Media and punditry

BOF

To be fair to the pundits on MOTD it’s quite a tough gig these days in terms of being able to go into too much depth.

I remember when MOTD would be focused on one big game and then essentially a run through of the goals from the days other matches (which was before the spread of fixtures and so you’d have 9+ games to get through every time). So with the time allotted, there isn’t a lot they can do really, though that’s not to make excuses for the likes of Murphy who wouldn’t be able to offer any form of skilled insight irrespective of format and duration.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be fair to the pundits on MOTD it’s quite a tough gig these days in terms of being able to go into too much depth.

I remember when MOTD would be focused on one big game and then essentially a run through of the goals from the days other matches (which was before the spread of fixtures and so you’d have 9+ games to get through every time). So with the time allotted, there isn’t a lot they can do really, though that’s not to make excuses for the likes of Murphy who wouldn’t be able to offer any form of skilled insight irrespective of format and duration.

Its largely the same as the euros, they have to pitch it at an audience that isn't necessarily interested in tactical analysis, they only have a passing interest in football, that's why they're watching the hour long highlights show every week rather than illegally streaming their team or going to games, euros / WC is harder cos its aimed at people who only watch football every 2 years

Its an out dated format though, they need to bin it off and just come up with a modern system showing you thr goals by 6.30pm at the latest, ings goal yesterday was doing the rounds before the 2nd half even kicked off, the PL has made a rod for their own back by selling a product to every other country in the world apart from us in a modern world where we can all obtain that product 

Jeff Stelling should be showing the goals as they go in

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its largely the same as the euros, they have to pitch it at an audience that isn't necessarily interested in tactical analysis, they only have a passing interest in football, that's why they're watching the hour long highlights show every week rather than illegally streaming their team or going to games, euros / WC is harder cos its aimed at people who only watch football every 2 years

Its an out dated format though, they need to bin it off and just come up with a modern system showing you thr goals by 6.30pm at the latest, ings goal yesterday was doing the rounds before the 2nd half even kicked off, the PL has made a rod for their own back by selling a product to every other country in the world apart from us in a modern world where we can all obtain that product 

Jeff Stelling should be showing the goals as they go in

You’re bang on with all of that, i think for a lot of people, myself included, watching MOTD is an exercise in nostalgia and not much else, it’s clinging on to a world/life that simply doesn’t exist any longer.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The tolerance and protection of Kane by the media is absolutely out of order, sky In particular are as low if not lower then the scum6dicks that make this game despicable at times.

White and English. What did anybidy expect 🤮

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

White and English. What did anybidy expect 🤮

They don't even care anymore what their customers think of them, their full on scum12 coverage and their fight against these immoral clubs was a joke, quickly swept under carpet and never mentioned again.

Dickheads.

• Like 1

Dion Dublin and Don Hutchison (who I generally like) saying that Martial doesn't enjoy football simply because he doesn't smile. What the hell? Also trotting out the typical boomerisms of "you're being paid a fortune to play for Manchester United". Completely unfair and uncalled for. They don't know the guy from Adam.

On 22/08/2021 at 19:56, bannedfromHandV said:

That approach used to breed some classics from shearer: “he picks it up here, he takes it there, he scores it there”…top analysis Alan! 😂

Talking of Crooks, his latest musings

Yves Bissouma: I've had my eye on him for some time now and with every touch of the ball he seems to get better. I dare say he might have made my team of the week on more occasions had he been playing for a more fashionable side.

Brighton played some good football and so did Watford. However, the best player on the pitch was without doubt Bissouma. He's 24, box to box, makes excellent interceptions and can see a pass.

He came to Brighton for an undisclosed fee which normally means he cost buttons. If he's not worth upwards of £25m in the current market, I'll eat my hat. Brighton will do well to hold on to him.

Finger on the pulse again Garth. You're meant to be a football journalist. Only interested in the top teams. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58298530

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Talking of Crooks, his latest musings

Finger on the pulse again Garth. You're meant to be a football journalist. Only interested in the top teams. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58298530

some quotes from the article

Three teams may have won promotion, but Brentford seem, at least on current form, to be the more likely to survive. Although I'm still not totally convinced.

2 games in

Chelsea are not Champions League winners by accident. Their performance against Arsenal was a gentle reminder to all concerned they have no intention of surrendering that trophy and have one eye firmly fixed on the Premier League as well.

nobody thought this at all

This was a game Spurs were lucky to win, but win it they did. The difference between the two sides was very simple. Alli can finish and Adama Traore can't. The Wolves winger has it all. Electric pace, tremendous power and, on occasions a touch of skill, but the most difficult thing to do on a football pitch is to put the ball in the net. Alli stepped up to score his first league goal in 17 months from the penalty spot, which takes courage and confidence.

**** sake Garth, no Anwar on that basis

Demarai Gray: Leeds got what they deserved in the opening exchanges against Everton. I'm no fan of VAR, but referee Darren England's use of the replay check, for the first goal when in doubt, was the right thing to do.

How Liam Cooper had the nerve to question his subsequent booking, never mind the penalty he gave away for pulling Dominic Calvert-Lewin's shirt practically off his back, beggars belief.

As for Everton, I think they are very lucky to have got Rafa Benitez so soon as manager after losing Carlo Ancelotti. The Spaniard has brought in winger Gray, who looked electric against Leeds and is a real talent.

no words :D 

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

“What’s the point of playing the match in the first place? You know the side in the higher league are better. Just do the cup on league position. It’s just my opinion.”

He is entitled to his opinions, but he should only be entitled to share his insane, gormless ramblings inside a padded cell and not on national television.

• Haha 2

To be honest I'd much rather MOTD just showed more of the games and kept the analysis down to the bare minimum. If they're not going to do it with interesting impartial insightful professionalism, just some m more of the game. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, sidcow said:

To be honest I'd much rather MOTD just showed more of the games and kept the analysis down to the bare minimum. If they're not going to do it with interesting impartial insightful professionalism, just some m more of the game. 

100%

No presenter needed, just a voice over announcing this n that, never happen, how would they be able to impart their biased views.

• Like 1

Â