January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Well Lambert has said that he will not buy anyone for the sake of it, and he needs to buy players in who are better than the players already here. If we can't get the players we want due to wage demands then I think it would be best to just try get a couple of loans in. Though, who we could bring in I have no idea.

I have the feeling that us not buying any players yet is more to do with Lambert than our board/Lerner. Lambert strikes me as someone who is too used to paying small salaries and hates haggling with the teams and agents - we need someone like Big Fat Ron on board to do negotiating :D.

Time to start using the money that is 'there'. Unfortunately, paying over the odds is the norm in January, so again, it's a question of whether the club feel that we have enough to stay up as things stand, and that is an enormous risk to take given how things have been going.

Would anyone take Nathan Redmond from blues? Seems they want to sell everyone they can. Would probably be cheap and low wages.

redmond still is massive potential, still 19, burst on the scene similar to albrighton and then faded after 6 months and yet to rediscover the potential, id take him here, but at the £6million they are rumoured to want for him, they can keep him

I have the feeling that us not buying any players yet is more to do with Lambert than our board/Lerner. Lambert strikes me as someone who is too used to paying small salaries and hates haggling with the teams and agents - we need someone like Big Fat Ron on board to do negotiating :D.

I disagree, I think Lambert has been given some very tough constraints this window especially concerning wages and the need to 'sell to buy'. It's obvious that we can't shift our deadwood and this is impacting on Lambert's ability to buy.

When BFR signed McGrath at United he offered him less wages than he was getting in Ireland, because he knew he'd sign anyway.

It saddens me to see a player of the quality of Sneijder signing for Galatasaray.

I believe he would have preferred the Premier League to the Turkish league.

Short-term contract with release clauses and a signing fee to keep wages sensible.

I think he would have been the box to box quality midfielder we needed. In total it would have cost us c. £10m. The feel-good factor, the statement of intent, the increased ticket and merchandise sales, the positivity around the players, and the much higher chance of staying up were easily worth that.

Massive opportunity missed, to me.

When BFR signed McGrath at United he offered him less wages than he was getting in Ireland, because he knew he'd sign anyway.

But BFR was very good negotiating and wheeling' dealin', as far as I've gathered.

Edited by Jarpie

It's January. Other clubs are strengthening. Pay what is required to get the types of players we NEED to move away from the relegation zone.

It's not that simple though. If we signed Sissoko today we'd probably have to give him an extra 20k a week than if we signed him in 10 days' time. I'm starting to think we should have a 2 week winter break and the transfer window is only open then

This is problem for the players in demand they and their agents are just waiting to be offered silly money I.E Remy at QPR.Problem with us is we are been so badly burnt by giving players high wages who were no use to use and we were/are unable to shift we don't want to go down that route again.

That said with the price of failure ,relegation so high we might have to compromise on our stance somewhat

I disagree, I think Lambert has been given some very tough constraints this window especially concerning wages and the need to 'sell to buy'. It's obvious that we can't shift our deadwood and this is impacting on Lambert's ability to buy.

Maybe, but desperate times needs desperate measures.

It saddens me to see a player of the quality of Sneijder signing for Galatasaray.

I believe he would have preferred the Premier League to the Turkish league.

Short-term contract with release clauses and a signing fee to keep wages sensible.

I think he would have been the box to box quality midfielder we needed. In total it would have cost us c. £10m. The feel-good factor, the statement of intent, the increased ticket and merchandise sales, the positivity around the players, and the much higher chance of staying up were easily worth that.

Massive opportunity missed, to me.

There was zero chance of him coming here. I don't know why neither of the Manchester clubs are going for him, probably because a deal would be financially ridiculous even for them so would be a no-go for us

It's not that simple though. If we signed Sissoko today we'd probably have to give him an extra 20k a week than if we signed him in 10 days' time. I'm starting to think we should have a 2 week winter break and the transfer window is only open then

But we won't sign players like Sissoko today or in 10 days time. 75k/week now or 55k/week on dealine day? It makes no difference as before we make a move someone like QPR will nip and pay him what he is after.

I get where you're coming from but it's more likely that we are not wanting to pay players like Dale Stephens and James Chester 5k - 10k/week more than Lambert thinks they are worth. It's a big gamble considering we have PL games before the deadline and with signings we could pull a bit further away from danger.

We need to do what it takes now.

If lambert had been backed properly in the summer then maybe we wouldn't be in a desperate situation now.

This is true. Also Randy sanctioned the Bent move because he knew we'd be **** if we didn't take action. I'm not sure his heart is in it this time around though.... We'll see.

redmond still is massive potential, still 19, burst on the scene similar to albrighton and then faded after 6 months and yet to rediscover the potential, id take him here, but at the £6million they are rumoured to want for him, they can keep him

Cheaper than what we paid for Ashley Young, I'd take him in a flash to be honest, the potential is definitely there and could well be realised with the coaches and youth set up that we have in place

There was zero chance of him coming here. I don't know why neither of the Manchester clubs are going for him, probably because a deal would be financially ridiculous even for them so would be a no-go for us

People keep saying he wouldn't come here. Why?

He joined Galatasaray for £8.3m and £120k / week wages. He didn't want to go there but was forced out of Inter and the wages helped soften the blow.

If we gave Inter the same £8.3m tx fee and gave Sneijder £60k / week wages with a £2m signing bonus, then when he has to choose between the Premier League or Turkey, why would he not choose us?

Give him a 2 year contract with a release clause to allay any relegation fears and he's sorted.

I fail to see your logic apart from a simple dismissive 'he wouldn't come here'.