Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

On 14/01/2023 at 11:13, Rino8 said:

Bit shite.

Lots of energy, decent vision but he's getting knocked over by other teams auras at this point. Not a goal threat and struggles to impose himself at all.

Hopefully when Sinisterra returns him and Gnonto will be a pretty scary couple of wingers. The latter has to be the most promising player we've had in about twenty years. Just turned 19 and he's putting every defender in the league on his arse

I like Leeds except when they play Villa. I hope the club sticks with Jesse. I know his personality irks some supporters, but that squad is incredibly exciting and I do think it’s all going to come together under Marsh’s regime.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I like Leeds except when they play Villa. I hope the club sticks with Jesse. I know his personality irks some supporters, but that squad is incredibly exciting and I do think it’s all going to come together under Marsh’s regime.

I really like Marsch and he's got Leeds playing relatively well on the whole (certainly the better side against us).

The Ted Lasso thing is ridiculous (still).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I really like Marsch and he's got Leeds playing relatively well on the whole (certainly the better side against us).

Interesting. I've never seen the show, but Marsch reminds me more of  Very Serious Sports People involved in the Ivy League in the USA who also have a fairly global view of the football universe. I don't know what Ted Lasso is like, but he seems kind of overly earnest and self-deprecating (maybe an Anglophile?), etc. one of a few different American stereotypes British people seem to enjoy. Marsch is intense and a bit humourless and brilliant and definitely has an ego, but it gets all channeled, sometimes excruciatingly, into The Team. I want him to succeed because I genuinely think it would benefit soccer in America.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Interesting. I've never seen the show, but Marsch reminds me more of  Very Serious Sports People involved in the Ivy League in the USA who also have a fairly global view of the football universe. I don't know what Ted Lasso is like, but he seems kind of overly earnest and self-deprecating (maybe an Anglophile?), etc. one of a few different American stereotypes British people seem to enjoy. Marsch is intense and a bit humourless and brilliant and definitely has an ego, but it gets all channeled, sometimes excruciatingly, into The Team. I want him to succeed because I genuinely think it would benefit soccer in America.  

Ted Lasso is basically an American coach who has no knowledge of football (soccer) and is brought in to a club where his sole skills are man management and really overt optimism. (He's actually brought in to fail, blah blah).

Of course, Marsch has over 300 games of management under his belt but he's American and so, therefore, Ted Lasso.

It seems like those defending Marsch bring up 'Ted Lasso' more so than those that criticize him.

He hasn't done a great job as Leeds manager, their form this season has been some of the worst in the league, that's nothing to do with 'Ted Lasso' or him being American.

Some of the things he says in interviews can come across as being more for show rather than having any sincere depth to them, that too has nothing to do with Ted Lasso.

Marsch is not the only manager who says and does things for show, I don't criticize him for that, and I hardly think soundbites and little actions define him as a person.

Sometimes it seems people only defend him because they don't want to be counted amongst those that might speak cruel things of him.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager per se, just he hasn't done great up until now.

I've looked on Leeds forums and they seem to like him as a person, so for the most part I don't think they're cruel or doubt his good character, they're just worried abou their form.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

It seems like those defending Marsch bring up 'Ted Lasso' more so than those that criticize him.

He hasn't done a great job as Leeds manager, their form this season has been some of the worst in the league, that's nothing to do with 'Ted Lasso' or him being American.

Some of the things he says in interviews can come across as being more for show rather than having any sincere depth to them, that too has nothing to do with Ted Lasso.

Marsch is not the only manager who says and does things for show, I don't criticize him for that, and I hardly think soundbites and little actions define him as a person.

Sometimes it seems people only defend him because they don't want to be counted amongst those that might speak cruel things of him.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager per se, just he hasn't done great up until now.

I've looked on Leeds forums and they seem to like him as a person, so for the most part I don't think they're cruel or doubt his good character, they're just worried abou their form.

I'm not defending Marsch (other than saying I quite like him as a person) - and I certainly don't bring up the Ted Lasso reference.  It's always people criticising him like, I don't know, this from the last page:

On 14/01/2023 at 14:33, mikeyp102 said:

Very Ted Lasso isn’t it 

It's like an auto reaction because the guy is American.

Well next five Leeds games are Brentford (h), Forest (a), Man Utd (h), Evertson (a), Southampton (h)

A chance for them to pick up some points

A lot of the current relegated threatend teams have games coming up against each other, so next month or so could go towards them making great strides towards safety, or if things go wrong putting them in more danger.

