Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

All things considered Leeds are doing quite well but their squad is miles better than Sheffield United's was/is. They've got 5 or 6 real quality players at least. Raphinha, Rodrigo, Phillips would all get minutes at most if not all PL clubs. Even without those players their squad would still be comfortably better than SHU last season.

• Like 1

I think they are good to watch. The scores in their games could be literally anything.

The media love this.

I'm not sure their fans will the longer it carries on.

I mean... watching them play their biggest rivals attacking at 4-0 down made me shudder. They were  leaving massive gaps at back, it could have been really messy and reminded me of how we played against Chelsea in the 8-0 game..

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

Think Christmas period might be a huge indication how they will end up. 3 games in a week and while he did it in the Championship this will be a lot tougher

I personally think he will leave at the end of the season, end of a cycle as I dont think the board will back him to move them further up the table 

Even if you allow for the idea that Phillips, Raphinha and Rodrigo are good players, that's still only three of them, and I'm not sure I'd agree they'd get in most other teams.

Even Leeds fans themselves admit that their squad isn't very good, It's full of the likes of Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Alioski, Klich, Harrison, Shakleton all of whom are getting regular game time for them in their starting eleven, none of those are clearly better than the equivalents in the Sheffield United team.

Their strenght resides in the system they play and how they work as a team not the individual players, without that system whatever it is that Bielsa does with them they wouldn't have been anywhere near promotion these past two seasons.

• Like 1

Championship players is struggling to make the step up week in week out shocker.

Team has a few issues but its par for the course when you get promoted, had we not conceded 2 early goals we'd have lost by a more 'normal' scoreline, game plays out differently and people would be having a completely different conversation.

People saying Bielsa's job will be at risk end of the season are kidding themselves though, no chance of that and why would it be? The goal is stay in the league which we'll do. If 2 years from now we've spent another 100 million and we're 16th then it might be a conversation but before that happens you're all mad.

Next year it'll be interesting to see where we look to strengthen, Cooper, Ayling and Klich are all performing at 100%. They're all around 30 and are proving to be just about good enough if not unremarkable at this level while Harrison should probably be signed for depth instead of as an out and out starter. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

People saying Bielsa's job will be at risk end of the season are kidding themselves though, no chance of that and why would it be? The goal is stay in the league which we'll do. If 2 years from now we've spent another 100 million and we're 16th then it might be a conversation but before that happens you're all.

Think people are suggesting he will walk, not that he would be fired.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sne said:

Guess it's from me living in Sweden and don't having to live through what I understand is the media gushing over Leeds (doesn't happen over here) but I find them really fun. I also have a couple Leeds friends so it's good banter.

They are performing exactly as predicted both on the pitch and when it comes to results. Because of course they do, it's a Bielsa team. I for one enjoy having them in the PL a lot more than I do watching Burnley, Sheff U, Newcastle, (West Brom) and their turgid anti-football. 

Watching a Leeds game is a bit like watching Atalanta play, you know it's going to be entertaining. 

I really enjoy watching them too and do so every chance I get.

What gets irritating is 90 minutes of Gary Neville effusively praising them while not commentating on the game. He even had the cheek to claim they are the first promoted team ever to adopt an attacking approach!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Even if you allow for the idea that Phillips, Raphinha and Rodrigo are good players, that's still only three of them, and I'm not sure I'd agree they'd get in most other teams.

Even Leeds fans themselves admit that their squad isn't very good, It's full of the likes of Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Alioski, Klich, Harrison, Shakleton all of whom are getting regular game time for them in their starting eleven, none of those are clearly better than the equivalents in the Sheffield United team.

Their strenght resides in the system they play and how they work as a team not the individual players, without that system whatever it is that Bielsa does with them they wouldn't have been anywhere near promotion these past two seasons.

Harrison is leagues ahead of any attacking player in the Sheffield Utd team. You've also forgotten Bamford. And their 2 pricy CBs. That makes 7 if you include the 3 you mentioned.

They do have a lot of championship lvl players, but I really don't think 7 quality players is bad for most newly promoted teams. Imo that's better than any other promoted team since Wolves.

