Media and punditry

BOF

What about ESPN FC.

I used to watch that until I worked out that it was only about the top 5 clubs in the Premier League and the Champions league.

I watched it after we beat Liverpool 7-2 and was thoroughly dissapointed again.That ex Liverpool player on their panel started frothing at the mouth and spitting all over the place and kept going on about that it was because Liverpool played a high line. No one mentioned that Liverpool were the runaway champions last season and that they were unbeaten so far this season, till we played them.So,after being crowned champions and starting this season unbeaten,Klopp must have changed their tactics just for us.....

I see,I must make a note of that. rocket polishers.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Benrahma coming on in the Liverpool game, and then Peter Drury, probably the biggest commentator in the PL says something along the lines of "here comes Said Benrahma #9, one of the most coveted strikers from the Championship, David Moyes will only have one instruction for him. Score.". Benrahma is a left winger/attacking midfielder. 2 minutes later Jim Beglin observes: "Looks like Benrahma is playing from the left". No shit.

Cutting edge commentary! I'm convinced the pundits/commentators don't watch half the teams in the Premier League, let alone the lower leagues. 

It should be a basic requirement if you are in that industry. Know you subject. 

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Micah Richards really does help to make watching punditry fun and enjoyable. So much better than that miserable energy vampire Danny Murphy.

And Alex Scott is joining in with the fun and games too. Great to see.

2nd year back in the PL now. 

From what I can see of the MOTD opening credits the only Villa rated shot is a brief glimpse of John McGinn. Am I missing anything? 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

2nd year back in the PL now. 

From what I can see of the MOTD opening credits the only Villa rated shot is a brief glimpse of John McGinn. Am I missing anything? 

I noticed it too but in the greater scheme of things does it really matter? 
we all know we’re not darlings of the media or a fashionable club despite a fine history. 

On 01/11/2020 at 12:05, Keyblade said:

Benrahma coming on in the Liverpool game, and then Peter Drury, probably the biggest commentator in the PL says something along the lines of "here comes Said Benrahma #9, one of the most coveted strikers from the Championship, David Moyes will only have one instruction for him. Score.". Benrahma is a left winger/attacking midfielder. 2 minutes later Jim Beglin observes: "Looks like Benrahma is playing from the left". No shit.

I'm probably in the minority here but Peter Drury drives me insane. He seems to be the #1 guy as on the overseas coverage at least, he gets the biggest games every week. But his calling for goals seems so forced. Liverpool will score and he'll wax lyrical about Salah or Mane for about a minute with lines he's probably thought up pre-game. Makes me cringe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

I'm probably in the minority here but Peter Drury drives me insane. He seems to be the #1 guy as on the overseas coverage at least, he gets the biggest games every week. But his calling for goals seems so forced. Liverpool will score and he'll wax lyrical about Salah or Mane for about a minute with lines he's probably thought up pre-game. Makes me cringe. 

He used to be so much worse like 10 years ago or so. Now he's pretty tolerable, but those alliterative catchphrases he has for players are still super cringe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He used to be so much worse like 10 years ago or so. Now he's pretty tolerable, but those alliterative catchphrases he has for players are still super cringe.

Totally agree! He speaks in soundbites rather than letting things flow naturally. Its like he is reading from a script that was written by Confuscious and Ron Atkinson, permeated occasionally by screaming the words Salah!! and Mané!!!

• Like 2

Speaking of commentators, I really like Ian Darke who called our game yesterday. Doesn't seem to be on as much as he used to. Really reminds me of the golden age of the PL of the late 2000's (also happened to be our golden age in the PL). Pretty sure he commentated on our win at the Emirates in 2009 when Gabby scored that great winner late on.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Its like he is reading from a script that was written by Confuscious and Ron Atkinson

I know what I'm getting tickets to see when lockdown is over.

Â