Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

And here's some info about the spin off

Better Call Mike would be much better! We could have Gus back, explore his backstory maybe, and Gale, and Lydia,etc etc. Also, what ever happened to Jesse's little brother? I liked him.

Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan has hinted that spin-off show Better Call Saul isn’t quite panning out how he had hoped.

Gilligan and his co-writer Peter Gould have been hashing out ideas for the show, which will focus on Walter White’s knight in shining armour Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk), but are struggling to come up with a dramatic story line.

‘The thing we realise is tricky… is that Saul Goodman is very comfortable in his own skin. He seems to be a pretty happy-go-lucky guy, and that makes him everything that Walter White is not. And that also makes for tricky drama. When I say drama, even in a comedy, you want drama, you want tension and conflict, and a character that at heart seems at peace with himself is intrinsically undramatic. So we’ve been thinking about how to address that issue.'

And Gilligan is hoping the reappearance of darker Breaking Bad characters could offer an out.

‘The character that springs to mind [to bring back] would be Mike (Jonathan Banks). That would be a great deal of fun,’ he continued. ‘I would say the sky’s the limit, at least theoretically speaking. Realistically speaking, we’ve got a whole lot of actors, and the world is now well aware of their wonderful talents and abilities, and therefore Breaking Bad has probably made it tougher for Peter and I to get some of these folks pinned down for another TV show,’ he added.

Better Call Saul is expected to premiere later this year.

saws

Edited by hogso

Surely you write the show in such a way that Saul doesn't start off 'very comfortable in his own skin'.  You tell the story of how he got that way, or to put it another way, you tell the story of the shit he got up to that made him numb to the criminal world he ended up in.

That way you could tell a great character-based story where he is changing before your eyes into the person we know he'll become in the end.

But yeah, more Mike too.  He's brilliant :)

Just starting he final series now, WW has turned in to a total douche if you ask me. Lying to everyone and threatening everyone. He has basically screwed everything up for all parties involved! Good writing to go from having pity for him to hating on him.

One thing that bugs me is how all of a sudden they are raking in the cash, they have gone from struggling to make ends meet, to losing it all on costs / f**k ups etc. to raking it in.

Just seen on wiki that during the mid 90s Bryan Cranston did a whole bunch of voiceovers (some before and some more recently aswell), including Macross Plus! Might have to give it a rewatch and figure out which one he is.

Yeah Cranston did a lot of voice over work in the 90s so he'll probably have appeared at one stage or another in a lot of the 90s anime you love, ya nerd ;)

Best of all though, he did some voice work in the original series of Power Rangers and the Blue Ranger is called Billy Cranston, named after the man himself.

Edited by Ginko

• 2 weeks later...

I spent my lunch reading this thread.

(I'm not going to spoiler tag anything as most people didn't since it finished, so just a warning for anyone who's reading who hasn't seen it)

Kind of wish I'd watched BB when the rest of you did so I could have talked about it.

But on the other hand some of you guys got really close to how the show panned out so I'm also glad I managed to form my own opinion as I spent most of it truly not knowing what was going to happen.

(Although, my gf spoiled one part for me. She told me Hank found out. Which it was pretty logical would happen anyway so not too bad. Plus I found out before I even started S1E1 that Walt dies at the end. But again I think that was pretty obvious given the cancer.)

Awesome show. Truly awesome.

To contribute to some of the other points in here, I think this slots in at number 2 for me on my favourite shows of all time.

It used to be The Wire at number 1 and Sopranos at number 2, but this has knocked the Sopranos down.

However, I think I'd agree with DDID that season 5 of BB is the best season of TV ever.

My favourite scene was probably Walt's phonecall to Skyler at the end of Ozymandias.

But only because I hadn't really realised he was doing that on purpose, to absolve her of blame. I didn't realise that until Saul complimented him on it in the next episode.

So when he was making that call I was seeing it as a "There Will be Blood" moment. I thought that was his absolute peak, he'd completely descended into evilness. I was absorbed.

I also thought the scene in the final episode where he tells Skyler the truth was extremely poignant. "I did it for me"

Throughout the whole show, Skyler was the only one he couldn't lie to. She always knew he was lying. So that moment, when he's finally totally straight with her was great. And she seemed to be pleased/relieved/forgiving/sympathetic when he finally said that. That bit was very emotional.

Anyway, absolutely fantastic television. I'm truly gutted it's over (for me). I'll be recommending it to everyone.

Edited by Stevo985

Haha I think I've already seen that.

To be fair, up until the end of Season 4 my thoughts were "Yeah this show is brilliant, but the people who have said it's up there with the Wire and the Sopranos are off their rocker"

But it felt as if the first 4 seasons only existed to get to season 5, if that makes sense. Season 5 was magnificent and did put it into that bracket of elite shows, for me anyway.

Saul's spinoff, 'Better Call Saul' will air in the US in November apparently.

WALTER White's lawyer is returning to Albuquerque.

AMC announced this week that the Breaking Bad spinoff, Better Call Saul, will premiere in November 2014, but no specific date has been released.

The series will follow sleazy attorney Saul Goodman, played by Bob Odenkirk, as he defends drug lords, criminals and those allegedly injured in minor traffic accidents.

The network has already created a website for the fiction lawyer, with Saul Goodman's signature videos boasting how he can get anyone out of legal trouble. The website includes "testimonies" from a drug dealer and prostitute who tell potential clients how he got them out of jail.

Breaking Bad, which ended last year and was filmed in Albuquerque, followed former high school teacher Walter White, played by Bryan Cranston. White produced methamphetamine with a former student, Jesse Pinkman, played by Aaron Paul.

Odenkirk played their attorney who came up with money laundering schemes from his Albuquerque shopping mall office.

AMC has given few details on the upcoming spinoff nor have show creators said how much of it would be filmed in Albuquerque.

198954-better-call-saul.jpg

Better call Saul... Bob Odenkirk, who played Saul Goodman in "Breaking Bad", will star in a prequel set to air in November.

But the fictional website shows Breaking Bad characters bragging in video on the streets of Albuquerque about how the convincing lawyer was able to pull them out of jail

For example, one such testimony comes from Badger, a methamphetamine dealer on Breaking Bad played by Matt Jones, who tells viewers that Goodman got him out of legal trouble after undercover officers arrested him for selling drugs - a reference to an episode of Breaking Bad.

"And then, bam! Saul Goodman shows up," Jones says in the video. "He's like, get out of here cop, because of the Constitution."

Within two days, Jones said he was back on the street and "burning one with my homies."

The website also includes fictional advertisements from Breaking Bad businesses like Los Pollos Hermanos, a chicken restaurant used as a front for drug lord Gus Fring, played by Giancarlo Esposito.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started watching it last Monday, finished it today. Possibly the best series I have ever seen. If there is anybody who hasn't already seen it, watch it!!

I'm gonna buy the blu-ray box set and watch it again, you're right mate possibly the best series ever. Up there with The Wire for me.

Â