Media and punditry

BOF

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah but we lost 5-1 at Newcastle and he’s not bothered to really follow us closely since, so… 

It's fascinating how 'it's the first impression that counts'; there have been 8 games since then of which we've won 6 and drawn 1, but all anyone seems to think about is that first game. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's fascinating how 'it's the first impression that counts'; there have been 8 games since then of which we've won 6 and drawn 1, but all anyone seems to think about is that first game. 

Yep. And Newcastle are seen as outside title contenders yet we're not despite being 3 points ahead of them and similarly blowing teams away at home.

In truth I don't think either team will get close to even seriously competing for the title once we get into the business end of the season, but absurd how people's perceptions are.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I posted this in the match thread, but it’s relevant here. 

This disrespect from (I think) Lee Dixon when asked if Villa can threaten the giant clubs above them, basically said no because after the Newcastle loss on day one it shows that we are inconsistent and we’ll always have a bad result that keeps us out of the frame. The dismissive tones that pundits use around Villa both piss me off and satisfy me, one day they won’t be able to disregard us any more. 

Also… he said that we might get injuries through the season and not have the depth. No acknowledgment that we are already without four first team players. 

The media are nowt but fools man. 

Thats who it was, was weird commentary all game not just him

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Thats who it was, was weird commentary all game not just him

They both sounded like they were bored and would rather be anywhere else. I can't help thinking that if it were Newcastle or Brighton battering West Ham that there would be a lot more praise and hype going around. We're obviously a team they hope will fall by the wayside because there's no big narrative that they can lazily allude to ('Brighton are so exciting and find all these incredible players for peanuts', 'Newcastle are the richest club in the world and we can't wait for them to challegne for the league!'). We're 'just' a good team with excellent players and a brilliant manager but if you're not one of the sides that have been designated as worthy of consistent attention then the media would rather not have to pay you too many compliments. Too bad as we're not going away and they will have to give us due credit eventually. 

• Like 1

"And the last time Villa beat West Ham the manager was none other than Tim Sherwood. Tim, can you tell me the score and who got the goal(s) that day?"

"I can't actually. We won so many games...Ah Tom Cleverly, yes I knew he'd done something good for me." :D

• Haha 1

BBC clearly don’t have a clue how we play and clearly don’t watch.. according to them Kamara was in a back 3 today 🤦🏻‍♂️

But the adventurous, attacking formation that Emery has deployed - with three at the back and Matty Cash and Lucas Digne as wing-backs - allows Douglas Luiz the freedom to move into a more advanced role”

Match report

Yes sometimes we do go there at the back, but we did t today at all.

Edited by mikeyp102

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I posted this in the match thread, but it’s relevant here. 

This disrespect from (I think) Lee Dixon when asked if Villa can threaten the giant clubs above them, basically said no because after the Newcastle loss on day one it shows that we are inconsistent and we’ll always have a bad result that keeps us out of the frame. The dismissive tones that pundits use around Villa both piss me off and satisfy me, one day they won’t be able to disregard us any more. 

Also… he said that we might get injuries through the season and not have the depth. No acknowledgment that we are already without four first team players. 

The media are nowt but fools man. 

Does he realise Newcastle lost their next three after beating us.

I find Dixon o.k if boring to listen to on comms but that's just lazy...same as Danny Murphy saying around March last season our results were really no better than under Slippy which was disproven within about ten minutes of him saying that.

That said I'd rather we continue to stay under the radar and have pundits be ill-informed rather than getting hyped up endlessly as we've come unstuck before in that situation.

• Like 2

We had Steve Wilson (?) and Jim Beglin on commentary on our feed. Was quite good for a change.

I knew our record was bad against West Ham, but they dropped the stat that over our last 10 league games against West Ham, we'd led for a total of 10 minutes. Thankfully we've vanquished that stat today.

• Like 1

Ben Mee is bizarre. 

you’d think he’s this thuggish thick idiot based on the awful challenges he’s made but he’s smart, came out incredibly strongly against the all lives matter nonsense Burnley’s fans played around with in 2020/21 and I think he’s actually vegan 🤣

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Ben Mee shouldn't be walking in Villa Park. Anyone in claret and blue should be stamping on his knees out of general principle.

With you there. I'd have suggested throwing a cabbage at him but being a vegan, he'd have no doubt loved it! 

Â