Jimzk5

if it wasn't for others potentially poaching nuno and neves next summer I would say wolves getting some good wins in Europe, getting some headlines and attention outside of the UK and then finishing 7th qualifying again next year is a very very good season (that is assuming everton or Leicester don't finish 4th in which case it becomes heres what you could have won)

On 19/08/2019 at 23:14, penguin said:

Neves is far too good for Wolves.

I think it's getting much harder to take players out of PL clubs. Even Palace kept Zaha and sold Bissaka for a huge amount. I don't think it's easy to say "too good" for Wolves. However, now they're in a place wether they improve or they need to start looking at offers for players.

No club can keep their best players forever, but if you know how to sell, when to sell, who to sell to. Then a plan of the rebuild you could keep going.

I think Wolves are going in the right direction, they have a good financial support. From their work they deserve players like Neves. 

I think Wolves, Everton and Leicester are clubs that can get whoever they want in terms if players, but the wise moves is what are the realistic players that could help you to improve but also you just don't pay a huge value for no return.

We were on par with Spurs, different models led to our current statues.

We even kept Jack while we were in the championship.

I think big clubs started to run away from buy over the odds from the England. Which I think is good for us. Players like Ashley Young would have been great for us, yes he had an ok career in Man Utd, but you'd think he's a waste there. No one have confidence in him. Downing was a much worse example.

• Like 1

Last I was here I was moaning about the dodgy signing and Traore being awful. Well Traore has been superb in his last two outings and been showing all the things I said he would never be able to do, and the lad I thought was a clear scam, looks really good. I think I will keep all other opinions to myself for a while! 

Last night was superb watching Wolves in a proper European contest. Enjoyed the others but this was different. Slightly disappointed the tie is still as close as it is as Wolves were superb. 

On a side note looking forward to finally seeing Villa properly this evening. My Villa mate is already having a confidence wobble after your start, but got faith you are better than at least 3 of the other sides once you get going. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think it's getting much harder to take players out of PL clubs. Even Palace kept Zaha and sold Bissaka for a huge amount. I don't think it's easy to say "too good" for Wolves. However, now they're in a place wether they improve or they need to start looking at offers for players.

No club can keep their best players forever, but if you know how to sell, when to sell, who to sell to. Then a plan of the rebuild you could keep going.

I think Wolves are going in the right direction, they have a good financial support. From their work they deserve players like Neves. 

I think Wolves, Everton and Leicester are clubs that can get whoever they want in terms if players, but the wise moves is what are the realistic players that could help you to improve but also you just don't pay a huge value for no return.

We were on par with Spurs, different models led to our current statues.

We even kept Jack while we were in the championship.

I think big clubs started to run away from buy over the odds from the England. Which I think is good for us. Players like Ashley Young would have been great for us, yes he had an ok career in Man Utd, but you'd think he's a waste there. No one have confidence in him. Downing was a much worse example.

I don’t particularly rate Zaha especially for the money they wanted and think Neves would walk into Champions League level team but you make a good point.

Wolves hitting a few roadblocks. They're finding out that the Europa League is domestic league curse and I think suffering from a bit of second season syndrome.

They seem to struggle against bottom 10 opponents, who play a more physical game and don't allow them the space to counter them. They're outstanding at playing counter attacking football against strong opponents. 

I've read Wolves fans saying Neves needs a pure destroyer next to him because he isn't physical enough. 

Nuno Espirito Santo is a manager that seems to value the synergy that playing a consistent 11 brings, and is reluctant to change that dynamic. If they have a decent run in the Europa League and/or a domestic cup their domestic form could be quite interesting. 

They're an interesting club, some of their fans have got wildly carried away with their relative success so it will be interesting to see what happens if they don't match what they did last season. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he's sounding more and more like a foreign MON

He pretty much is except with a lot more tactical flexibility and coachibg ability to improve players. 

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I understand the comparison to MON in preferring a small squad and a settled starting XI, but what other similarity is there?

counter attacking, being better vs good teams but then struggling to break down poorer teams at home when the counter attack doesn't work

you could also make an argument for me that MONs teams never got a proper big bastard at the base of midfield, barry, petrov, NRC, gardner all in there but trying to think of others in the league at the time I thought we needed like a diop or diame in there as a bit of muscle

• Like 1

I can see them absolutely sacking off the cups to have a good go at Europa League and Prem. They have had some lucky results this season you could argue they deserve to be on one point. As the season goes on though I think they'll pick up. Might struggle through winter but after that will be decent. 

Torino are no scalp but it was still a good victory. Yesterday they can be happy they got something out of the game. Burnley look a good side this season. Also remember that wolves had a poor record against bottom half teams last season . 

• Like 1

They really struggled yesterday, Burnley should've been 3 up at half time.

This was after a two and hour bit flight to Turin and also resting key players like Ruben Neves on Thursday. Surprised Cutrone didn't get a start yesterday.

I get Nuno prefers a small squad but think that could really hurt them as the season goes on. If Chelsea and Arsenal can drop plenty of points last season after Europa Thursdays then Wolves certainly can.

We actually play them in November after a europa game so hopefully they'll get Azerbaijan trip.

the whole sunday game performance dip after a EL game is complete and utter bollocks, its a myth the media concocted and players play up to, moutinho for example has 116 caps for Portugal and 124 appearances in European competition but playing 3 games in 8 days with 2 flights in between causes his performance to drop? not having it

CL doesn't do it, international tournaments don't do it but Thursday night games are different? nope, its a get out of jail card

• Like 1

Clearly their squad is too thin, they lack depth all over, obviously it's only their second season up so hard to expect them to have a squad with strength in depth but the Europa League alongside ridiculous expectations from fans is going to be something of a curse for them.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the whole sunday game performance dip after a EL game is complete and utter bollocks, its a myth the media concocted and players play up to, moutinho for example has 116 caps for Portugal and 124 appearances in European competition but playing 3 games in 8 days with 2 flights in between causes his performance to drop? not having it

CL doesn't do it, international tournaments don't do it but Thursday night games are different? nope, its a get out of jail card

Well it's the opponents. Europa League has far flung teams from Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Israel even central Russia

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well it's the opponents. Europa League has far flung teams from Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Israel even central Russia

but wolves didn't play in eastern Europe on Thursday, the EL excuse is exactly that, an excuse

Â