Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

Brilliant, but don't watch if you haven't finished Breaking Bad. Someone has matched the song used in the finale, "Felina" (note the anagram) up with a summary of season 5, including the finale. It fits nicely.

Clickings

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24475159

Katzenberg offered to pay $75m for more Breaking Bad

Jeffrey Katzenberg, the CEO of DreamWorks Animation, has revealed he offered to pay $75m (£47m) for three new episodes of Breaking Bad.

He told Mipcom TV festival in Cannes that he wanted to air the hour-long episodes online, in six-minute chunks.

Mr Katzenberg hoped the subscription service would prove the "greatest pay-per-view television event for scripted programming anybody's ever done".

Hit AMC drama Breaking Bad came to a dramatic finale earlier this month.

"There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that millions of people would have downloaded those episodes," said Mr Katzenberg of his attempt to prolong the show's life beyond its five seasons.

Elaborating on the unsuccessful Breaking Bad pitch, Mr Katzenberg toldThe Guardian newspaper: "My idea was literally that you'd pay 50 cents a day for 30 days, so it would be $15, and I actually think there are 10 million people around the world that would have done that.

"That's $150m, so the $75m I was prepared to pay would have delivered a 100% return on investment. And I'm trying to get people to think about this space in a new way by telling that story. It's emblematic of an opportunity coming."

While giving Mipcom's keynote speech, he told TV executives that distributors would continue to pay a premium for high-quality content, whether it lives on traditional television or online.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the DreamWorks chief recently paid $33m (£20.7m) for Brian Robbins' YouTube channel AwesomenessTV, a deal he said is an "enormous opportunity".

Driving viewers

It currently has 909,000 subscribers and 176 million views and it has spawned a successful Nickelodeon series of the same name, utilising the YouTube content.

"It gets us directly in touch with the teen audience in a way that movies and TV can't," said Mr Katzenberg.

He made the point that younger consumers are not only watching more content online, but are far more engaged with content viewed on touch-screen devices than they are with traditional televisions.

Mr Katzenberg said the internet is "a great incubator of talent and concepts" and has the "ability to drive viewers" to television, as it has already been doing with AwesomenessTV.

DreamWorks Animation also has a five-year deal to create 300 hours of original "kid-targeted" content for Netflix.

"Whether the media is old or the media is new, content continues to drive success," said Mr Katzenberg.

He insisted films would remain the "heart and soul" of the DreamWorks Animation brand but it would "look like a very different company" in 15 years time.

I wouldn't have paid but it's a great idea.

i'd have hated that.

the story has finished, just prolonging it so some tv exec can make a quick buck is an awful idea.

its like DelBoy & Rodney specials all over again - which were awful.

I meant as a general idea, not specifically for Breaking Bad as I liked the way it ended.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a dream, it's a story that despite being set in the real world and being gritty is still just a piece of fiction and thus includes some of the main attributes of a well-rounded story, which generally feature acts of Deus Ex Machina and other things which propel the story and the main protaganist forward.

People are just reading far too much into it. Walter White died at the end of the penultimate episode and the finale was all Heisenberg, and Heisenberg does what the f*** he wants ;)

If it was truly a dream or a fantasy of Walts, why wouldn't he dream of a scenario in which he got to live and go back to his family?

I don't disagree with you Ginko, but I think it's a solid theory none the less that should be explored. From when he pops in the tape everything goes pretty much how he would have planned it to go, I think it also makes a lot of sense as I can't understand how he got shot when covering Jesse, he's clearly on the ground when he presses the key. The song is about a man who gets shot in the side going back to save his beloved.

I also don't know how welcoming Skylar would be if he called to the door, she's awaiting trial because of him and if he gave himself up she'd be ok. To just sit there and talk seems a bit unlikely as well

Bullets ricochet. I don't think there's anything particularly fantastical about that. 

Skylar is clearly deeply depressed.

Finally finished this series last night. Was hanging out to come here and join the discussion but didn't want to take the risk of seeing spoilers.

Good thing I waited as one of the greatest attributes of BB was the not knowing what was around the corner.

Which is not a problem I'll ever have with Lost, should I ever decide to watch it, thanks to the spoilers a few pages back ;-)

To be fair the LOST spoilers will save you from probably the worst ending to any TV show

I strongly disagree :-/  The internet outrage over the ending of LOST ends up doing other people out of watching a brilliant show up to that point and even then there are those of us *cough cough* who didn't think the ending was all that bad.

The whole final season of Lost was utterly, utterly awful and smacked of writers who'd lost the plot (pun intended) or just didn't care. But yeah, until that point it was great.

Edited by JB

So it's more about the journey than the destination?

If you can look at it that way.

Lost is just the ultimate cock tease. They keep dangling the carrot. A bit of boob here, a whisper there, then suddenly an invite to the bedroom, they get you stripped off while they get naked and you're there thinking they've gone to so much trouble and set this up so well they can't possibly not go through with it, then they come out of the bathroom with a canvas and some paints and you're the silly one for thinking there was going to be an amazing climax.

However, at the end they realise they may have lead you on a bit and feel a bit guilty so give you some quick hand relief.

My dad phoned me up earlier to tell me that someone purposely told him the ending at work even though he is only half way through the second series, he was not happy at all and now doesn't recon he will bother watching the rest of it

Â