Media and punditry

BOF

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The last time I remember "Lawro" predicting consistent flurries of Villa wins was all the way back when his pal O'Neill was in charge.

To be fair we haven’t really had many Premier League wins since then let alone “consistent flurries” of them.

Edited by tom_avfc

32 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Peter Drury. For a guy with a big vocabulary, all he can muster whenever there's a goal chance is to yell the name of the player. Mason Mounnnnt! Harry Kaaaane! etc. Annoying.

At least we no longer get Roooooooonnnneeeeeeeey 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee Dixon was summarising the West Ham game on 5 Live earlier. I didn't listen to much of the match, so maybe he was fine during that, but in the chat beforehand he had at least 4 of the most boring, we're-all-good-mates-in-the-football-industry takes going. Did you know:

1 - that you shouldn't criticise Liverpool for going into a season with only 3 centre backs, because the people running football clubs know more about it than we do?

2 - that people should stop criticising Klopp because they're a fabulous team?

3 - that it's 'absolute nonsense' to suggest that Thiago slows down Liverpool's midfield?

4 - that Lampard was doing an 'excellent job' when he was fired?

That special genre of analysis where everyone is doing fine and you mustn't criticise anything, because everyone involved is excellent.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Lee Dixon was summarising the West Ham game on 5 Live earlier. I didn't listen to much of the match, so maybe he was fine during that, but in the chat beforehand he had at least 4 of the most boring, we're-all-good-mates-in-the-football-industry takes going. Did you know:

1 - that you shouldn't criticise Liverpool for going into a season with only 3 centre backs, because the people running football clubs know more about it than we do?

3 - that it's 'absolute nonsense' to suggest that Thiago slows down Liverpool's midfield?

That special genre of analysis where everyone is doing fine and you mustn't criticise anything, because everyone involved is excellent.

If Lampard was doing an excellent job then every other Chelsea manager under Abramovich must have been doing a super duper job because he had comfortably the worst win % of the lot. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd be interested in proper analysis in to that because I've already seen him labelled as "shit mate" and "can't handle the PL" or at best criticism that all he does is pass the ball

He's a rolls royce of a player, I would sit and watch an in depth analysis of what Liverpool have him doing and if/why he's not working 

The idea that the likes of Henderson are better than him because they move the ball quicker would be English football in a nutshell

But I know there's 1 maybe 2 who are capable of doing it on TV and that they're not going to

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

He has disrupted the style of play but thats not on Thiago its on the rest of the players to adapt. He didn't play so much for Bayern last season and has been questions on his mobility

I know people like to throw out lazy comparisons but this is similar to Veron at United

Edited by Zatman

You could balance the argument that he moves the ball too slow with TAA giving it away so many times because he's trying to move it too fast 

But that argument or analysis will never come, instead the media will try and put both players in the gutter

I don't watch pre match any more since we left rosenior in the efl but I would guess that it's still lowest domominator stuff, it's aimed at the 42 year old who lives at his mom's and puts his Liverpool tracksuit on for match day, he can't understand a coachs tactical explanation of what thiago does to liverpool, he wants stats that he can understand and hyperbole about Gerrard to tickle his bollocks - and that's just during the build up to the Chelsea vs Newcastle game ;)

Edited by villa4europe

On 15/02/2021 at 17:49, HanoiVillan said:

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2021 at 13:32, Keyblade said:

I swear if I hear that pound land Trevor Francis, Tony Gale commentating again...

I'll take him before Efan Ekoku, who has a fine tuned talent for sucking the life right out of a game.

Anyone seen Mersons verdict of our teams chances of getting into the top 4, okay fair enough we won’t but then goes on to say without Jack Grealish we would be relegation candidates!? Then compares Liverpool losing Van Dijk as a similar thing but at different levels. The same Liverpool team we smashed 7-2 with Van Dijk in the team!

Even without Grealish in the team I do not think we would be as lowly as Newcastle and the such.

Â