Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I tell you what you can argue till your blue in the face about is he good enough or is he ineffective. But what is totally unarguable is his appalling shooting.  Time after time after time if the ball breaks out to him and you see him shaping up to shoot you just know he's going to blaze it over or wide. 

So you know what I would rather ship him out and get in another player who we can argue all day about if he's good enough and as long as he stuck away the odd goal from the edge of the box we would still be better off.

He had 2 chances today to smash in the kind of shot you see week after week in any professional league which would have earned us a draw at a very tricky away ground. The kind of point which wins you promotion but instead we get his usual also ran finishing. Sticking with him and his ilk will guarantee us a good long stay in the lower leagues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Made the most tackles and had the most shots of anyone on our team - "does nothing".

Standard Westwood bashing for the hell of it.

Haters gonna hate. 

The circlejerk hate is real.

3 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I actually think he might have made Gardner's performance worse. Anyone that pairs up in midfield with Westwood seems to be shit (minus Delph). 

its quite a good point in fairness, wouldnt even say Delph was really that good next to him as had more bad games than good for Villa. If Gana and Veretout both shine at new teams then could say its a very fair theory

Westwood isn't good enough to carry an whole team, but if Villa play well then Westwood plays well. If we sign Morrison a Diame type and possibly Jedinak or someone like him, then I think we'll see him back to his old reliable self. Basically the better the players around him the better he plays.

Edited by useless

32 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is this sarcasm? The first chance he maybe could have done better with, the second was a beautiful bit of technique. He was unlucky not to see that fly in. Either way, scoring goals from outside the box isn't exactly "expected" surely? 

First half shit, second much better and thought he was instrumental despite being completely isolated by a shocking Gardner for the entire match. I don't think he's particularly good, but he would be an ok squad player at this level. 

No I am being serious. I am not talking about today specifically I was using today as an example of his usual end product. Scoring from outside the box is not "expected" but as I said whenever the ball breaks to him you don't even need to keep watching to know what's comming next. Most half decent midfielders should contribute a handful of goals and smash the odd one in but with Westwood it's rarer than hens teeth. 

Edited by sidcow

Ok squad player, nothing more.  Doesn't dictate play or influence games, nor does make enough incisive passes to win matches. Cannot shield the defence, nor gets in the box enough to score goals.  He is a tidy player on the ball, but not much else. I've no doubt he will have some decent games in this divison, but we need more than that. I don't dislike him and am happy to have him in the squad, I just don't want him starting week in week out.  

no agenda against Westwood at all but he just a really crap player. offers nothing and im sure all fans would love to be praising him every game but nothing to praise except maybe his tan

If we could ban him from shooting he wouldn't seem as bad as he does. He isn't a very good footballer, that much is obvious, but it's the constant shooting wide from 20 yards that highlights his weaknesses. Until we can find someone stupid enough to buy him we should just fine him heavily every time he shoots.

At least he's shooting. I'm fed up of constant play around the area with no one having the balls to shoot and we inevitably lose the ball and end up on the back foot. I'm glad Westwood has the balls to shoot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

At least he's shooting. I'm fed up of constant play around the area with no one having the balls to shoot and we inevitably lose the ball and end up on the back foot. I'm glad Westwood has the balls to shoot.

Why? Every time he shoots he misses and the attack is over. What's the point in that? I'd rather he picked out a killer ball or, if he really must shoot, learn how to hit the target.

Lol. It's his fault Gardner was shit ( Gardner takes responsibility for that :/ ).   He only makes stat friendly passes (he hit 4 out of 6 long balls one of which was a peach to put Hutton in ).  He never tackles ( he had 4 tackles and a very important block after a rebound ) .  His 2 chances were the type that should be scored week in week out ( he should of done better with the first but the second would of been a worldie).

I think some people spend too much time giving out in match threads and miss half of what goes on in the actual match, oh and telling someone to piss off as your opening statement is just pathetic.  

• Like 2

He was utterly absent in the first half but like much of the team he improved as the game went on. Those shooting chances were very difficult, in fairness; the first one was with about three defenders in the way, and little to no sight of goal, and the second was good skill to bring the ball down. 

I'm no fan of Westwood - I described him as 'utter trash' last week - but this wasn't his worst performance. He was better than Gardner anyway. 

He just isnt good enough to be a start for this club.. even in the Championship.. just offers very little. He doesnt dominate.. doesnt score or assist enough.. and doesnt win enough tackles. Just goes missing too often. Squad player at best. Same goes with Gardner.