January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

People keep saying he wouldn't come here. Why?

He joined Galatasaray for £8.3m and £120k / week wages. He didn't want to go there but was forced out of Inter and the wages helped soften the blow.

If we gave Inter the same £8.3m tx fee and gave Sneijder £60k / week wages with a £2m signing bonus, then when he has to choose between the Premier League or Turkey, why would he not choose us?

Give him a 2 year contract with a release clause to allay any relegation fears and he's sorted.

I fail to see your logic apart from a simple dismissive 'he wouldn't come here'.

two words: Champions League.

He joined Galatasaray for £8.3m and £120k / week wages. He didn't want to go there but was forced out of Inter and the wages helped soften the blow.

If we gave Inter the same £8.3m tx fee and gave Sneijder £60k / week wages with a £2m signing bonus, then when he has to choose between the Premier League or Turkey, why would he not choose us?

Give him a 2 year contract with a release clause to allay any relegation fears and he's sorted.

I fail to see your logic apart from a simple dismissive 'he wouldn't come here'.

Makes you wonder why nobody else was in for him. Pretty sure QPR, Newcastle, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, even Swansea could afford him. I'd even go as far as Arsenal and United being able to improve by signing him. He's always been good enough for any team in the Prem, or in the world for that fact.

Really think there is more in it than what we see or hear, because there is no way on earth that only one team in the world wanted him.

I would love to see him here but that deal you describe would cost the club £16m and he'd be available on a free transfer in 2 seasons' time. I just don't understand why other clubs who are playing Champions League football aren't going for him, let alone us.

Makes you wonder why nobody else was in for him. Pretty sure QPR, Newcastle, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, even Swansea could afford him. I'd even go as far as Arsenal and United being able to improve by signing him. He's always been good enough for any team in the Prem, or in the world for that fact.

Really think there is more in it than what we see or hear, because there is no way on earth that only one team in the world wanted him.

You may well be right with this.

two words: Champions League.

Yes, but Premier League vs crap league + Champions League. Proving himself in the top league.

No frigging chance he'd come here. Gala can offer him champions league, an infinitely bigger basic wage plus the inevitable signing on fee and other bonuses. We can't compete.

But I've already addressed the wages.

No because you haven't taken into account the obvious signing on fee and bonuses Gala will give him, plus the obvious fact that AVFC aren't looking to sign players on those sorts of wages any more. It would be a complete fallacy to think that we would ever be in for a player like him, it's football manager stuff TBH.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

With a big signing on fee? why would he accept that? How do you know he doesn't have already big signing on fee demands?

Players want big wages every week for a reason, they do not want a lump sum and small wages.

Sneijder etc would never come here people need to get the claret and blue specs off.

We are not a top 6 team anymore and haven't been for some time, we are a team that tries to avoid relegation now.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

His reputation as big troublemaker with huge ego probably put off other teams - "more trouble than worth" I'd say.

Also Liverpool claimedly close signing Coutinho, I'm gonna **** hate to see him playing for Liverpodge.

I don't think we need to worry if they're only claimedly close to signing him.

;)

Sneijder got a nice pay off from Inter as it was , 2.5 mil Euro take that off Fee they received and they didn't get that much for him at all.

I would say that in the 6 years Randy has owned Villa ,the wages for players has gone increased alot. Take for instance Dunne ,Ireland and Given all brought from Man City and 3 of our top earners simple because City paid out stupid wages and to get said players we had to match or in Givens case we lowered salary but gave him long term deal.This Sissoko is apparantly a top player ,I have never seen him play so can't comment but is he worth £75k a week for 5 years ?

Pat Murphy@patmurphybbc

@Maradona_AVFC10 He knows he needs more bodies in but today didn't appear too optimistic.Would be a good poker player,PL.Very realistic,tho'

Edited by Nabby

Apparently earlier in the window he turned down an offer from QPR. So obviously playing for a relegation threatened Premier League team didn't interest him. QPR are likely to have offered him far more than we would've as well. His agent also said -- "England probably has the top league in Europe, so it could appeal, but Wes would want to play for a top team."

Edited by kurtsimonw

I agree with the poker player analogy that Murphy uses in regards to Lambert. The hand he suggests he has (by body language) is not the one he actually has.

I think that Lambert is playing his cards close to his chest and is willing to play "chicken" somewhat with agents as the deadline approaches. Which is a bit dangerous.

I know there is money to spend.

I also think he'll use the loan system as a last resort, rather than getting nobody in, but he'd rather get his targets, obviously.

Edited by Mazrim

Sneijder would not take a near 200k paycut to join Villa

Except Graham Taylor signed McGrath.

I think the original poster was saying when Mcgrath signed for Manure, not sure Graham Taylor managed manure, unless you are counting Andy Sinton and Stuart Ripley