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

Interestingly I think the complete opposite. He's an absolute awful manager, and despite us having an off day, and nerves after Stevenage,  our elite manager made us win the game at VP.

We nicked a goal early on, and from 20-45 minutes we fell into the Leeds trap of chaos football (when they should have scored), all instigated by an energetic midfield and Marsh jumping up and down like college cheerleader. We fell into the chaos trap with midfield scraps and quick tempo which is when they look to break away and score. They only know and are coached into 1 way of football.

Emery realised this and shut it down second half and we were fairly comfortable until Bamford nicked a goal after the foul on Young, and even after that they didn't look like scoring. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Interestingly I think the complete opposite. He's an absolute awful manager, and despite us having an off day, and nerves after Stevenage,  our elite manager made us win the game at VP.

We nicked a goal early on, and from 20-45 minutes we fell into the Leeds trap of chaos football (when they should have scored), all instigated by an energetic midfield and Marsh jumping up and down like college cheerleader. We fell into the chaos trap with midfield scraps and quick tempo which is when they look to break away and score. They only know and are coached into 1 way of football.

Emery realised this and shut it down second half and we were fairly comfortable until Bamford nicked a goal after the foul on Young, and even after that they didn't look like scoring. 

That's incredibly harsh on Leeds tbh - "chaos football".  They should have had a penalty, had one cleared off the line, had a goal disallowed for offside - we'd had one shot all first half, just scored it.  Leeds were the opposite.  Even our goal came from their early attacking play.  

Second half we were better but more to the point that the game became more even.  At zero point in the match did I, personally, feel comfortable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's incredibly harsh on Leeds tbh - "chaos football".  They should have had a penalty, had one cleared off the line, had a goal disallowed for offside - we'd had one shot all first half, just scored it.  Leeds were the opposite.  Even our goal came from their early attacking play.  

Second half we were better but more to the point that the game became more even.  At zero point in the match did I, personally, feel comfortable.

I agree with the first half, they should have scored, but didn't. Most of their chances was them pressing extremely aggressively in the midfield then pouring forward in the breakdown, catching our wide midfielders up the pitch and unable to make up ground. That's why we had 57% possession but they had the most chances.

The second half Emery completely shut it down with the likes of Kamara, Kamara and not even bothering to engage higher up the field and keeping the fullbacks deeper. There was no space for them to pour forward into therefore the came just petered out, which is what we wanted. Marsh couldn't adjust as they only know one way of playing. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Leeds have spent big this window if they gi down they could be in trouble

They invested so much in bielsa ball and it’s not a sustainable way of playing, evidenced by his lack of plan B and flexibility. Even his disciples Pochettino and Pep took his methods and added to them. They’ve now got a glorified PE teacher in charge who’s full of wonderful sound bites but little substance. So when you look at it really - 3 years out of 17 since they dropped that they struck gold with a 68 year old manager who’s methods are not really teachable anymore. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they dropped. Gnonto to Villa!!

I swear I heard a clip of marsch in his pre match talking about date night.

Something about you should plan a date night and bring your partner to the game as a pre amble to "date night".

This guy is certifiable.

He is so American it's comical.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Marsch is an interesting study. Accomplished enough that he was offered a job in the Premier League to salvage Leeds season. He did it, just barely.

He's recruited fairly well, his players seem to be willing to die for him, they've actually played ok, but results haven't gone their way.

I think he deserves more time. There are far worse teams besides Leeds, so I'd be surprised if they keep dropping points. That said, they should have a few managers on speed dial just in case.

As for the personality stuff, ultimately it's all white noise. I think people enjoy making fun of the Americanisms and have been waiting for him to fail so they can feel smug. For this reason, I want him to succeed. 

I'm from the East coast, so his earnestness and Boy Scout type bearing seems weird and foreign to me too in a way. But his players love him, so his personality seems to work. I find his sideline demeanor really off-putting, but he's less annoying in interviews. 

Not my cup of tea personally, but looking at the other Prem managers, few of them are either!

He is strange that he is quite honest in  his belief and his players like him and are definitely playing for him unlike some Premier League managers this season.

he will always have haters as his American positive attitude will always come across to some as fake or irritating especially in a sport where Americans are still not really taken serious by media and fanbase. If only he was a big name ex player that just folded his arms on the bench 😛

Â