Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

Can't believe the reactions on here.. Goodness me.. Give the guy a chance will ye!.. He's 21!.. Clearly PL has seen something in him he likes which is fine with me!..We have all been saying how we lack creativity & maybe this is part of the solution... perhaps he sees him as a perfect foil for Bent?.. Could be loads of reasons.. Also the guy from the BBC stated his scoring ratio was quite low due to a high number of appearances from the bench.

Will be dissapointed if he turns out to be our main forward signing and if he isn't it doesn't make sense. Yes he is cheap but I would rather we spent our time chasing a better target than an average 3rd division striker.

Some of the comments on here beggar belief, simply because I suspect that many have got the "Wikipedia" opinion on him and decided they don't like it.

I lived in Chesterfield for years, it's where my wife is from, and a few of her family and friends are season tickets holders; here's a few facts as they see it:

1. He is young, very fast and filling out a bit

2. His finishing has improved a lot over the past couple of years, but still needs work

3. His first touch is not as bad as many people think, but it needs work

4. His scoring record isn't as bad as many think - he started in the first team at 17, and a lot of his 'appearances' were as a sub, often for a few minutes at the end of the game.

5. They think his actual scoring record is 12 goals in 28 starts last season; 17 in 42 starts in total

Personally, I think this is the sort of singing the club should always be making. If he has some of the raw attributes, our coaches will be able to help, as they had bloody well be a lot better than a League 2 teams coaches! And if the manger see's something in him he likes, great.

He is relatively cheap, and his wages will be modest. If we sign a few like this and only 1 or 2 come off, we are quids in.

This is what Spurs were doing a few years ago, and ended up with Dawson, Lennon, Andy Reid, Huddlestone, K Walker, K Naughton, even Defoe (first time around) plus a few that didn't come off and I can't remember. The crux is that the outlay on these we relatively low compared to their current value; it has saved them a fortune and given them a CL calibre squad.

Finally, if anybody really thinks that Lambert and Faulkner are focusing on signing this guy at the expense of making the signing upfront that most of us agree is required, in my opinion, they are bonkers. Sid's probably handling this!

Lecture over. And sorry to the sane amongst us.

I'm baffled by this one. I have no problem with him being unknown or from League One, but his scoring record isn't very good, even at that level. Of course, he costs very little, so it's a small gamble but is it a gamble with much chance of success? He's unlikely to get many games, so what's the point?

It's a Championship type signing this one.

We can't us scoring records as a measure of a good striker. Football is not like baseball or cricket, its a team game.

I bet his scoring record (games to goals) is no worse than our very own Darren Bent's, and you wouldn't call him a poor striker. If a good striker plays for a team that doesn't create many chances per game, the goals to games ratio will be low.

You can only call a striker poor if he continually fluffs the chances he gets. Lets see what his about.

I'm baffled by this one. I have no problem with him being unknown or from League One, but his scoring record isn't very good, even at that level. Of course, he costs very little, so it's a small gamble but is it a gamble with much chance of success? He's unlikely to get many games, so what's the point?

It's a Championship type signing this one.

We can't us scoring records as a measure of a good striker. Football is not like baseball or cricket, its a team game.

I bet his scoring record (games to goals) is no worse than our very own Darren Bent's, and you wouldn't call him a poor striker. If a good striker plays for a team that doesn't create many chances per game, the goals to games ratio will be low.

You can only assume Lambert has seen the way he has taken his chances and he looks good. His overall play may be good too, like Kevin Davies'.

You can only call a striker poor if he continually fluffs the chances he gets. Lets see what he's about.

Really don't see why people are reading anything into his scoring record. If you're playing in a struggling team that isn't creating chances, how do you go and score 20+ goals? There's much more to a player's potential than stats.

As others have said, low risk and we're always moaning when other teams manage to find good lower league players.

Done Deal according to Daily Mil, 1,000,0000, 400k up front and the rest in add ons.

Yeah I've just seen this article -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2195491/Aston-Villa-snap-Chesterfield-striker-Jordan-Bowery-1m-deal.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

They certainly make it sound like he's been bought.

Aston Villa snap up Chesterfield striker Bowery in £1m deal

Chesterfield striker Jordan Bowery, 21, is joining Aston Villa for £1m.

Chesterfield will get around £400,000 for the son of former Nottingham Forest striker Bert Bowery up front with the rest due on appearances.

Villa's bid for Charlton midfielder Dale Stephens has been rejected.

Interesting they'll get installments on appearances, if this article is true.

The claret and blues are also on the verge of signing Chesterfield target man Jordan Bowery for an initial £500,000 which would rise to £1m based on appearances.

Bowery, 21, has a modest strike rate of 10 goals in 83 league appearances for Chesterfield but has been the radar of several Premier League clubs since he broke into the Spireites first team at the age of 17.

FatherAbraham at the Express and Star

Radio Sheffield said it was a done deal last night...

I know a few Chezzy supporters and they say he is a decent player, a grafter, puts his body about and is quite pacy...

they could see the benefits of having him in a premier league SQUAD...

its amazing how easily fans get their knickers in a twist though when its a player lower than the championship...

and if it means the TOTALLY ineffectual Delfouneso can finally be sold then the deal has got a whole lot more attractive IMO

Â