Media and punditry

BOF

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

West Ham are the biggest myth in football.

Highest top flight league placing in their entire 100+ year history was 3rd. In 1986. Once. 

No league titles.

No League Cups

No European cups

Just 3 FA Cups. That's it. 

Er... they won the World Cup didn't they?

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

And produced future Worls Cup winners like Lampard, Carrick, Tomkins, Noble and Freddie Sears

Proper academy

In all fairness theyI managed to palm Marlon Harewood off on us 

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Interesting discussion as some people do take stats as gospel

They basically made two points and I agree with both. Firstly, that stats unrelated to goals should be viewed in the context of trends and even then they aren't that useful. The example they used was Vardy being labelled as having a bad game against WHU because he didn't have many touches but when viewed in the context of his average touches it was not noticeably different than his touch numbers the previous week when he scored 3.

The second was that xA is a better measure of creativity than actual assist numbers. This should be obvious but I've never seen it mentioned on any live coverage.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Interesting discussion as some people do take stats as gospel

I like the chances created stat more than anything. It's no surprise that Kevin De Bruyne is always far and away at the top of those lists. The problem with assist stats is it relies on the other person finishing the chance which doesn't really reflect on the player in question. He could have played a 50 yd through ball, but if the striker misses the 1 on 1 then it's not an assist. But it goes down as a chance created though which is all a creative player can do on his end.

On 22/10/2020 at 21:30, choffer said:

If Savage says “Inny ach oh” one more time I’m going to launch something. 

How difficult is it for someone who is being paid to commentate to actually learn how to pronounce a players name?

Hasselbaink managed to call Alioski 'Aloisi' about half a dozen times tonight.

On 19/10/2020 at 07:19, villa4europe said:

doesn't understand what he's watching, another who gets paid handsomely to watch football and simply doesn't do it

I've knocked it all on the head due to villa being shit under lerner and losing a bit of love for it all but there will be people on here who watch double the amount of football as that clown

I actually think he's one of the best tactical analysis pundits on U.K tv (not saying that's much) but for some reason he has a really downer on us. Even after beating Liverpool and Leicester in two different ways he was barely giving us credit on MOTD2. Has a Father stone lite voice when he does co commentary aswell.

Edit: @slowandlow he said in interview he never liked playing at Villa Park, never felt it was a big game compared to say going to surprise surprise Leeds.

Agree on the West Ham stuff btw. Leeds might be getting lots of unjust hype currently but West Ham have had that for last 20 years pretty much and they barely do anything each season but suppose boardroom circus is enough to keep things going.

Edited by VillaChris

Was watching El Clasico on Bein Sports earlier and both Richard Keyes and Andy Gray called Tom Cairney 'Crainey' when they cut to his goal today. Both of them loathsome idiots from the dark ages, and thick to boot.

And I'm annoyed at myself for forgetting the match and pundit in question, but I was watching a game the other day and the guy on co-comms described how a player 'rose like a powerhorse' when heading the ball. POWERHORSE.

Jermaine Beckford and Kieron Dyer both fairly impressive new pundits from what I've seen.

Obviously made to look better than they are being sat next to wallies like Jamie Redknapp et al.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Jermaine Beckford and Kieron Dyer both fairly impressive new pundits from what I've seen.

Obviously made to look better than they are being sat next to wallies like Jamie Redknapp et al.

The younger pundits seem to be a lot better than all these ancient dudes who look like they were dragged out of a sarcophagus who only seem to have jobs because they were good players who played for big teams. I think Beckford, Dyer and Rosenior might have like 3 England caps between them.

Actually Dyer has 33, during England's supposed golden age, which is astounding to me :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

The Sun claiming Pogba is to quit the French national side due to Macron criticizing Islamic fundamentalism. Turns out to be completely unfounded and Pogba is not too well pleased and is going to sue.

2 hours ago, sne said:

The Sun claiming Pogba is to quit the French national side due to Macron criticizing Islamic fundamentalism. Turns out to be completely unfounded and Pogba is not too well pleased and is going to sue.

The British media's obsession with Pogba is weird. Is it that they can't stand the fact that a Man United academy player flourished away from Manchester?

On 25/10/2020 at 22:09, Keyblade said:

The younger pundits seem to be a lot better than all these ancient dudes who look like they were dragged out of a sarcophagus who only seem to have jobs because they were good players who played for big teams. I think Beckford, Dyer and Rosenior might have like 3 England caps between them.

Actually Dyer has 33, during England's supposed golden age, which is astounding to me :crylaugh:

Dyer was a phenomenal player. 

Â