Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

Really looking forward to seeing the lad play. I know his goal scoring record is a bit flaky but who knows with some decent service he could surprise a few.

Yeah and hopefully he's set to improve in to his prime too.

The fact they we've signed him given his awful goal record makes me think there's something about him lambert sees that everyone else has missed. That in itself makes it an interesting signing for me... What exactly have we signed him for, coz its not his goals

The fact they we've signed him given his awful goal record makes me think there's something about him lambert sees that everyone else has missed. That in itself makes it an interesting signing for me... What exactly have we signed him for, coz its not his goals

Its far from awful - I echo Gareths comment, if you actually look at the games he has started then he has a good record in a struggling side.

Nice bit of scouting.

Lambert must have saw something in this guy, otherwise he would not have bought him.. Maybe it was when Lambert was at colchester, Or his early years at Norwich. Remember PL has an extensive knowledge of the talent in the lower leagues. Yes its not a great record, but who knows the Premier league might suit him and he might step it up. I got faith in Lambert, So I got faith in Bowery, Despite his GS record.

It's clear from the lad's physique that he's going to be a Benteke understudy. Tall gangly awkward and physical. I'd say aswell as being a project for the future, he will be part of Lambert's ability to switch tactics. I expect him to be a plan B player. I also hope P3te is right in that Lambert has seen something that others have missed. If he has then he's even more of a genius than I thought.

When we signed Henke as chief scout from AVFC:

Villa's domestic database of player analysis is overseen by Patrick Riley, with tools from Amisco being utilised for statistical background to enhance the club's knowledge in the recruitment process. Gareth Payne provides analysis of opposition players.

See the quote above:

Seems to me Riley and Payne could well be using a ''Moneyball the Film'' sort of way of recruiting good young players like Bowery and maybe even Westwood, people have been saying on here that he been scoring 1 in 3 for starts at Chesterfield, maybe that is what they have based it on? these tools from Amisco and maybe Paynes knowledge?? Good stats with potential to improve, hence spent the 500k on him.

Thoughts?

Villa's domestic database of player analysis is overseen by Patrick Riley, with tools from Amisco being utilised for statistical background to enhance the club's knowledge in the recruitment process. Gareth Payne provides analysis of opposition players.

See the quote above:

Seems to me Riley and Payne could well be using a ''Moneyball the Film'' sort of way of recruiting good young players like Bowery and maybe even Westwood, people he been getting 1 in 3 for starts at Chesterfield, maybe that is what they have based it on? these tools from Amisco and maybe Paynes knowledge?? Good stats with potential to improve, hence spent the 500k on him.

Thoughts?

I've no idea what any of that means.

See the quote above:

Seems to me Riley and Payne could well be using a ''Moneyball the Film'' sort of way of recruiting good young players like Bowery and maybe even Westwood, people he been getting 1 in 3 for starts at Chesterfield, maybe that is what they have based it on? these tools from Amisco and maybe Paynes knowledge?? Good stats with potential to improve, hence spent the 500k on him.

Thoughts?

I think I get you. Looking at the team as the sum of the parts and what parts are missing even if they are not the most stunning transfer.

It could be moneyball tact, future project or using him in a different position. I also trust PL enough that I'm highly intrigued to find out.

See the quote above:

Thoughts?

I think I get you. Looking at the team as the sum of the parts and what parts are missing even if they are not the most stunning transfer.

It could be moneyball tact, future project or using him in a different position. I also trust PL enough that I'm highly intrigued to find out.

exactly mate, not sure why guy above you does not understand? has he seen the film ''Moneyball'' with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill based on a true story, it could be common sense using statistics to purchase the best players in lower leagues based on a range of things/attributes, i think the comment i posted from OS using this Amisco system is very interesting.. So when we went for Westwood or Bowery it could well have been based on this system.. who knows though? :lol: 8) am highly intrigued myself at seeing who else we snap up!!

Patrick Riley's original role with the club was as our performance analyst I think - he measured things like the ground covered by players, their top speeds, heart rates, times spent at a sprinting speed during games, degradation of effort over ninety minutes, all of that sort of stuff and provided info to managers - so he's definitely someone who uses stats to monitor players, maybe there's something in the idea that he's added some judgement on playing ability to the statistical analysis. I'd doubt it'd be just that on its own though.

This "money ball" aspect is a huge and vital part of the game today for sure.

The Secret Footballer touches on it a fair bit in his book / articles.

City are using it in a BIG way apprently.

Citeh using "Moneyball" ? Moneyball is a way of combating the dominance of the richer teams by using statistics to spot undervalued players.

Citeh may well be using a statistical approach but It can't possibly be Moneyball as they pay well over market value for every player they buy

I saw the film and know they had an unbeaten spell but did the 'moneyball' approach lead to actually winning something? Has the guy who started it been able to replicate it at other clubs?

Not really a baseball fan so have limited knowledge. I know this approach sounds great but has it actually worked?

I haven't seen the film or read the book but apparently they had good run of results until he released the book with the formula he used...and other teams naturally started to use it too so the guy's team started losing again.

Â