play.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2016 at 07:39, Keyblade said:

Nah, back to back promotions followed by a comfortable midtable PL finish were no fluke. It remains to be seen if he isn't completely finished as a manager, but credit where it's due.

I didn't say it was a fluke. I said he caught lightening in a bottle. It happens a lot, e.g. Paul Jewell. 

Â