Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Short term memories....

I wish him luck. He was player of the year at Villa, 2011-2012. Did not work out with Lambert, but might do well with Hughes.

I think the short term memory is that everyone was shit that season and he won by virtue of being slightly less shite than the pile of wank we served up under that god awful manager.

Technicalities....

Not really. Everyone dropped to a level that was extraordinarily shite,  he stayed at just plain shite.

Thus he was slightly better,  or to put it another way read BOFs post above

Oh, get a grip. Whatever way it is put, he was the player of the season.  I seem to recall that Given had a great season, and he was neither extraordinarily nor plain shit, yet Ireland pipped him to the player of the season award. I am finished discussing this. He has left, so good luck to him.

The reason Given didn't get it was because McLeish signed him, and a lot of fans wouldn't vote for a player signed by him. It's probably a reason why so many fans were ready to embrace Guzan last season too. Ireland has had one good game for Villa, when we beat Chelsea 3-1 at Stamford Bridge, it's probably the other reason he got PotY, that one game when he was actually good. He stuck out like a sore thumb as an "attacking flair" player in a mind-numbingly defensive team and another two fingers up to McLeish.

When he joined, he didn't want to join and he showed it, he put in next no effort and never gave the impression he wanted to try. He's been awful for the past three seasons and it's a disgrace that he managed to earn £70k p/w for the displeasure. For that, I hate him and wish his career nosedives, he doesn't deserve a life of luxury and he's been piggybacking off of that one good season at City ever since, and even then he piggybacked on the talent of Robinho and Elano.

Oh, get a grip. Whatever way it is put, he was the player of the season.  I seem to recall that Given had a great season, and he was neither extraordinarily nor plain shit, yet Ireland pipped him to the player of the season award. I am finished discussing this. He has left, so good luck to him.

Just because he won player of the season doesn't mean he deserved it. You're not including a number of factors: the fact that it was a very shit season with shit dour football, the fact that we all had very low expectations for Ireland when compared to most other players and that he only stood out because he showed very small amounts of attacking intent in a team geared entirely for defence.

Are we paying any of his wages?

Yes at my guess about 2 thirds.

i doubt its that much. Stoke pay big was normally as have Crouch and others on big salaries

Just because stoke have paid big wages doesn't nessaserally mean they will just piss money against the wall.

I haven't read or heard anything he may have said when he signed for them but I don't have to. I just know it will be the absolute same shite he spouted when he arrived here and when he pitched up at the barcodes.

Unlike some on here, I don't wish him good luck. Are you **** serious? How much luck does a borderline-retard absolute word removed deserve in this life? He is an oxygen thief who has had a streak of winning the lottery jackpot every year for the last six years. Good luck? **** off.

The luck I wish him for the future differs somewhat. I wish him naught but ill fortune from hereon in. The little rat is one of those victim mentality scrotes whose own attitude and behaviour causes their problems but who lack the self-awareness and intelligence to realise it. Worse still, when anyone tries to point out the issue they will whinge that they are being "picked on" or "disrespected" and other such indulgent shite.

So, "Stevie", have a terrible year at Stoke, get bombed out of there and become one of football's pariahs, rapidly frittering your way through your fraudulently acquired millions. You word removed.

Borderline retard?

Ah, yes, fair point and I deserved to be called on that. I withdraw that and apologise unreservedly for saying it. I let myself down there by using that phrase.

The utterly worthless word removed has always gone absolute full-retard for all his utterly worthless word removed absolute full-retard life. The word removed. I'm happy to make the correction. Hopefully you can overlook my initial error in accurately describing him and his worthless existence as an employee - I can't possibly say player - of the great AVFC. **** him and the horse with the dyed pink mane and tail he rode in on.

• Like 1

Ireland reminds me of swedish player Thomas Brolin who played for Parma for 5 seasons, and when he hit mid-late twenties his fitness and form more and less collapsed, combined with discplinary issues in england. The difference is, unless I'm mistaken, that Brolin suffered some injuries and didn't have mentality to get himself back into fitness and form.

Here

Stoke midfielder Stephen Ireland admits he is looking to 'stick two fingers up' at several people after ending his Aston Villa hell.

Ireland joined the Potters on a season-long from Villa on transfer deadline day to link up again with former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes.

The 27-year-old found himself out of favour at Villa and frozen out of the first-team picture under Paul Lambert.

Ireland is now looking forward to a fresh start and is determined to prove a point to certain people.

"They had two squads, one they wanted to keep and one they didn't, and I was in the second group," Ireland told the Daily Telegraph.

"I never called it the Bomb Squad, although a couple of the others, like Darren Bent, took it to heart more than I did.

"It was more about self-pride for me. Players were coming up to me saying think of all the days off, you must love it, all the booze and parties.

"It's been a difficult few months but now I've never been so determined to prove a point. There are quite a few people I want to stick two fingers up at."

Stephen Ireland

"But I'm not like that, I'm a family person and I just had to keep myself in good nick. A lot of the players couldn't believe I wasn't playing.

"It's been a difficult few months but now I've never been so determined to prove a point. There are quite a few people I want to stick two fingers up at."

Despite his treatment at Villa, Ireland insists he doesn't hold any grudges against Villa manager Lambert.

"I don't hold any grudges against Paul," added Ireland. "He made it clear why the decision had been made but I understand all the reasons behind it.

"I've said the wrong thing to managers in the past but there was no remorse from me. I expected it when I came back into pre-season and I didn't kick up a fuss."

Edited by momo

His debut, under caretaker manager Kevin McDonald, was in the humiliating 6-0 defeat at Newcastle; his final appearance for the club the second leg of the League Cup semi-final against Bradford City. Villa won 2-1, but ultimately lost the tie on aggregate. Those two outings, veritable low points in the club's recent history, bookend Ireland's spell as a Villa player, a series of appearances punctuated and interrupted regularly by injury, illness, and non-selection. 

These are probably the 2 lowest points at club in recent history and we were OK before and after them. cant be a coincidence they were his debut and final game

Â