Media and punditry

BOF

11 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Fair comments. 

I'm not saying the female commentators are useless, like you said, some of the men are too, but I guess it comes down to the fact I'm of an age where I grew up listening to Radio 5, Mike Ingham, Alan Green, Simon Brotherton etc... and they'd paint a picture, they were knowledgeable and their voices would instill a sense of tension & excitement. 

It's all very generic now days, point out the obvious, waffle on a bit, 'oh a goals gone in'. 

I think it's Sandersons reaction that has pissed me off, totally over the top. 

I think people of the older generation are better verbal story tellers over all.

Maybe that plays a part. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe because smaller (for a lack of a better word) sports like rugby or cricket don't have such a pressure to invite half brained celebrities to the studio to get more clicks? 

I believe that is true, as Alison Mitchell is a journalist and never played top level womens cricket. This would never happen in football, as they need 'star' to talk rubbish.

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not having a pop at you or your missus but have heard it before but the they didnt play the game argument doesnt hold up for me. Jose Mourinho never played and people would listen to him. Also some of the best football minds about are journalists not ex players

Also Gary Neville, Alan Shearer retired 10-15 years ago, football has changed so much since then that could argue they havent played the same game either

Plus i know who i would prefer to listen to between a "token" female co commentator or Danny Murphy or Jermaine Jenas

Mourinho and Wenger were listened to because they were great managers, they told players what to do, not what they would have done, which is the subtle difference. I think you're right about journalists.

I would argue that mens football from 20 years ago is a lot closer to present day mens football than womens football is, or ever will be.

Most things are preferable to listen to DM and JJ. Silence is better.

Edited by luckyeddie
  • Like 1

I like Robyn Cowen as a commentator but I only every really hear her at big international tournaments, there's also one who does the commentary on the FA Player for WSL games who I think is good, can't remember her name but she has a casual way of speaking that's her own style and makes a change from the commentators that try to over drama everything. Most female commentators I've thought are fine.

I don't watch games expecting amazing insights, I just want to watch the football, so as long as the commentator and co-commentator are not annoying whether female or male it's fine by me.

The commentators I tend to not like are the ones the likes of sky and ITV have for the big games that are way over the top, try and over dramatize everything, always trying to come up with memorable lines,  Peter Dury and Martin Tyler being two examples of that.

The commentators 20 years ago were great, so much better than today!

And on a completely different topic, back then I had time to listen to football all the time, in between epic nights out clubbing and my knees didn't hurt so much. These points are definitely not connected in any way. 

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Fair comments. 

I'm not saying the female commentators are useless, like you said, some of the men are too, but I guess it comes down to the fact I'm of an age where I grew up listening to Radio 5, Mike Ingham, Alan Green, Simon Brotherton etc... and they'd paint a picture, they were knowledgeable and their voices would instill a sense of tension & excitement. 

It's all very generic now days, point out the obvious, waffle on a bit, 'oh a goals gone in'. 

Commentary is pretty awful now regardless of gender. How a donkey like Martin Tyler was allowed commentate for so long amazes me 

Commentators want to be a star too instead of calling the game

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Now commentary is a lot more biased than it was before

Agreed. I don't particularly care for the professional main commentators. Tyler, Drury, etc, but give me them any day over the old boys commentating on their old clubs. Carragher shouldn't be commentating on Liverpool and Neville shouldn't be commentating on Man United, their games on sky sports may as well be fanzone.

Last night's little nugget along the lines of

"We all know that Watkins has been brought on to provide goals, but we didn't expect him to be providing assists" after he had been involved in several chance creations.

How is it possible to be so uninformed about a player?

13 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Doesn't she work for TalkSport? Her reaction is right on brand for that media outlet. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Doesn't she work for TalkSport? Her reaction is right on brand for that media outlet. 

Yep. 

It's a shame cos I do enjoy the breakfast show with Brazil & McCoist but they got that Sheban girl on there now and she is literally banging the sexist drum every chance she gets. 

Listened to the Peter Crouch podcast earlier, the newish Friday one where they predict some of the weekend’s games. Sidwell thinks Villa will struggle at Wolves because we’ve played away in Europe this week. The other two agreed. That’s twice in the last few weeks I’ve heard people on TV get our fixtures wrong, it was TNT the first time. 

13 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think people of the older generation are better verbal story tellers over all.

Maybe that plays a part. 

Forgetting that he is a nonce Stuart Hall was fantastic.

Is there a worse pundit/co-commentator than Don Hutchison? I made the mistake of turning on Five Live last night and the amount of twaddle that guy talks is mind-boggling. Gave us no credit for battering Brighton (was a fluke according to him), and said De Zerbi's great because he'd rather lose 3-2 than win 1-0 (seems like a smart strategy). He then got very worked up that Fikayo Tomori wasn't in the England squad (he is) and made the point several times (no-one else corrected him, of course). Apparently this guy commentates in Europe as well as on Premier League games. He must either be very cheap or he brings sweets for the production staff because there's no way he's getting those jobs on football knowledge.

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. I don't particularly care for the professional main commentators. Tyler, Drury, etc, but give me them any day over the old boys commentating on their old clubs. Carragher shouldn't be commentating on Liverpool and Neville shouldn't be commentating on Man United, their games on sky sports may as well be fanzone.

That moaning Neville does like he's an old woman getting into a bath that's just too hot for her is just the worst and he needs to reign it in

9 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

This is BBc football live update right now, and the mentions of matches being play today

Screenshot_20231007-124535.png

What's going on? It's like some bizarre twilight zone where noone can speak any truth about villa. 

Â