Stephen Ireland

omariqy

The interview with Ireland was in the telegraph with a few more quotes. (can't c+p on phone) but here's the best one

"i felt at villa if I didn't score a hat trick id be on the bench the next week, when I got a run of games I got player of the season"

The bloke is mentally I'll.

• Like 1

Wouldn't have minded seeing him in a midfield 3 with Delph and Westwood in this team now. He'd be able to get some decent balls forward to this talented front three.

Obviously I'm in the minority :lol: For a while he was the only person who could control and pass the ball in our team.

I don't dislike him half as much as everyone else does here. I like players who have good technique.

The interview with Ireland was in the telegraph with a few more quotes. (can't c+p on phone) but here's the best one

"i felt at villa if I didn't score a hat trick id be on the bench the next week, when I got a run of games I got player of the season"

The bloke is mentally I'll.

Not really. He was inexplicably dropped many times even after putting in (relatively) good performances.

I don't dislike him half as much as everyone else does here. I like players who have good technique.

I actually dislike him more because of how good he could have been.

People try and make out him and Bannan are alike in that they just weren't quite good enough. In reality when Ireland was Bannan's age he scored 13 and got 13 assists and came 3rd in PFA young player of the year.

I don't know why the **** he played the way he did for us in his last few games, he seems to have some kind of persecution complex. I'll be annoyed if he plays well again now he's left but at least I have our current motivated, talented, hard working, not mental squad to console myself with.

If he bears no grudge with Lambert who exactly is it he wants to stick two fingers up at i wonder?

He's an angry gobshite.  He'll stick them up in our [Villa's] general direction.  **** him.

• 4 months later...

Why sign him permanently for a fee in Jan when he's your player on loan anyway until the end of the season and you can offer him a contract without paying a fee? It's not like Lambert is going to recall him. Seems a bit odd to me.

I think we're willing to let him go without a fee. Suggestions are that Stoke want to do this so they can then sign Guidetti on loan, which I don't think they can currently do with Ireland on loan. Providing we aren't paying Ireland his wages until the end of the year, it's a win-win situation for all involved, Villa lose Irelands £80k p/w (or whatever Stoke weren't paying) from the wage bill and Stoke sign Ireland until the end of the season as well as getting Guidetti on loan.

I strongly suspect that we will still be paying some of Ireland's wages though, as I don't see why Ireland would agree to join Stoke until the end of the season on what I assume would be lower wages at least I assume Stoke can't pay players £80k p/w - when he could see out his loan deal and be paid by both us and Stoke.

Then again the Telegraph story reporting this did say Stoke were "Taking Over" the contract, which might indicate that Stoke are going to pay him £80k pw.

I'm not sure how SI is geting on for Stoke but I'd assume he's doing ok if they want to sign him. I also suspect he's going to go back to not giving a hoot once he puts pen to paper on a new multi-year contract.

Â