Jimzk5

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Does your feud with Watford predate last season’s semi final?  What’s the origin of it?

Feud is probably too strong a word, but last season we seemed to be in each other’s way all season, which reminds me of Wolves and Villa in the championship, and I believe because of our vicinity that has stuck around. I guess we like a grudge. Correct me if I’m wrong but you lot and Newcastle don’t get on do you?

with Watford There was a fan of theres badly hurt in Wolverhampton a few years back then last season when they beat us home their ex Albion keeper was rubbing it in on Twitter and Deeney was a bit of a prick after the semi. 

We seemed to be rivals for the last European spot all season, it was good to beat them in April after that semi final. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Feud is probably too strong a word, but last season we seemed to be in each other’s way all season, which reminds me of Wolves and Villa in the championship, and I believe because of our vicinity that has stuck around. I guess we like a grudge. Correct me if I’m wrong but you lot and Newcastle don’t get on do you?

with Watford There was a fan of theres badly hurt in Wolverhampton a few years back then last season when they beat us home their ex Albion keeper was rubbing it in on Twitter and Deeney was a bit of a prick after the semi. 

We seemed to be rivals for the last European spot all season, it was good to beat them in April after that semi final. 

We don't give a monkey about Newcastle, but they didn't like it when we were the last game of the season in which we won 1-0 (Damien Duff og) sent them down to the championship.

We had that game where we won and Bowyer and Dyer had a fight, but it's only since the game we put them down they have a thing for us, but it's not really reciprocated.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy81 said:

They all looked like they’d be frauds at conference level today to be honest. 

Interesting how you'll line up v Chelsea. Boly suspended and looks to me like Ryan Bennett is really struggling this season so might be wise to take him out for a while if you had more options...guess you'll put Saiss in there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We don't give a monkey about Newcastle, but they didn't like it when we were the last game of the season in which we won 1-0 (Damien Duff og) sent them down to the championship.

We had that game where we won and Bowyer and Dyer had a fight, but it's only since the game we put them down they have a thing for us, but it's not really reciprocated.  

They really swallowed all that second team stuff that started in the mid 90s under Keegan. I think they honestly couldn't believe another club fans could find it hilarious when they got relegated and so they've had it in for us ever since that 2009 game. Even more amusing is we pretty much relegated them again in May 2016 and that was the only point we took in the last three months of that season.

The word from those that go to the away game up there is that it gets pretty hostile when queueing to get in.

9 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Deeney is always a prick, thinks he is something he is not. Seems to be advertising himself to be a Roy Keane type pundit in retirement 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but you lot and Newcastle don’t get on do you?

the absolute non entity of our rivalry

we obviously relegated them and took the piss which they hated but then the championship stuff was then building up to be the same with leeds if we had stayed down there, like 2 bald men fighting over a comb, fighting for relevancy, finishing above villa to say you're a bigger fish, which really meant not a lot because we were down there because we were shit, when they got promoted they took the piss and some of our lot bit

baggies were at it for years and as you know some wolves fans are at it now, the modern "big club" nonsense 

• Like 2

Probably shows how well they did last season but they're already well down on their points compared to same games last season. Took 9 points compared to the 3 this season. Got Chelsea at home next up who they also beat last season so if Chelsea wake up they could already be 9 points off.

It's interesting. Even finishing 7th they got 52 points? Take off ten points from that and suddenly 42 points means you're in the bottom 8 and looking over your shoulder for much of the year. Shows the margins from having a very good season to a pretty poor one.

If you look at 07/08 and 10/11 leagues we finished one season on 60 points and another on 48 points. Those seasons were completely different in what we were trying to do, 10/11 was a mad struggle against relegation for half of it IIRC.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

If you look at 07/08 and 10/11 leagues we finished one season on 60 points and another on 48 points. Those seasons were completely different in what we were trying to do, 10/11 was a mad struggle against relegation for half of it IIRC.

Yeah we suddenly came good at the end of 10/11 which had us finish 9th.  That didn’t really tell the story of that season at all, but I thought we were starting to look decent.  

Then McCleish happened...

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 12:45, Wainy316 said:

Yeah we suddenly came good at the end of 10/11 which had us finish 9th.  That didn’t really tell the story of that season at all, but I thought we were starting to look decent.  

Then McCleish happened...

To be honest, we were going to struggle even without him. We depended a lot on Ashley and  Downing, all gone. We got N'Zogbia, Jenas (who played only couple of minutes), Hutton and Given. In reality it was an overhaul but can't see those players doing good wether it was Mcleish or anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised so many fans we so keen on a long Europa campaign. Squad no where big enough for it.

Di some of them just assume they would be safe in the league because of last season. They probably should be but this is football........

If it looks like it might go tits up they will absolutely sacrifice Europe. The premier league is everything. I can see them picking up relatively soon. It happened to a much lesser extent when they were pissing the championship they had a run of about 4 shit games getting hammered to forest etc before they woke up. Overconfidence is their killer

Â