Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

It's possible to over analyze players shortcomings. Sometimes they just aren't very good footballers. Westwood is a perfect example.He's just not very good.

watching the game is still the best method for me.

stats are not for me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Probably not, but given the state of the midfield i don't think think thats much praise. 

Do you not think that for a professional footballer his passing ability is anywhere near acceptable?

Jedinak?

Of course it is. Think about what you're saying.

For a top class footballer? No it's not, but that's why he's playing for Aston Villa in the Championship and not a top team.

But my entire point was that his passing is lacking, but he makes up for it by being good at something the team needs.
Just like Benteke's passing was poor, but he made up for it by putting the ball in the net.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Jedinak?

Of course it is. Think about what you're saying.

For a top class footballer? No it's not, but that's why he's playing for Aston Villa in the Championship and not a top team.

But my entire point was that his passing is lacking, but he makes up for it by being good at something the team needs.
Just like Benteke's passing was poor, but he made up for it by putting the ball in the net.

What IS he good at though?

8 hours ago, WooJung said:

Who? Jedinak?

Already answered below. I fear this is getting off topic so we can carry on in Jedinak's thread if necessary.

Jedinak is crap, for example, at passing and retaining possession. But he's good at tackling and breaking up play and winning headers which is what he's in the team for. Fortunately the things he is good at are beneficial to us as a team so he's earned his place (for the most part).

It just isn't enough to justify him being in the team. Especially when he's played alongside a similarly ineffectual player like yesterday.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WooJung said:

I cant work out if the 'he' is Benteke or Jedinak in this question? They both have their own threads on here and everything!! but I would say after missing the Cardiff game it's fairly obvious what Jedinak brings to the table. Benteke was pretty good at goals and offsides imo. Westwood, well here we are 567 pages down the line and the answer is still only passing a bit.

I really find the general hatred towards Westwood odd tbh. He's a very limited footballer, without question, and of course I'd also prefer to see him replaced with a better player. But it's not like he's ever taken a piss at the club like so many others. 

He clearly plays better with some more muscle besides him, as he had a decent game against Leeds imho. Then he hit rock bottom again with Gardner, which was to be expected.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I really find the general hatred towards Westwood odd tbh. He's a very limited footballer, without question, and of course I'd also prefer to see him replaced with a better player. But it's not like he's ever taken a piss at the club like so many others. 

He clearly plays better with some more muscle besides him, as he had a decent game against Leeds imho. Then he hit rock bottom again with Gardner, which was to be expected.  

Yeah this. He plays well when the team is playing well and vice versa, and doesn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck...so it was to be expected that he would be awful alongside Gardner who's even worse in all those aspects.

He's limited and can be useful in certain situations and for squad depth, but given the state of our midfield and our style of play...we can't really afford to accommodate him anymore. We don't even really try to keep possession all that much anymore, so he's pretty much superfluous to our setup now.

• Like 2

He's beyond awful and besides the game he scored 2 consolation goals last season.. he has not had a good game since his first season. It's literally like we're down to 10 men every game. He doesn't tackle.. pass.. assist.. score.. close down midfielders.. what does he do? I don't hate him.. I have nothing against him.. I'm sure hes a wonderful guy. He needs to go.. for his own career.. he's lost the fans..And his confidence. He will never get it back here. He's just a reminder of the dark few years weve had. Any new signings will lose their sparkle around players like him and Gabby. It's best for all he moves on.

17 hours ago, philgetaway said:

Just checked their website:

Westwood had 30 touches

Gardner 41

Tish 45 

The original claim was from some joker on twitter and people / the brum mail have lapped it up.

Anyway... he's shit an needs to go obviously.

No it wasn't. It was on the website. It's been corrected now it seems. 

I  think the hatred for Westwood comes from the fact that he has an annoyingly precious, deliberate manner of playing that is entirely at odds with his inability to up his game and adapt himself to the huge limitations our team has.  Why hasn't he been able to remotely improve a team with such obvious, obvious problems?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shomin Geki said:

I  think the hatred for Westwood comes from the fact that he has an annoyingly precious, deliberate manner of playing that is entirely at odds with his inability to up his game and adapt himself to the huge limitations our team has.  Why hasn't he been able to remotely improve a team with such obvious, obvious problems?

Isn't that your answer right there? Almost every player we've signed in the past 5 years either regressed or not lived up to expectations other than special players like Benteke.

I think the hatred for Westwood comes from the same place as my disliking of Hutton comes from. Everyone can see they are not good enough, yet they keep on playing and playing, in Westwoods case, 144 league games for Villa. The not knowing what he contributes and why he still keeps playing no matter what, when it is so blatantly obvious that he is not good enough. too many questions and no answers ! frustration, he is one of our biggest weaknesses it is so damn obvious, though why can't Bruce, Di Matteo, Garde, Black, Sherwood and Lambert see it ! What exactly does he do ! he may not be our worst player, but he has been in our worst 3 performances for about 3 seasons at least now. Get rid of him, pleeeaaase ! 

• Like 1

I'll summarize 567 pages of posts

Ashley Westwood is shit

no he's not

There is statistical proof and I've seen it with my own eyes

(I dont know what I'm talking about but I'll say it anyway) You're wrong - I have no way to statistically prove it and I've seen it with my own 2 eyes that he's shit but I dont want to admit it so I'll say it again youre wrong