Media and punditry

BOF

25 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Last on motd2 - even Brighton vs Sheffield Utd bore draw preferred over a local derby! 

☹️

I think it’s common for the late game to be shown last. Possibly to give a decent edit time.

On 08/12/2020 at 01:06, HanoiVillan said:

A little trip down memory lane for you, from the different universe that was 21 years ago:

Eogt4RjXMAAaIXw?format=jpg&name=large

On the other side of the page were Lord Lucan and Rudolph Hess who were quoted as "shocked" and "saddened" 😄

• Haha 1

This commentary team on Amazon are shocking. Beglin, really wants Chelsea to win, really doesn’t want to praise us at all. Giving Lampard so much praise, talking about he won’t want standards to drop etc, that’s the same for any manager surely.

This may be a broad summary but i think 99% of ex footballers aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box and when asked to commentate on a game or give opinions they usually trot out the same old same old stuff - although it's been many years since I heard "sick as a parrot".

So it's no surprise to hear what karen carney said last night. Too much guesswork and not enough research in to Leeds' promotion efforts. I don't agree with the sexist shite she's been given but fair criticism is fine.

I personally don't like her especially when she co commentates as she either repeats back whats just been said to her or she hardly shuts up from yapping. Yes Karen,  i can see that was a 40 yard pass and yes Karen i too think the striker will be "disappointed" he didn't score just now 🙄

By the way, i think Kelly Cates is a fantastic presenter just in case y'all thought i was a misogynist 

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

This may be a broad summary but i think 99% of ex footballers aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box and when asked to commentate on a game or give opinions they usually trot out the same old same old stuff - although it's been many years since I heard "sick as a parrot".

So it's no surprise to hear what karen carney said last night. Too much guesswork and not enough research in to Leeds' promotion efforts. I don't agree with the sexist shite she's been given but fair criticism is fine.

I personally don't like her especially when she co commentates as she either repeats back whats just been said to her or she hardly shuts up from yapping. Yes Karen,  i can see that was a 40 yard pass and yes Karen i too think the striker will be "disappointed" he didn't score just now 🙄

By the way, i think Kelly Cates is a fantastic presenter just in case y'all thought i was a misogynist 

She's no different from most pundits on TV (Karen). They're all as bad as each other, and it's become normalized to have dour commentary completely devoid of any insight in our football matches. Two of our last 3 games were co-commentated by Tony Gale for example. He's been on the commentary circuit for decades now and it hurts my brain how poor his commentary is, yet he still keeps getting wheeled out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

This may be a broad summary but i think 99% of ex footballers aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box and when asked to commentate on a game or give opinions they usually trot out the same old same old stuff 

It's a really interesting phenomenon called the 'myth of talent'. The idea that someone successful in one aspect of something can apply it to other areas with the same success which in reality is the exception rather than the norm. People might expect R9 to be an absolutely fantastic manager due to his playing ability but he'd probably be crap. A lot of players that good have attributes that enable them to play the game in a way that can't be taught or is very difficult to teach as some players just can't do it. It happens less in other sports but it's similar to Lewis Hamilton being a F1 team leader. May do well, but generally it's a totally different skill set. 

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's a really interesting phenomenon called the 'myth of talent'. The idea that someone successful in one aspect of something can apply it to other areas with the same success which in reality is the exception rather than the norm. People might expect R9 to be an absolutely fantastic manager due to his playing ability but he'd probably be crap. A lot of players that good have attributes that enable them to play the game in a way that can't be taught or is very difficult to teach as some players just can't do it. It happens less in other sports but it's similar to Lewis Hamilton being a F1 team leader. May do well, but generally it's a totally different skill set. 

You dont have to have been a horse to become a jockey, isnt that the famous quote and its true. Yes some good players have become good managers or pundits but its not always the same. I think some VT posters are better at analysing a game than some of the Sky crew for example. I think some of the best experts on football have never played the game, people like Sid Lowe or Tim Vickery.

I think the best punditry I have seen in recent years was Mourinho and Wenger, great coaches but nothing in terms of football ability

20 hours ago, mottaloo said:

The thing is, it's hardly an unreasonable opinion. I mean she overstated it rhetorically by saying covid was the only reason they got promoted, but the idea that they were helped in avoiding burnout they had suffered from in the previous season by a long break and chance to rest is hardly ridiculous.

It's fine, some teams benefitted from the covid break and others didn't. We really benefitted from it, and so did Leeds. I feel like Villa fans are less touchy about acknowledging that, for whatever reason, although obviously I'm biased.

• Like 2

Garth Crooks. I don’t really need to say any more, but I will. 

His team of the year is out, featuring Mings and Grealish. 

Garth's Team of the Year

He had this to say on Grealish 

Jack Grealish: The contribution Grealish made to Aston Villa's Premier League survival last season was quite extraordinary. However, what has taken place since Villa's miraculous escape from relegation has been phenomenal. They put seven goals past Liverpool, three past Leicester with 10 men and even topped the table during the early part of the season. Grealish has been their mastermind in every single game. The issue now facing the Villa star is can he do the same for his country?

While it’s nice that he’s included Jack, I can’t help but feel he doesn’t really watch the games. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Mings was in Nev and Carraghers team of the year also if I am not mistaken which is hilarious and just shows how much football these top pundits don't watch.

It’s like they just read the headlines and look up the most basic of stats. In fact they probably don’t even do that, I bet they email the intern to find them some stats. I love Mings but I’d be hard pushed to put him in my team of the year. 

Â