Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

Was just thinking about it there, do you think maybe they showed us the M60 machine-gun too early. And then we all had time to do too much thinking about it?

I know that's one of the great aspects of the showed but thought the final episode might have had more of a 'Breaking Bad' type impact if we only saw him getting the gun in the last episode.

any thoughts?

Was just thinking about it there, do you think maybe they showed us the M60 machine-gun too early. And then we all had time to do too much thinking about it?

I know that's one of the great aspects of the showed but thought the final episode might have had more of a 'Breaking Bad' type impact if we only saw him getting the gun in the last episode.

any thoughts?

That's a fair point yeah. If our initial viewing of the exchange in the diner happened and he went out and we only saw him looking into the boot (trunk, whatever) rather than also seeing what he saw.

It's a little bit of a Hollywood ending, which for a show which has gone to such dark places you might not expect, but it still worked. We all thought Heisenberg was gone, but he came back to finish what he started. If he had failed and it was all for nothing it wouldn't have been very satisfying I don't think. Heisenberg doesn't let anything get in his way, and this season he'd faltered and hit rock bottom until he heard Gretchen say that Walter White was dead and he realised the truth of that. The finale was pure Heisenberg and I'm glad he came back one last time to tie up all his loose ends.

I'm glad he went out on his own terms and to me it's the exact opposite of a Hollywood ending. In Hollywood the bad guy gets caught and justice is seen to be done. Walt effectively 'won' by doing everything he wanted and resolving everything his own way. He even 'wanted' to die at the end. "I want this!!". But Jesse said 'then do it yourself'. I think that's what Gilligan meant when he said he wanted it to end the way he wanted.

He was always going to go out on his own terms. After Season 4 you knew he was a mastermind villain and the inevitability of Hank going out and Walt surviving just hammered it home. The reason you saw the machine gun scenes and the ricin scenes were so you know he will be there at the end of it all. 

He was always going to save Jesse, in the end he chose to save him when he saw what he'd done to him. The one last attempt at redemption. 

Did he definitely die at the end? Everyone saying he went out on own terms, but no proof that he's RIP.

Cops didn't check for a pulse so how could any one be so sure he was dead?

But I guess a deflected round from an M60 is worse than what Tim Roth had to endure in 'Reservoir Dogs'

Watched the last episode last night. Really enjoyed it and had called it a long way back so am happy I got the resolution I wanted. We all wanted I'd say.

Not me,

I wanted Jesse to die, it would have been cool if Walt shot him in the back as he was getting in the car to escape.

Edited by villa89

I was a little surprised/disappointed at the lack of surprises but at the same time, if anything had been a surprise it wouldn't have ended in the way I personally wanted it to and it wouldn't have been so immensely satisfying. I also thought that it needed a lot more Jesse!

On the whole it was pretty much flawless and I found it a genuinely emotional episode. I'm absolutely gutted it's finished!

Good bye to far and away the best TV show I've ever seen. I can't imagine how anything will ever compare.

BTW, the final shot, although calling back to 'Crawl Space', was totally 'Taxi Driver'.

Exactly what I said to the wife as we watched that last bit. Still, if you're gonna plagiarise...

Edited by Designer1

Yeah he's definitely dead. If it wasn't clear enough from the final shot and just generally the whole tone of him walking around the meth lab (and the fact that in the reflection of the metal drum you see that he doesn't just take his bloody hand away from it, he falls), the episode of Talking Bad afterwards confirms he's dead.

Whilst none of us knew exactly how it would end, the lack of shock surprises made it more realistic for me. Too many surprises just make me think 'that just wouldn't happen'. I'm glad they didn't cheapen Br Ba the way too many TV series have been at their closure.

The final episode contrasted Heisenburg's total control and Walt's lack of it. He was powerful enough to create extreme wealth and destroy master criminals, yet lost his family and, ultimately, battle with life. Series 1 to 5 in one episode; well done Vince.

BTW, the final shot, although calling back to 'Crawl Space', was totally 'Taxi Driver'.

Exactly what I said to the wife as we watched that last bit. Still, if you're gonna plagiarise...

Homage. ;) 

• Like 1

Brilliant brilliant finish. Take that Todd you shit.

I'll just upset everyone here by saying I thought Dexter series 1-4 were just as good as 1-4 Breaking Bad, but Dexter totally lost its way and died a hideous weak death. BBad paced itself, got a decent plan of action in place and finished it brilliantly inside effectively 6 runs of episodes.

Dexter series 4 remains the best series of anything I've ever seen. I know there are some people out there like me, don't hide, reveal yourselves!

I can't imagine how anything will ever compare.

The wire is vastly superior IMO. Breaking bad had alot of low points in series 1-4 for me. The 5th series was by far and away the best series of it by a distance (which helps the myth that its the greatest TV show ever and has revolutionised TV), the opposite is true for the wire. 

The Wire is bigger, has a much more vast scope and by consequence is much better written because it needs to be for it to all hang together. But BB is a lot more fun and a lot more consistently engrossing, and sometimes that's all you want. The only way they compare is that they're 2 of the best TV shows of all time but in reality they are very very different in many ways if not all of them.

Another show that is bigger and extremely well written (almost to the point of insane detail) is Mad Men but I just couldn't get into it. So attention to detail and being well written isn't always enough.

Â