Media and punditry

BOF

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Lawro and Crooks both left BBC

About 20 years overdue 

Both outdated and irrelevant for many many years.

Sadly that’ll mean Jermaine Jenas and Micah Richards will get more exposure

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It will be a sad day for English football without Lawro weekly predictions and Garth Crooks team of the week 

Lawro had Liverpool on an incredible 159 game unbeaten run and I remember Garth Crooks putting Cuellar into his team of the week as a 92nd minute sub. I think we actually conceded in the 93rd minute 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It was in the MON days and we had a good defence so needed to pick a defender😂

The lad’s come on in injury time and got the winning goal (for the opposition), he’s in my team of the week.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually think as a pundit, Lawro wasn't all that bad.

it's as a co-commentator where he was truly truly awful

He 'wasn't all that bad' in the 1990s. Ever since then he's been souring into a curdled puddle of acidic liquid. No one should be paid as much as he is to be as miserable as he is about football.

(See also Souness and frankly Roy Keane too on days when I'm getting tired of the act)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He 'wasn't all that bad' in the 1990s. Ever since then he's been souring into a curdled puddle of acidic liquid. No one should be paid as much as he is to be as miserable as he is about football.

(See also Souness and frankly Roy Keane too on days when I'm getting tired of the act)

But that’s my point. As a pundit I didn’t think he was particularly miserable. 

But as a commentator. **** me. It was like his wife had been murdered by a gang of footballers. 

Unfortunately Danny Murphy has Picked up the  baton on that front 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But that’s my point. As a pundit I didn’t think he was particularly miserable. 

But as a commentator. **** me. It was like his wife had been murdered by a gang of footballers. 

Unfortunately Danny Murphy has Picked up the  baton on that front 

What I'm saying is I thought he was miserable as both, ever since the 1990s. 

Agree with you about Danny Murphy though, I should have thought of him straight away. 

• Like 2

About as positive a piece you could have about Lawro’s time as a pundit (he’s not great, but the current lot warrant a fair amount of criticism too).

You didn’t need to listen to what Lawrenson was saying. He wasn’t really saying much anyway. Were it not for the occasional twitch and quiver of his moustache you would occasionally forget he was talking at all. He didn’t fume or rant or “destroy” anybody. Indeed in 25 years of watching and listening to Lawrenson I am unable to recall a single distinct opinion he ever expressed, beyond an occasional distaste for diving and the occasional belief – strongly worded and sincerely held – that the striker’s got time to take an extra touch there.

And so the retirement of Lawrenson is really more than a footnote in the broadcasting landscape. It marks the passing of an entire style of punditry, a whole era of men (and of course it was always men) talking about football on television, one in which the sport itself still felt like light rather than heavy entertainment. If Lawrenson was already beginning to feel like an anachronism long before he hung up his microphone for the last time, then it was because the tonal shift in football broadcasting over the last decade was in large part a reaction to pundits such as him.

So these days we have the needly, bristling Chris Sutton, the man of a thousand takes, a pundit who appears to have been sent into a broadcasting studio with the express objective of trying to get himself punched for insurance reasons. We have Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, for whom punditry is less a sofa and more of a soapbox, an arena for competitive emoting and strong opinions fully enunciated.

Neville is saddened by the thing we’ve just seen. Carragher is more than saddened; he’s shocked and outraged. Neville sees Carragher’s shocked and outraged, and raises him a flabbergasted. Graeme Souness repeats what they’ve just said, but in a Scottish accent, and while furiously chopping an imaginary carrot. Micah Richards laughs uncontrollably. The entire exchange will later harvest more than a million views on YouTube.

Link to Guardian article

There’s more in the link, worth a quick read.

For my own part, like most I’ve had my complaints about Lawro. But him fading into the background over the years has dulled any real dislike I had. Just kinda too irrelevant to be too vexed about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/264684693164/posts/pfbid02J72eNABB12xTfvkyfFuxe13U32UXuLyhD9vUsMLF2souknDk8tfEZjYs3kn82NSLl/?sfnsn=scwspmo

The comments on this post...jesus christ. I'm curious to know if anyone on here shares these views? Genuinely would like to have an honest debate about it. Some guys really take exception to women being pundits. 

Don't get me wrong there's better out there but there's also much, much worse 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

https://www.facebook.com/264684693164/posts/pfbid02J72eNABB12xTfvkyfFuxe13U32UXuLyhD9vUsMLF2souknDk8tfEZjYs3kn82NSLl/?sfnsn=scwspmo

The comments on this post...jesus christ. I'm curious to know if anyone on here shares these views? Genuinely would like to have an honest debate about it. Some guys really take exception to women being pundits. 

I don’t know mate. Personally I can’t get enough of pundits like Ashley Cole and top class insights like England facing a “Hungary side who were hungry” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She's has problem that might be more of an English thing 

Being brutally honest I dont like the sound of her, that will be misinterpreted as sexist but no, I dont have a problem with her content it's no worse than the others, I literally don't like the sound of her voice, it's horrible, don't like her accent 

20 hours ago, tomav84 said:

They’ll mostly be dead in 20 years and will never open their mind so best just roll your eyes and sit it out.

Â