Ashley Young

maqroll

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Right, but when they move somewhere else to be even more handsomely paid we accuse them of being greedy and disloyal.

I just feel like if we want players to care about the club and show "passion" we kind of have to from time to time treat someone like Young a little more fairly. It's not even the lack of contract, it's the way he's just clearly been binned a few days after saying he'd like to be here next season, and not having a proper send off from the fans.

That's the kind of ruthlessness that seems pointlessly, carelessly ruthless to me.

a big assumption here is that we've binned him off...maybe he was asking for too much money? maybe he knows he can get more minutes elsewhere?

he could go to somewhere like palace and start every game

• Like 1

Have to say I am a little surprised by this.

When he came in I was somewhat pessimistic but I think it is clear what he has brought over the last 2 years. With Europe next season, the squad will need to be bigger and it is clear we would be looking at another Right Back for competition/improvement over Cash. However I did think that Young with his versatility and experience would be good to have around the squad, even if he was not playing many games. 

However it seems pretty clear the club knows what they want/have in store for the future. Emery will have a clear mind as to what he needs or doesn't need. 

• Like 1

The Redux turned out to be so much more than I expected it to be. Credit to Ash, he appears to be the model pro. I guess you don’t get to be still going around at his age without being one…

As for the club, it’s a tough call but when you show ambition, tough and unsentimental decisions have to be made. Now it’s on the club shows us this ambition and prove this is the right call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Ok so who do you consider Villa legends that haven't won something at the club? Lets keep it easy so players after 1982.

There is only legend, some might say he is a myth. His name is Balaban.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

29 May - Ashley Young: I hope to stay for next season 

31 May - AVFC - thanks but you are sacked 

Doesn’t feel like there could have been much if a discussion.

Agreed. I had the feeling that he knew the decision had been made during the lap of honour, he seemed to be taking it all in, with the knowledge that it would probably be his last such moment at Villa Park, perhaps I thought that I could spot a tear in his eye...

image.jpeg.aae932933a663bb37ab45efffecdd67b.jpeg image.jpeg.8111d2dcd2c9ac1fde2a3c0bbb913878.jpeg 

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

a big assumption here is that we've binned him off...maybe he was asking for too much money? maybe he knows he can get more minutes elsewhere?

he could go to somewhere like palace and start every game

That's fair.

43 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I don’t know. I’m glad the sole focus on Sunday was beating brighton. He didn’t need a big goodbye just for the sake of it. Too much pampering of players. They can arrange a testimonial if he needs one. I think the end of the season is the professional time to deal with contracts. I’m still grateful to Young for the player he was for us.

Clubs and players will look after themselves when they need to. It’s always been that way. And most fans eventually accept players moving on if they haven’t been disingenuous in the process. 

Also fair.

Guess I'm just a bit disappointed this hasn't turned out a little more the way most of us thought... which would be another season of him being a squad leader and occasional backup to the younger players, before retiring with Villa qualifying for the Champions League.

We'll get over it as soon as a few big signings have been announced.

Anyway, thanks Ashley for what you did last season.

Surprising and a bit sad. 

This might be an indication for a much more aggressive squad rebuild. We generally assume they'll buy 3 or 4 good players and a back up keeper or something similar, sell the deadwood while keeping the majority of the first teamers. Unai might be much more thorough in shaping the squad though, similarly to how he came and wasn't satisfied with simply finishing mid-table, which realistically would have been a successful season. He relentlessly pushed for more and put pressure on everyone until the very last day of the season, so we achieved something that pretty much no one had expected when Gerrard was sacked. I wouldn't be surprised if he would want to re-shape the squad in a similar fashion instead of going the more conservative route and Ash is the first victim of this. 

Anyway, good luck to him. Hopefully he could return a 3rd time, in another role, someday.

• Like 1

I'm surprised and disappointed, mainly because he made clear that he wanted to come back. But I was disappointed about Ings, and except maybe when Ollie missed the penalty against Liverpool, we didn't miss him at all. Trust the club's judgment, I guess.

• Like 2

I do get the sentiments here, I do. He has exceeded all expectations this time around.

However, what I will say is this: thought he looked a bit ropey at the tail end of the season- notwithstanding his excellent from prior to this. Also, he is heading for 40.

And lastly,  I was absolutely gutted when he left us the first time around, for Man Utd, at a time when we were regular European contenders. So maybe I won't get too caught up in our lack of 'loyalty' on this occasion. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't believe that the club was still debating giving young a new contract following the last game and already knew what they were going to do. They could of announced it beforehand to give the fans and player a chance to have a proper send off.

The decision itself could have gone either way and am not concerned about young leaving, but I think it could have been handled better by the club. 

I think if our future had been known before the last game, i would be inclined to agree. As it stands the last game was only about treating like a final and getting over the line. No distractions and no time for nostalgia. 

If it becomes a testimonial for Young the pressure is on for him to replace Cash. Maybe you bring a sense of emotion to the day for Young distracting him from the challenge of the last day.

For me the club got it right, were not going to talk about anything else and they did that consistently. I think you say it could have been handled differently and that may have given Young a chance of a send off. As it happened he was quite rightly celebrated on the pitch.

• Like 1

Quite surprised by this as his versatility and experience, especially as one of very few players in squad to have played European football, would have again been useful. 

I don't suppose this decision will make complete sense until we see who we bring in and potentially where he ends up as it may simply be he got a better financial offer which we were not prepared to match.

• Like 1

Â