Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

Walt didn't get what he wanted in the end, Jessie's forgiving him, he wanted to die at Jessie's hands, Jessie didn't fall for it for the first and last time.

Great series though. The episodes at the end of series 4 were my favourite parts, the cartel having a poolside drink and then ding ding ding..........classic two episodes that stand alongside The Pine Fields, IMO.  

Edited by tinker

Sorry for the appalling quality, but I love this "seen" from a time when Walt was first becoming intoxicated with the apparent power gained from "breaking bad"; from casting aside his grey, boring, conformist existence and becoming "the one who knocks". I say apparent power because I think this scene shows Heisenberg in microcosm: he is all front, if anyone could see past the projection of strength and take their shot, like when Mike put him on his arse, he would go down. Despite the bravado, he is still fundamentally weak and vulnerable. The legend of Heisenberg is far more powerful than the man who inhabits the role.

That fantasy thing makes a lot of sense, one thing I'd argue is that he talks about how close to death he was but he's just walked 8 miles in the cold to that one horse town. Then his batteries got a jump when seeing with Elliott & Gretch on Charlie Rose. I feel like I've just been told Santa Claus isn't real :/ 

Then there's the fact that the song would be playing constantly during his fantasy and is about a man going back to save his beloved, being of course his Blue Meth from the Nazis and getting shot in the side and dying in the process. 

It wasn't a dream, it's a story that despite being set in the real world and being gritty is still just a piece of fiction and thus includes some of the main attributes of a well-rounded story, which generally feature acts of Deus Ex Machina and other things which propel the story and the main protaganist forward.

People are just reading far too much into it. Walter White died at the end of the penultimate episode and the finale was all Heisenberg, and Heisenberg does what the f*** he wants ;)

If it was truly a dream or a fantasy of Walts, why wouldn't he dream of a scenario in which he got to live and go back to his family?

Edited by Ginko

It wasn't a dream, it's a story that despite being set in the real world and being gritty is still just a piece of fiction and thus includes some of the main attributes of a well-rounded story, which generally feature acts of Deus Ex Machina and other things which propel the story and the main protaganist forward.

People are just reading far too much into it. Walter White died at the end of the penultimate episode and the finale was all Heisenberg, and Heisenberg does what the f*** he wants ;)

If it was truly a dream or a fantasy of Walts, why wouldn't he dream of a scenario in which he got to live and go back to his family?

I don't disagree with you Ginko, but I think it's a solid theory none the less that should be explored. From when he pops in the tape everything goes pretty much how he would have planned it to go, I think it also makes a lot of sense as I can't understand how he got shot when covering Jesse, he's clearly on the ground when he presses the key. The song is about a man who gets shot in the side going back to save his beloved.

I also don't know how welcoming Skylar would be if he called to the door, she's awaiting trial because of him and if he gave himself up she'd be ok. To just sit there and talk seems a bit unlikely as well

Edited by Folski

I just think some people love Breaking Bad so much and weren't satisfied with the ending because it all went too smoothly, so they're coming up with these theories to justify why BB ended the way it did so they don't have to admit they weren't happy with it.

Yeah I have heard everyone going on about how it was a dream/fantasy and I can't see it, I think that sometimes people dig as deep as possible to try and find hidden meanings that aren't there and end up over complicating it.

Having said that I have just listened to wonderwall 666 times backwards, did you know that upon hearing the song in reverse for the 666th time you realise you can't hear anything but a mancunian scally singing backwards.

I'll just accept and enjoy what I saw and not over analyse it

• Like 1

You can't please everyone, and yeah it was a bit of a nice ending.

If it was realistic you know Skyler would be going down, and Jesse's prints would be all over the Nazis hideout, so he would be arrested too. Saul would be caught quite quickly without a lot of plastic surgery.

All three of those things could still feasibly happen (maybe less so with Skyler) in the hypothetical future for these characters after the final episode, if you want to think about that sort of thing, but you'll never know.

I think another major factor in things going so smoothly for Walt is that for the first time he's acting 100% transparently. When ever he was doing these things before there was always something that went wrong like the perfect heist that ended up with a young kid dead. Walt is finally at the stage where he realises that this was all for him, he doesn't have to lie, think about Skylar wondering where he is etc, he's free from all of that and therefore his genius can take over as it's not being distracted. I also think it's a kind of a mirror image of Ozymandias where Walt is solely acting on emotion and thus everything goes wrong for him he loses his money, family, Hank, his life in general, where as in Felina, I think he's void of emotion. He manages to get his money to his family, gets to see his family without that look of terror in their eyes, let's Hanks body be found, & of course loses his actual life as opposed to the one he had built for himself.

I think that sometimes people dig as deep as possible to try and find hidden meanings that aren't there and end up over complicating it. 

This. It's a TV show not a f^&king 6 sided rubik's cube. Of course it was going to end the way it did, they were hardly going to have Walt die of cancer in his little hut and Jesse be a slave for the rest of his days. (*Although that would have been a great ending)

The Wire is bigger, has a much more vast scope and by consequence is much better written because it needs to be for it to all hang together. But BB is a lot more fun and a lot more consistently engrossing, and sometimes that's all you want. The only way they compare is that they're 2 of the best TV shows of all time but in reality they are very very different in many ways if not all of them.

Another show that is bigger and extremely well written (almost to the point of insane detail) is Mad Men but I just couldn't get into it. So attention to detail and being well written isn't always enough.

Yeah it's hard to compare great TV shows that you thoroughly enjoyed. I'd have Breaking Bad up there with BSG and The Wire as the best shows ever.

But I think the popularity of these shows has allowed the creators more freedom with the script and when it ends.

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned how Walt effectively made a deal with God at the start of the last episode and then went on to kill all the evil he had given power to, saved Jesse gave location of Hanks body and paid for his sins with his own demise.

Yeah I have heard everyone going on about how it was a dream/fantasy and I can't see it, I think that sometimes people dig as deep as possible to try and find hidden meanings that aren't there and end up over complicating it.

This is absolutely true and comes from fans who don't want to let a show end so keep rewatching and trying to come up with deeper completely pointless abstract meanings.

The "dream" is of course the most common place to turn for these types. Despite any actual dream ending to a show is a complete cop out and would elicit derision.

Still people love to come up with the dream scenario. Or they were dead all along.

Yes that was a double Diss to the garbage that was Lost.

• Like 1

Â