Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I don't...  Overrated Bob Bradley 2.0.  

Honestly think the main problem with USMNT is the whole system below it, not the coach, and no coach is going to be able to jet in and fix it until soccer is played more in the streets. The only pick-up games I ever really see are in Latin American neighborhoods, but maybe that's just where I live. That said, I do find Marsch a bit annoying and oppressive, but I think if he gets the right players, he can win matches. Big "if" tho.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Honestly think the main problem with USMNT is the whole system below it, not the coach, and no coach is going to be able to jet in and fix it until soccer is played more in the streets. The only pick-up games I ever really see are in Latin American neighborhoods, but maybe that's just where I live. That said, I do find Marsch a bit annoying and oppressive, but I think if he gets the right players, he can win matches. Big "if" tho.

I find plenty of pickup games in Columbus, but that has really only grown since the MLS popularity has grown. If you're in a place without an MLS team, I'd imagine it's difficult.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

I find plenty of pickup games in Columbus, but that has really only grown since the MLS popularity has grown. If you're in a place without an MLS team, I'd imagine it's difficult.

Excellent. I do hope that spreads.

The only time I ever see kids in the USA juggling and kicking balls around is when parents are from Mexico or Central America. Seems like there's still a gulf between suburban and urban soccer cultures here and pay-to-play still hurting the game. Sorry, getting off topic!

Unlike most of the clubs in the D.C. region, DCXI (DC Eleven) has a kind of pay-what-you-can model. They hold evening practices so that parents who work can bring their kids.

In some of the more affluent D.C. suburbs, it's a different story.

What's being done to stop adults' misbehavior at youth soccer games

DCXI's U15 team recently played a game in Chantilly, Va., against a team from Loudoun County.

"This is the mecca of pay-to-play," Kevin Salandy says after the game. His son played for the Virginia team. "There's a lot of money in Loudoun County. That's why they have all these teams and these facilities."

Families like Salandy's are spending small fortunes to let their kids play club or travel soccer.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Excellent. I do hope that spreads.

The only time I ever see kids in the USA juggling and kicking balls around is when parents are from Mexico or Central America. Seems like there's still a gulf between suburban and urban soccer cultures here and pay-to-play still hurting the game. Sorry, getting off topic!

Most of the MLS clubs in big cities now have academies that are essentially free - closer to the global model.

It will take some time (20-30 years to be honest) before you see the product of their development but there's already been an increase in outgoing talent from MLS to abroad because of the academy products. 

But outside of the MLS cities - still very much pay to play.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Absolutely madness to let the guy bring in the USA starting midfield then sack him a week later! It’s crazy they have spent all that money as well and in my opinion worse then they were last season because Phillips glued them together. Now he is cheering on Man City from the stands every week and Leeds look like one of the worst technical premier league sides you will ever see and running will only get you so far. I do also find it funny the idea that the way to avoid relegation this year might be to bring back the guy that was going to get them relegated last year, that seems like classic Leeds to me but I actually don’t think it will happen.

14 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Absolutely madness to let the guy bring in the USA starting midfield then sack him a week later! It’s crazy they have spent all that money as well and in my opinion worse then they were last season because Phillips glued them together. Now he is cheering on Man City from the stands every week and Leeds look like one of the worst technical premier league sides you will ever see and running will only get you so far. I do also find it funny the idea that the way to avoid relegation this year might be to bring back the guy that was going to get them relegated last year, that seems like classic Leeds to me but I actually don’t think it will happen.

We're proper shit, but this is miles off the mark as to why

Premier League teams are so well organised these days it's difficult to score unless you create an overload or win the ball back while the opposition are out of position. Bielsa created overloads but Marsch doesn't really do either. Saw the Nottingham-Leeds game yesterday and Leeds were pressing high, sort of, but not really converting that into chances. They were just winning it back and keeping possession. Maybe a new approach is needed.

• Like 1

Just now, I Make Pies said:

Premier League teams are so well organised these days it's difficult to score unless you create an overload or win the ball back while the opposition are out of position. Bielsa created overloads but Marsch doesn't really do either. Saw the Nottingham-Leeds game yesterday and Leeds were pressing high, sort of, but not really converting that into chances. They were just winning it back and keeping possession. Maybe a new approach is needed.

Marsch just doesn't have the experience to move onto anything besides a lackluster Plan A. It was enough to save them last season and catch a few teams off guard to start the season, but it became very obvious what they were trying to do each game and similar to other inexperienced managers, had no tactical nuance to alter the strategy game by game and then the killer - no idea what to do in game in response.

Like many an inexperienced and stubborn English managers (Deano, Gerrard, Lampard) - it's not enough to have your 'style' and then just say, "Fight and run the channels! Win your duels!"

Only a shame that he didn't reach the last phase of dogmatic managers who eventually become Steve Bruce - play super defensive and just try to win some set pieces and get lucky.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Marsch just doesn't have the experience to move onto anything besides a lackluster Plan A. It was enough to save them last season and catch a few teams off guard to start the season, but it became very obvious what they were trying to do each game and similar to other inexperienced managers, had no tactical nuance to alter the strategy game by game and then the killer - no idea what to do in game in response.

Like many an inexperienced and stubborn English managers (Deano, Gerrard, Lampard) - it's not enough to have your 'style' and then just say, "Fight and run the channels! Win your duels!"

Only a shame that he didn't reach the last phase of dogmatic managers who eventually become Steve Bruce - play super defensive and just try to win some set pieces and get lucky.

Not sure I'd have included Deano in that, yes he's probably got a ceiling but he paid his dues. He earned his job at Villa. The other pair of chancers haven't earned anything.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Not sure I'd have included Deano in that, yes he's probably got a ceiling but he paid his dues. He earned his job at Villa. The other pair of chancers haven't earned anything.

100% this...  The man worked his way up from League 1 to the Premier League and did a solid job at every club he's managed and he is anything but inexperienced.  Norwich was a terrible move for him, but he's played good football everywhere he's managed.  Putting him in the same category as Lampard and Gerrard is disgraceful.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If not Bielsa, I would have thought Corberán with a decent shout of getting the job I reckon. 

Outside shout - Carrick?  Would they take the risk though? 

They wont be hiring an ex Man Utd player

Â