Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

I remember when i first watched it, i was thinking to myself, is that Hal from Malcolm in the Middle? Then realised it was, i was so happy haha.

It couldn't believe that Walt and Dr Tim Whatley from Seinfeld were the same actor.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

For pure entertainment, I'm not sure any show comes close, although I enjoyed Firefly more and rewatch it all the time, but that is down to personal preference rather than overall quality.

BB just lacks substance. It doesn't have the ambition or the quality of writing as either The Wire or The Sopranos, but they set a very high standard that I can't see being reached any time soon.

• Like 1

am i the only one who thought it was just ok? like a 6 out of 10?

Why was it "just ok"?

because he didn't watch it properly

he probably had it on the small screen in screen view up in the right hand corner so he didn't miss Bake Off or Strictly, whilst his missus was talking in one ear about wallpaper colours or auntie janice's awkward conversation with the man in the florist

real men of intellect, art and at their sexual peak watched it full screen, alone, and loved it

People who enjoyed Breaking Bad should really take the trouble to also watch The Wire.

Especially the ten guys who are on trial at the moment, for conspiring to build a lab for making crystal meth near Birmingham, who had their cars bugged and were under constant surveillance by the police.

The oldest is 77.

I believe I also said it was just OK.

So I am talking to people here at work, one guy is telling me that he is up to episode three of BB, the other guy, 45, fairly up to date with popular culture, loved The sopranos, The wire, Boardwalk Empire, all of that. He had never even heard of Breaking Bad. I suggested that he had been living under a rock.

I believe I also said it was just OK.

So I am talking to people here at work, one guy is telling me that he is up to episode three of BB, the other guy, 45, fairly up to date with popular culture, loved The sopranos, The wire, Boardwalk Empire, all of that. He had never even heard of Breaking Bad. I suggested that he had been living under a rock.

The arguments still persists over whether BB is better than The Wire.

I tend to think that BB is probably rather better because the ending was so much more satisfying than The Wire.

The Wire was divided into several narratives. The really interesting was the gangland stuff, whether amongst the blacks or the polaks. I think the series faded badly after the death of Stringer Bell. The school thing was too didactic. The political narrative was boring and was only made watchable by adding in the gangland violence. The newspaper stuff was unconvincing. I didn't like the end because they weren't brave enough to just let the bad guys profit from their corruption, they had to hand out little sops of consolation for the losers and victims, to comfort the audience.  

BB ended in the most satisfying way possible and which tidied up the different threads of the narrative completely.

So yeah, I would put BB ahead of The Wire but neither were as good as the Sopranos, IMHO.

• Like 1

Couldn't disagree more about the school in the Wire. That was the best season, and the final episode of Season 4 was the greatest episode of TV ever. It's perfect.

Ozymandias came close, imo.

For me it's

1. The Wire

2. BB

3. Sopranos

But those 3 shows would be well ahead of anything else. They're the elite.

Couldn't disagree more about the school in the Wire. That was the best season, and the final episode of Season 4 was the greatest episode of TV ever. It's perfect.

For me it's

1. The Wire

2. BB

3. Sopranos

I very much expect that time will tend to erase most of what I dislike about The Wire and I will be left just remembering the bits I really liked.

The thing which will stay with me is the fantastic writing with which they created so many great characters.

The daring with which they portrayed the various ethnic groups was astounding and it is impossible to imagine any TV programme made in this country, daring to be so negative about blacks, women and Jewish lawyers.

I can't even imagine them being allowed to use the 'N' word.    :)

For me it's

1. The Wire

2. BB

3. Sopranos

I agree with all of this, totally and completely. 

Re-watching the whole series, currently on season 2 episode 4. As much as I know about what Walt becomes and I can see now that Skylar was the only one all along that could see he was lying. I still think she's a massive dick.

Re-watching the whole series, currently on season 2 episode 4. As much as I know about what Walt becomes and I can see now that Skylar was the only one all along that could see he was lying. I still think she's a massive dick.

There's a big moment when Walt returns and talks to skyler.

She was the only one who could tell he was lying. Everyone bought it apart from her.

Then in that moment he finally tells her the truth. You can tell his relief and her forgiveness. It's the first time she really seems to forgive him for any of it.

I think the thing that bothered her the most the whole time were the liars.

Â