Jimzk5

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

LOL @ every Billy Big Balls Wolves fan who has talked cavalcades of shite over the last 3 years.

It's a bit early yet, but I couldn't help but send a screenshot of the league table to the Wolves mate who has been barraging me with 'mind the gap' stuff for the last few years. 

Edited by PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

There isn’t too much for them to worry about tbh. Had a tough start (Leicester and Everton away, Man Utd, Burnley and Chelsea at home) and only lost 2 of those. Including European games - and Torino aren’t a terrible side - only Leicester have managed to keep Wolves out. 

Their problem seems to be defence - and it was their weakness last season too. They simply don’t keep clean sheets.

Where they lie after their next 5 games (Palace (A), Watford (H), Man City (A), Southampton (H), Newcastle (A)) will give a better indicator of how they’ll fare this season - particularly as European games are scattered in amongst that lot. 

I think it’s partly because they did so well in the corresponding fixtures last season - particularly against the stronger teams. They picked up 12 points from those 5 games, compared to 3 this season (and from what I understand - admittedly I didn’t watch them - they could easily have picked up nothing in the Man Utd and Burnley games....on the flip side they could have won against Leicester in fairness).

A quick look at the next 5 games they have, they picked up 9 points last season in the same fixtures. I think if they achieved something similar again then that would suggest they’ll be fine. If they only picked up a handful of points (or fewer), then maybe it’ll prove to be a harder season than most would have thought. I think they’ll be on around 10-12 points after those matches.

• Like 1

They didn't keep clean sheets much but they usually only conceded once in many of the games last season. In five games last season they conceded five goals. This season ten.

It was a fixed trio of Coady-Bennett-Boly last season. One is massively out of form and the other was suspended yesterday. I also think if you can get a quick forward like Tammy isolated against Connor Coady his mobility gets exposed, don't think he's good enough for England call up at all.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

They didn't keep clean sheets much but they usually only conceded once in many of the games last season. In five games last season they conceded five goals. This season ten.

It was a fixed trio of Coady-Bennett-Boly last season. One is massively out of form and the other was suspended yesterday. I also think if you can get a quick forward like Tammy isolated against Connor Coady his mobility gets exposed, don't think he's good enough for England call up at all.

Nope Coady is a tryer and a worker. He's not bad, but he lacks the ability to play at the top level. Laughable that Wolves fans think that he is better than Mings. Mings is a tryer, a worker, physically imposing, quality on the ball and intelligent. And he plays for s bigger club. 

Also, well done Tammy. 

• Like 2

It's not as Wolves done that well against the lesser teams last season. These type of games is where they used to get their points from. 

Anyway we need them around us, it would be fantastic to be above them coming end of next season.

On 15/09/2019 at 13:19, PompeyVillan said:

Nope Coady is a tryer and a worker. He's not bad, but he lacks the ability to play at the top level. Laughable that Wolves fans think that he is better than Mings. Mings is a tryer, a worker, physically imposing, quality on the ball and intelligent. And he plays for s bigger club. 

Also, well done Tammy. 

This is part of the point I'm making when I say that they have a number of players not as good as advertised. Coady and Bennett are extremely average players who happened to play out of their skins last season, they are now performing at their true level, which is bottom half premier league at their very best. It's no wonder they're shipping goals left right and centre.

• Like 1

Coady is a very good player, one of the most comfortable defenders on the ball in the Premier league, and played a big part Wolves' having a very good defence last season, was one of their best players. If he had a fancy Portugese name and was a Mendes client, people would probably be saying how good he is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Coady is a very good player, one of the most comfortable defenders on the ball in the Premier league, and played a big part Wolves' having a very good defence last season, was one of their best players. If he had a fancy Portugese name and was a Mendes client, people would probably be saying how good he is.

How about no. He has no pace, doesn't read the game well, very very average defensively.

No he's a good player. The player of their's who I think is overrated is Neves, was brilliant in the championship, but nowhere near as affective in the Premier league last season, still a decent player but as pretty much become a midfielder who for the most part keeps it's simple deep in midfield, and scores the odd spectacular goal, again he's a good player but nowhere near as good as he's been hyped up to be.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

This has to be one of the most tired tropes around. 

Has he? He's been getting a decent amount of stick on the Wolves forum this year. From what I've seen of him he's never struck me as anything more than a run-of-the-mill premier league defender and his WhoScored rating for last year is woeful, Wily Boly has always looked head and shoulders above the rest of their CBs and it's backed up by the stats.

But perhaps myself and the algorithm are biased by his lack of a fancy name.

He's been getting some stick this season, as they've been very poor defensively, but ask any Wolves fan and they will tell you how good he's been for them since Nuno converted him to a central-defender, main reason they did as well as they did last season was because of their defence and as good as Boly is he isn't to credit for that alone, Coady too as also been very good for them, and not just defensively, he also starts a lot of attacks for them with his balls out wide. I know they're conceding goals at the moment, but if come the end of the season if we've conceded the same amount as they have then I think we will have done well.

They look at the moment like the textbook case of an organisation - familiar across many industries, not just football - who have a manager who has succeeded in capturing lightning in a bottle, and in front of whom all supervisors abandon their critical faculties. 

That teams playing in the Europa League suffer a statistically-significant decline in their league form is just an observable fact these days, not merely a hypothesis. That this happens more dramatically to mid-table sides with smaller squads is similarly clear. None of this is a secret; footballers repeatedly explain that it's not just the physical burden but also the mental burden of the travel, being away from home, and having to be at your sharpest nearly twice as often. 

The answer, quite clearly, is a larger squad. Yet the miracle manager said he prefers to work with a small squad, so they didn't bring in many players over the summer, and some of those they did bring in are 'projects' who can't improve the first team, and then he keeps picking the same team in the league, because as humans we usually default to what has worked for us before. 

The problem is that if - and of course it's a big if, they still have a lot of very good players and could definitely turn this around - the club decide to sack the manager in, say, two months time, then the new manager will have to cope with a tiny squad through the winter fixture list, and then the club will have to foot the bill for a January trolley dash. 

All in all, it seems an excellent argument for weighting the club's 'say' in transfers a bit more highly, and the manager's a bit less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

No hint of it yet as far as I know but sacking the manager would be utterly moronic.

Although hilariously, as of today, a rumour is going around that Fosun know Nuno is going to leave and is very close to accepting a job (that may or may not be the Portugal national team) and will be replaced with Mourinho.

I'd absolutely love Mourinho to come in and rip apart any good feeling left in the squad while playing dreadful football.

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Although hilariously, as of today, a rumour is going around that Fosun know Nuno is going to leave and is very close to accepting a job (that may or may not be the Portugal national team) and will be replaced with Mourinho.

I'd absolutely love Mourinho to come in and rip apart any good feeling left in the squad while playing dreadful football.

Wolves fans will be fuming to have a 3 time Premier League and 2 time Champions League winning manager in charge

Â