Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He's better with the ball than Collins but I'm not sure he's a better defender. Needs to step up.

He's miles and miles better on the ball. Light years. I know he hasn't exactly taken the League by storm but he seems to be getting more consistent and improving so I remain hopeful he'll properly come good.

Vlaar is good IMO. I don't see where the criticism comes from. 

Watch replays of the goals we concede.

He is often left exposed. Okore went missing for the Liverpoo goal the other day so Vlaar was left to try and make a last ditch interception.

Please watch the replay. This is inaccurate. While it's true that Okore was caught doing Lowton's left back job as Lowton was out of position it did not influence the goal which was caused by Vlaar breaking the defensive line putting an offside player onside and ignoring the goal threat in front of him. That is rookie defending.

Inaccurate? Clearly not. Okore went out of position and then stopped following Sturridge when he went back into the box. When you take out a player you have to follow that player because nobody else is going to do it, as they have their own player to mark. Totally Okore's "fault" and it was his rookie mistake. Not a huge blunder, but enough for us to lose the game by one goal to a team with a very good defensive organization after all. Letting Sturridge (their only attacking threat) run free inside the box is just naive.

• Like 1

I'm not actually convinced he is better than Collins, they both have different strengths and weaknesses but I'm fairly sure he is on less money and has a better attitude.

I know what you mean but for me he is better because the weaknesses in Collins' game were often disastrous. To say he had a habit of over-committing (diving out) and leaving us exposed at the back is an understatement. Vlaar doesn't do that and as such we're rarely out-numbered in those situations. Also, particularly given the period of transition we find ourselves in, I think having someone of Vlaar's temperament at the back is also far more beneficial than having a relative hot head like Collins there.

I'm not actually convinced he is better than Collins, they both have different strengths and weaknesses but I'm fairly sure he is on less money and has a better attitude.

I know what you mean but for me he is better because the weaknesses in Collins' game were often disastrous. To say he had a habit of over-committing (diving out) and leaving us exposed at the back is an understatement. Vlaar doesn't do that and as such we're rarely out-numbered in those situations. Also, particularly given the period of transition we find ourselves in, I think having someone of Vlaar's temperament at the back is also far more beneficial than having a relative hot head like Collins there.

The part of Collins game that is far better than Vlaars is that he is much better in the air. I agree about Collins diving in though, Collins is less cultured but physically stronger, when you compare their pros and cons there is not a massive difference in overall quality between the two. I never disliked Collins, he always gave 100% on the pitch but was a bit off a bell end off it

i can understand a few people questioning his ability, he is prone to a few errors, but to look at it another way, had we kept gary cahill many years ago, theres a chance now that we wouldnt of had vlaar, both being of same height, age and ability, of which, neither are out and out leaders, however the only difference is the amount of errors they make, cahill needs someone to guide him like terry, vlaar on the other hand doesnt, and its been mentioned a couple of times ho good cahill is, hes not as good as vlaar

in reflection, villa got the decision right (although the transfers in between were questionable)

I like Big Ron, the problem I got with him is him trying to impress the fans by doing unnecessary "fancy" dribbles as a centerbacks. How many times didn't we see Lowton cover for him last year and already this year Vlaar has done it again!

With Okore in the lineup I´m a bit calmer as he got some pace on him and manages to catch up with many attackers. Ron Vlaar is good in the air (not great though) and he really needs to work on his interceptions. He takes too many risks which gives me heart attacks every time...   

Vlaar is good IMO. I don't see where the criticism comes from. 

Watch replays of the goals we concede.

He is often left exposed. Okore went missing for the Liverpoo goal the other day so Vlaar was left to try and make a last ditch interception.

Please watch the replay. This is inaccurate. While it's true that Okore was caught doing Lowton's left back job as Lowton was out of position it did not influence the goal which was caused by Vlaar breaking the defensive line putting an offside player onside and ignoring the goal threat in front of him. That is rookie defending.

Inaccurate? Clearly not. Okore went out of position and then stopped following Sturridge when he went back into the box. When you take out a player you have to follow that player because nobody else is going to do it, as they have their own player to mark. Totally Okore's "fault" and it was his rookie mistake. Not a huge blunder, but enough for us to lose the game by one goal to a team with a very good defensive organization after all. Letting Sturridge (their only attacking threat) run free inside the box is just naive.

Wrong. You must be thinking that Okore was defending on the left of centre. He wasn't. Okore played whole game on right of centre. Commentator remarked on it early in the game. So it was impossible for Okore to "follow" Sturridge because he was on the other side of Vlaar!!!

Is Ron in the Holland squad for the upcoming international break? Speaking of the Dutch, how is Freddy Bouma doing these days?

was released by PSV so no idea where he playing now. think he is playing in the Petrov game

Ron Vlaar is a footballer. James Collins is just a bloke who plays football.

A defender needs to defend first and foremost.  Vlaar needs to show he can do this when opposition forwards are running at him.  When this happens, he looks less like a footballer and more like a kitten watching something going round inside a washing machine.

Ron Vlaar is a footballer. James Collins is just a bloke who plays football.

A defender needs to defend first and foremost.  Vlaar needs to show he can do this when opposition forwards are running at him.  When this happens, he looks less like a footballer and more like a kitten watching something going round inside a washing machine.

That's not the case at all, he has been very good at intercepting people running at him with a last minute tackle. Your mind is made up though, no matter what he does you wont rate him.

He did spend the entirety of last season babysitting Clark and Baker nearly every match. Okore can handle himself and it should bring out the best in Vlaar.

True and I think this season the other 2 can probably look after themselves too, meaning they should all be better this time around. Our real season starts against Newcastle. It'll be interesting to see how they do.

Â