Rino8

16 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Feed club, simple as that I think. 

Deals between clubs and their feeders are usually "good deals" though aren't they? Surely that's part of the relationship?

This just seems to be Liverpool overpaying year after year for players, with varying degrees of success.

NEarly £200m spent by Liverpool on Southampton players over the past few years.

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is anyone starting to think the Liverpool Southampton relationship might be a bit dodgy?

Maybe, the whole thing just stinks doesn’t it. “We’ve got so much money it doesn’t matter”. It’s so crass. It’s hard to believe that a club the size of Liverpool still went back to the club that mugged them off in the summer with more money rather than go elsewhere. I said it before, but don’t they have scouts and transfer committees? 

Didnt they anyone at the club who has enough sense to say this isn’t a great deal, we can do better elsewhere... 

It makes Neymar for £190m look like value, because PSG at least got a special player with enormous marketing potential. WTF are they going to get in return for £75m on this guy?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Deals between clubs and their feeders are usually "good deals" though aren't they? Surely that's part of the relationship?

This just seems to be Liverpool overpaying year after year for players, with varying degrees of success.

NEarly £200m spent by Liverpool on Southampton players over the past few years.

Na I do not think the deals look dodgy.. more the fact Liverpool are having their pants pulled down in prices.

£133.5m in 5 players over 4 years. Mental if anything.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Na I do not think the deals look dodgy.. more the fact Liverpool are having their pants pulled down in prices.

£133.5m in 5 players over 4 years. Mental if anything.

£170m since 2014.

(I thought it was £180m hence the "nearly £200m" above but I've just checked)

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

£170m since 2014.

(I thought it was £180m hence the "nearly £200m" above but I've just checked)

Wow. Still an astranomical figure..

And I bet you Southampton may have little sell on clauses in with some of them too like they did with Bale.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Maybe, the whole thing just stinks doesn’t it. “We’ve got so much money it doesn’t matter”. It’s so crass. It’s hard to believe that a club the size of Liverpool still went back to the club that mugged them off in the summer with more money rather than go elsewhere. I said it before, but don’t they have scouts and transfer committees? 

Didnt they anyone at the club who has enough sense to say this isn’t a great deal, we can do better elsewhere... 

It makes Neymar for £190m look like value, because PSG at least got a special player with enormous marketing potential. WTF are they going to get in return for £75m on this guy?

When it becomes clear that he's an average defender and Liverpool are still shipping goals for fun then I think the answer to that question will be "very little".

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

When it becomes clear that he's an average defender and Liverpool are still shipping goals for fun then I think the answer to that question will be "very little".

Even if he was Brazilian they’d shift some shirts :lol: 

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Maybe, the whole thing just stinks doesn’t it. “We’ve got so much money it doesn’t matter”. It’s so crass.

Several years ago I was in a meeting with the CEO of a club with exceptionally wealthy owners.  He was regularly in and out of the meeting as they were in the midst of a protracted transfer deal, and one where the price kept going up - to the disbelief of most observers.

After one call he came back into the room and told us that the owners had now said that for them it's worse if they don't manage to sign the player than if they pay way over the odds.  A few days later the player was signed, for way over the odds.

The point had been made - if we want your player, we get him.  When money is no object, that's all that matters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Several years ago I was in a meeting with the CEO of a club with exceptionally wealthy owners.  He was regularly in and out of the meeting as they were in the midst of a protracted transfer deal, and one where the price kept going up - to the disbelief of most observers.

After one call he came back into the room and told us that the owners had now said that for them it's worse if they don't manage to sign the player than if they pay way over the odds.  A few days later the player was signed, for way over the odds.

The point had been made - if we want your player, we get him.  When money is no object, that's all that matters.

I can imagine, for them I guess status is more important than money (as they’ve got shit loads of money).

More clubs should be walking away though for the good of their own club. 

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

All about saving face no doubt. 

I would wager the owners weren't American or British?

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Barcelona have always had a big say from Nike. Think they had a big say in the Ronaldinho deal

Doesn't the story about the 1998 World Cup final in Paris go something like this?

Brazilian Ronaldo has an anxiety/panic attack the night before and cannot sleep. The day of the game he is a right mess so he is not named in the original starting line up. The press are baffled as to why he isn't starting, but then 30 minutes later Brazil hand in an amended team sheet with Ronaldo back in the team. Supposedly Nike had flipped and insisted that he should start hence the change. 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Doesn't the story about the 1998 World Cup final in Paris go something like this?

Brazilian Ronaldo has an anxiety/panic attack the night before and cannot sleep. The day of the game he is a right mess so he is not named in the original starting line up. The press are baffled as to why he isn't starting, but then 30 minutes later Brazil hand in an amended team sheet with Ronaldo back in the team. Supposedly Nike had flipped and insisted that he should start hence the change. 

I thought he had a fit? 

Â