Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

I see BB scooped the Emmy awards, which surprised no one.

I really can't decide if it was as good as the hype proclaims, or not, because for everything brilliant about it, there are an equal number of things which are just irritating.

A brilliantly pacey pilot and first series, followed by a flabby and slow, over-long second, which seemed to spend whole episodes showing long drawn-out close-ups of Skyler's sulky mug and endless cliff-hangers based on whether Walt is going to tell her the truth.

Gladly it got better after that.

The most memorable aspect is the strength of the characters, even if they seemed to change drastically from one episode to the next, and then back again.

Not quite up there with The Sopranos but amazingly thrilling at times.

I see BB scooped the Emmy awards, which surprised no one.

I really can't decide if it was as good as the hype proclaims, or not, because for everything brilliant about it, there are an equal number of things which are just irritating.

A brilliantly pacey pilot and first series, followed by a flabby and slow, over-long second, which seemed to spend whole episodes showing long drawn-out close-ups of Skyler's sulky mug and endless cliff-hangers based on whether Walt is going to tell her the truth.

Gladly it got better after that.

The most memorable aspect is the strength of the characters, even if they seemed to change drastically from one episode to the next, and then back again.

Not quite up there with The Sopranos but amazingly thrilling at times.

yes, i agree.

S4, 5 & 1 were amazing.

S2 was as boring as hell.

S3 was average.

Brilliant show, i watched it from start to finish all in one go about 2 months ago, although i'd heard people rave about it for years so it wasn't as good as i was expecting probably unrealistically but it is a truly brilliant bit of TV, one of those shows that don't come around too often like The Wire, Sopranos etc.

The bit i found boring was when they are working for gus under that laundry place i forget which season that is but theres a whole bunch of filler episodes in there.

The Fly is terrible.

The amount of wanking over that episode is just absurd. It was like someone's cinematography course work.

Forty-odd minutes of tedious longueurs so Walt can make his supposedly profound speech.

One of the many episodes which nearly made me give up on the series.

(Do I get a special prize for being the first person to use the word longueurs on this forum?  :D )

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

The Fly is terrible.

The amount of wanking over that episode is just absurd. It was like someone's cinematography course work.

Forty-odd minutes of tedious longueurs so Walt can make his supposedly profound speech.

One of the many episodes which nearly made me give up on the series.

(Do I get a special prize for being the first person to use the word longueurs on this forum? :D )

No, but you get a like from me for teaching me a new word.

The fly was only done as they were so over budget and needed an episode.

That makes sense really.

Also, Vince Gilligan on the Fly:

"Even if financial realities didn't enter into it, I feel as a showrunner that there should be a certain shape and pace to each season, and the really high highs that you try to get to at the end of a season — the big dramatic moments of action and violence, the big operatic moments you're striving for — I don't think would land as hard if you didn't have the moments of quiet that came before them. The quiet episodes make the tenser, more dramatic episodes pop even more than they usually would just by their contrast."

So it was made to be boring on purpose, to make the good episodes seem better.

:trollface:

• Like 1

I found breaking bad ok, I would not dream of watching it again, it was a slog and in the middle I actually gave up for a few months. Its not bad, but for me at least it wasnt the great thing everyone said it would be. 

The final 4 episodes in Season 4 are the absolute peak of the show.

Ozymandias is probably the best individual episode, and season 5 as a whole is more consistent than the others.

Fly is an oddity and it is understandable that some really dislike it.

For **** sake

I agree with CED. Completely.

;)

Fly is a brilliant episode that shows you a lot more than it appears to.

Did someone really say season three was boring? Each to their own but I can't get my head around that one.

Best TV show ever and totally deserving of the hype.

Â