Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Another 4 minutes and it'd have taken a huge jump when they went 5-1 up. Over 2k profit is a hell of a result. It'd keep you up at night though wouldn't it? 

nah not me. I’d be less upset about missing out on the extra then for not cashing out a huge lump of cash on what was still a fairly unlikely result.

It’s human nature though I guess, we’re programmed to be glass half empty.

This thread is mental. Promoted team from a big city goes up, plays good (watchable) football,  spends some cash, gets some good results, gets some beatings, gets hyped, gets slagged off...

Nothing like that has happened since, ooh, I dunno, last season and us.

The only difference is maybe the renown of their Manager. He no more courts the media spotlight than does Deano.  But he is innovative and “different” .

The media fest is OTT, but Leeds are just Leeds. They’re doing alright for a newly promoted side.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, blandy said:

This thread is mental. Promoted team from a big city goes up, plays good (watchable) football,  spends some cash, gets some good results, gets some beatings, gets hyped, gets slagged off...

Nothing like that has happened since, ooh, I dunno, last season and us.

The only difference is maybe the renown of their Manager. He no more courts the media spotlight than does Deano.  But he is innovative and “different” .

The media fest is OTT, but Leeds are just Leeds. They’re doing alright for a newly promoted side.

They are basically the Norwich of this season

Difference is they actually spent some money. I think they will beat the teams around them and stay up that way

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its kamikaze football. They wont go down but they will get some hammerings this season. 

I think they'll find the second half of the season a lot lot harder, they probably won't go down but they'll not be that far away from it.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Another 4 minutes and it'd have taken a huge jump when they went 5-1 up. Over 2k profit is a hell of a result. It'd keep you up at night though wouldn't it? 

I don’t think I believe it. Who would cash out at 4-1 when another goal for either side still would have kept the bet alive and the game was clearly full of goals.

• Like 1

MOTD talking about Leeds getting caught out again and again at the back and not learning and that another manager would change it but "not Bielsa" 

How can you be some kind of genius manager if you let your defence get caught out time after time and not adjust your tactics to a game you are getting whopped in? How is that good management? 

• Like 4

The commentators on Sky were still waxing lyrical about how good Leeds were and how effective the way they play was at 5-1 down and 6-2 down.

It's madness.

They're doing ok for a promoted team. You'd think they were top of the league the way people go on about them

He gets praise because he's basically playing a different game to everyone else.

He's got a pretty crap team up to the top table. On paper this Leeds side is nothing special. It has a couple of decent players and the rest is middling Championship fodder. He's done this by instilling a game plan of out running and out working the opposition and constantly attacking with very fluid tactics. And it's worked.

The problem is a couple of things. When it goes wrong, it'll go really wrong. Today Manchester United were on it and they ripped them apart. It'll happen again. And the other thing is what we've seen again and again from Bielsa sides - burnout. They just about managed to avoid it last season but it'll be interesting to see what happens this time, when they're having to push even harder, and getting beaten more often than not.

But, again, Bielsa isn't really judged by the same criteria as everyone else. To an extent Farke last season got it as well, because he also had a crap side that played nice football. But Bielsa has it on turbo because he has a side that's really pretty shit playing super attacking high energy football, together with it being Leeds who were always going to be a story of the season, regardless of what happened, because of their recent history.

It's like watching a virtuoso guitarist. It's impressive and the praise comes because it's impressive, but ultimately it's crap to listen to. Bielsa having a crap Leeds team playing on a manner that can get goals against any team in the league is impressive, but ultimately it doesn't achieve much.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wilder last season was playing a unique system and did better than Leeds are now and was nowhere near the praise

And he took over in League One!

Wilder has done a far more impressive job and he kept them up, something Bielsa hasn’t achieved yet. Sooner or later Leeds will run out of steam and confidence in their approach and/or other managers will find a way to play against them.

I think they’ll be in the relegation battle by the end of the season.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

He gets praise because he's basically playing a different game to everyone else.

He's got a pretty crap team up to the top table. On paper this Leeds side is nothing special. It has a couple of decent players and the rest is middling Championship fodder. He's done this by instilling a game plan of out running and out working the opposition and constantly attacking with very fluid tactics. And it's worked.

The problem is a couple of things. When it goes wrong, it'll go really wrong. Today Manchester United were on it and they ripped them apart. It'll happen again. And the other thing is what we've seen again and again from Bielsa sides - burnout. They just about managed to avoid it last season but it'll be interesting to see what happens this time, when they're having to push even harder, and getting beaten more often than not.

But, again, Bielsa isn't really judged by the same criteria as everyone else. To an extent Farke last season got it as well, because he also had a crap side that played nice football. But Bielsa has it on turbo because he has a side that's really pretty shit playing super attacking high energy football, together with it being Leeds who were always going to be a story of the season, regardless of what happened, because of their recent history.

It's like watching a virtuoso guitarist. It's impressive and the praise comes because it's impressive, but ultimately it's crap to listen to. Bielsa having a crap Leeds team playing on a manner that can get goals against any team in the league is impressive, but ultimately it doesn't achieve much.

They had two attacking players they spent nearly £60 million on and value their DM at over £30 million. 

I think way too much is made about the Leeds team being full of championship level players. 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

And he took over in League One!

Wilder has done a far more impressive job and he kept them up, something Bielsa hasn’t achieved yet. Sooner or later Leeds will run out of steam and confidence in their approach and/or other managers will find a way to play against them.

I think they’ll be in the relegation battle by the end of the season.

Yep. They will probably stay up but they'll be near the relegation zone. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. They will probably stay up but they'll be near the relegation zone. 

I think so, so little real quality in the squad. If they got injuries to three key players including Bamford like we did last season they would gone. They’ll be blowing by March.

• Like 1

Guess it's from me living in Sweden and don't having to live through what I understand is the media gushing over Leeds (doesn't happen over here) but I find them really fun. I also have a couple Leeds friends so it's good banter.

They are performing exactly as predicted both on the pitch and when it comes to results. Because of course they do, it's a Bielsa team. I for one enjoy having them in the PL a lot more than I do watching Burnley, Sheff U, Newcastle, (West Brom) and their turgid anti-football. 

Watching a Leeds game is a bit like watching Atalanta play, you know it's going to be entertaining. 

Leeds squad isn't very good overall, for the most part it's still the same players that they had when they were finishing midtable in the champion🚢 before Bielsa was appointed, not many of them as individuals would get in other premier league sides, in fact if you put them in the championship now and took away Bielsa, I wouldn't even have their current squad as one of the favorites for promotion from that division.

All that's to say that if you ignore the media hype, then relative to the ability of their squad they're having a good season overall.

They're actually only two points better off than we were after fourteen games last season, which I think goes to show that up until losing Wesley, Heaton and McGinn we weren't doing too bad.

Â