Charles N'Zogbia

Daveburnside

He saw loads of the ball but wasted most of it by glorying or bad decisions. We could of had another couple of goals if he passed a couple of times. Still, he looked dangerous and was popping up in great positions so hopefully it'll work out a bit better next week and he can smash in a free kick vs his old club.

Good to see him back after being out for so long.....

... but his obvious ring rust hasn't disguised his usual play: Head down and run into trouble.

I think I'd prefer Bacuna or even Lowton.

We wouldn't have scored the goal yesterday if any other player would have been in his position when he recieved it IMO.

One of the very few players in the squad capable of running forward with the ball.

Are you serious? He took the ball on the turn, which is essentially Delph's party trick, then tried to skin the player in front of him, got tackled and the ball fell to Weimann. I've seen him run at players for Wigan and he was effective, but currently he is no better at moving the ball forward than any of our other players as it almost always results in him being tackled.

The move that sticks out to me was when he picked the ball up 20 yards from the box, ran 15 yards with his head down, completely missed the run of Delph down the other flank, and was tackled by three stoke defenders.

That is Nzogbia in a nutshell. There is something in there, though, and we do not have the luxury for writing off creative players.

• Like 3

he does deserve a bit of time.

i think it's been a long time since he's had a run of games.

even when he was playing for Lambert a few seasons back he would play 3 or 4 games and then be benched for 3 to 4 games or more, as we just couldn't carry him.

now our back four is looking solid and the fact we have Sanchez means we can carry creative midfielders, but no player can build match sharpness without a decent run in the team.

worth adding also that Bannan and Ireland also never had a run longer than 2 or 3 consecutive games, partly because they were crap partly because we had to sacrifice creativity for defence, or rather bypass the midfield altogether.

Edited by VillanousOne

I hope that Roy Keane is the battering ram that we need, to get Charles out of the selfish habit of running into trouble without releasing the ball. There's a good player in there, if he just looked up an passed it more often. Give him the evil stare, Roy!

Doesn't look up to pace yet. I said to my mate at the game yesterday that he looked like he was on a leash and afraid to break off it

There were some great positives yesterday, the defence and at times the midfield. But the attacking three were basically pants

Always liable to produce a moment of brilliance but lacks the consistency.

Hopefully with a run of games he can start to produce the kind of stuff we bought him for, I don't know how anyone can expect him to come back after a year out and start playing like Ashley Young circa 2008, like with a lot of our players it will take time.

He looked a threat with the ball, but then nearly always made the wrong decision and did something crap.  Pretty well like he has done for his entire career here.

The move that sticks out to me was when he picked the ball up 20 yards from the box, ran 15 yards with his head down, completely missed the run of Delph down the other flank, and was tackled by three stoke defenders.

That is Nzogbia in a nutshell. There is something in there, though, and we do not have the luxury for writing off creative players.

There you go, took 3 defenders towards him because of his threat. When he is back to full fitness it will only need to happen a couple of times in a match to our other players get the pass in acres of space. Edited by HeyAnty

He looked a threat with the ball, but then nearly always made the wrong decision and did something crap.  Pretty well like he has done for his entire career apart from a couple of purple patches at Wigan which also coincided with him looking for a move.

Corrected :)

Well, one can be a bit more tolerant about a 21-year old compared to a, what is Zog, 30-year old veteran? The thing is, Zog hasn't shown very much at all since he came here. A few glimpses but for most of his Villa career he's ran with the ball into a heap of defenders and lost it.

Â