Breaking Bad (may contain SPOILERS)

Ginko

One of the most amazing things about BB is how small the American audiences were.

The first series peaked at 1.5 million viewers for the final episode and after enjoying 1.6 million for the opening episode of series 2 fell back to just over a million.

Numbers started to increase slightly during series 3 but still fell back, for Fly and Half Measures.

Viewing figures didn't really start to build until series 5, especially in the second part of the series (the final) when they doubled as they built towards the finale.

10.28 million watched the finale.

This is an amazingly small audience.

One of the most amazing things about BB is how small the American audiences were.

The first series peaked at 1.5 million viewers for the final episode and after enjoying 1.6 million for the opening episode of series 2 fell back to just over a million.

Numbers started to increase slightly during series 3 but still fell back, for Fly and Half Measures.

Viewing figures didn't really start to build until series 5, especially in the second part of the series (the final) when they doubled as they built towards the finale.

Happens a lot though doesn't it.

You can say the same about the Wire (the one show that remains better than BB, imo)

Even in season 5 of the Wire they were "only" getting 5 million viewers an episode. And I'm sure I read when it was first shown in the UK only something like 50,000 people watched the final episode (although it was on FX which probably didn't help)

Quality doesn't always mean high viewers.

Happens a lot though doesn't it.

You can say the same about the Wire (the one show that remains better than BB, imo)

Even in season 5 of the Wire they were "only" getting 5 million viewers an episode. And I'm sure I read when it was first shown in the UK only something like 50,000 people watched the final episode (although it was on FX which probably didn't help)

Quality doesn't always mean high viewers.

As I always say, if popular taste is an indication of democracy at work, it doesn't say much for democracy.

• Like 1

It suddenly burst into life in the last year or so.  There was as many Facebook updates relating to BB as there are about the Ice Bucket Challenge at the mo.

I started to watch it when it was between season 3 and 4 and nobody seemed to have heard about it.  I think it may have been on the back of a recommendation from The_Rev on here iirc.

It suddenly burst into life in the last year or so.  There was as many Facebook updates relating to BB as there are about the Ice Bucket Challenge at the mo.

I started to watch it when it was between season 3 and 4 and nobody seemed to have heard about it.  I think it may have been on the back of a recommendation from The_Rev on here iirc.

I think most people picked up on the rave reviews it was getting and came to it late.

My view would be that it will earn a lot more from syndication and DVDs than from the original TV run.

Judging by the cheapness of the knock-off t-shirts and aprons ('Let's Cook') on Ebay, they haven't got round to franchising the image-rights just yet.

I think most people picked up on the rave reviews it was getting and came to it late.

My view would be that it will earn a lot more from syndication and DVDs than from the original TV run.

Judging by the cheapness of the knock-off t-shirts and aprons ('Let's Cook') on Ebay, they haven't got round to franchising the image-rights just yet.

I'd say you're spot on.

I had heard of it but knew nothing about it until it had more or less finished in the States. I didn't even know Bryan Cranston was in it, and I was a big fan of his before BB anyway (that sounds like a hipster post, didn't mean it to be!)

The Wire really isn't suited to watching once a week for a single season over 5 years. It's basically five separate 13 (or so) hour films. Very few of the episodes make sense in isolation.

The same could be said (to a lesser extent) (sorry donnie) of Breaking Bad in the early days.

That's probably why audience figures were low - even when the Wire was shown in the UK.

Edited by RunRickyRun

The Wire really isn't suited to watching once a week for a single season over 5 years. It's basically five separate 13 (or so) hour films. Very few of the episodes make sense in isolation.

The same could be said (to a lesser extent) (sorry donnie) of Breaking Bad in the early days.

That's probably why audience figures were low - even when the Wire was shown in the UK.

The wire is amazing and you will end up watching it back to back.

I think audiences were low because BBC 2 had it and there was no advertising or promotion. I found about it after it had finished on TV.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Actually I think when BBC2 had it the audiences weren't too bad ( I seem to remember an article saying they were pushing a million)

But it's original run here wa son FX, like I mentioned, and hardly anyone watched it.

Walt's nest egg..

breaking_stack_isometric.jpg

The pile probably needs to be twice as high as this because they are not all $100 bills.

And even if Heisenberg's stash is $80m he still can't afford to buy Di Maria, who cost $99m.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Just noticed that the Actress who played Kima is 50. When I watched The Wire I thought she was in her mid twenites or something. Prez is only two years younger as well.

Edited by useless

Just noticed that the Actress who played Kima is 50. When I watched The Wire I thought she was in her mid twenites or something. Prez is only two years younger as well.

I am attempting to watch the first series of The Wire, after giving up before.

Some great dialogue but I am irritated by the clichéd structure of the plot and your standard cop drama characters.

Finding it a bit tough going but I am determined to hang in there.

Please tell me it gets better. :unsure:

Some great dialogue but I am irritated by the clichéd structure of the plot and your standard cop drama characters.

i finished S1, then tried twice to get into S2 but just couldn't so gave up.

i finished S1, then tried twice to get into S2 but just couldn't so gave up.

Having sat through a decade of Law and Order, my taste for cop dramas is somewhat jaded and I tend to notice how they influence each other.

So Kima obviously plays the lone kick-ass woman, but instead of having her divorced like Anita Van Buren (L&O), they make her a lesbian.

Similarly, Breaking Bad unapologetically hire a Michael Chiklis look-alike (The Shield) to play Hank Schrader (Dean Norris). 

Anyone see a similarity between Gus Fring and Brother Mouzone (The Wire)?

Edited by MakemineVanilla

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got to the end. You were right, most impressive. As to the last episode...

I was slightly disappointed by the MASSIVELY implausible method of dealing with the bad guys. Deus ex machinegun. Otherwise OK, but not the best episode.

• Like 1

Â