Edit - forgot Meslier who is also a very talented young keeper.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

14 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I really enjoy watching them too and do so every chance I get.

What gets irritating is 90 minutes of Gary Neville effusively praising them while not commentating on the game. He even had the cheek to claim they are the first promoted team ever to adopt an attacking approach!

That's the problem

Leeds are a decent team, Bielsa is a great manager, they're doing well with a limited squad that they'll need to build on in the next few years, they'll stay up comfortably but in about 14th to 12th, it's good to have them back and will be better when they have their fans with them 

And that is absolutely nothing that hasn't been done many many times before... Yet the media are gushing over them at every opportunity, there is so much guff over them that they're unbearable, in the last 2 years 2 promoted teams have done better than them FFS so it's not like we're dragging up what Blackpool did 10 years ago

They also have a fanbase that is very vocal, very hypocritical too, they're in the same dreamworld as wolves fans, give it 2 or 3 seasons and then see where their gatecrashing is 

• Like 1

Harrison has potential but he isn't that good, Sheffield United don't really play with wingers so there isn't really a direct comparison with him and any Sheffield United players, Brewster can play as a wide forward and I'd take him ahead of Harrison.

Also just because Leeds CBs are pricey that doesn't automatically mean they get into other teams sides, Sheffield United have actually conceded less goals than Leeds this season, and if Jack O'Connell had have been fit they probably would be doing even better defensively.

Besides my point wasn't that Leeds have a worse squad than Sheff Utd or that they have worst in the league, but it's definitely one of the weakest in terms of individual talent.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Harrison has potential but he isn't that good, Sheffield United don't really play with wingers so there isn't really a direct comparison with him and any Sheffield United players, Brewster can play as a wide forward and I'd take him ahead of Harrison.

I think you might be the only person who'd pick Brewster. It is you that said none of them "are clearly better than the equivalents in the Sheffield United team", so you must feel it's possible to compare them!

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Also just because Leeds CBs are pricey that doesn't automatically mean they get into other teams sides, Sheffield United have actually conceded less goals than Leeds this season, and if Jack O'Connell had have been fit they probably would be doing even better defensively.

Besides my point wasn't that Leeds have a worse squad than Sheff Utd or that they have worst in the league, but it's definitely one of the weakest in terms of individual talent.

I know your point wasn't they are the worst in the league, I just think it's a complete myth that their squad is so much worse than any other promoted team in history.

You obviously think they have less individual talent than the Sheffield United team. I just happen to disagree and think SU last season were the ultimate system over players team so to me it's an odd comparison to make.

• Like 1

I never said that they had less individual talent than Sheffield United, I named 'Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Alioski, Klich, Harrison, Shakleton' and said that 'none of them are clearly better than the equivalents in the Sheffield United team', in response to the idea that the Leeds squad is much better than the Sheffield United squad is this season or was last season.

Also I wasn't the one that made the original comparison to Sheffield United, all I said was that their squad isn't very good overall which it isn't regardless of whether it's better than Sheffield United's or not.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think he's very over-rated on this forum.

I think he's 22 and still adapting to the league, currently in a team that is in shambles and lacking confidence. In another team he'd be an asset IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think he's very over-rated on this forum.

He is a decent player.

There is an old saying and imo it still holds truth to it. especially for central midfielders

A good big 'un will beat a good little 'un

Edited by villalad21

I think most would take Berge ahead of Klich, and last season both Norwood and Fleck were performing better than Klich is now. He's probably someone that Leeds will look to replace, midfield as an whole is an area they need to improve in the coming transfer windows.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I think he's 22 and still adapting to the league, currently in a team that is in shambles and lacking confidence. In another team he'd be an asset IMO.

Sure, maybe. I think Klich is a far better player, at this moment in time 🤷‍♂️

Maybe in a year or two Berge will be as good as people claim he is.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

There is an old saying and imo it still holds truth to it. especially for central midfielders

A good big 'un will beat a good little 'un

This is why he is rated, obviously. There are lots of posters on this forum who would rather have a basketball player to play in central midfield.

• Like 1

Â