General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

I've got to say, I'm much more interested in this season being about getting a new style of play ready and weeding out the players with shitty attitudes than having unrealistic illusions of us signing everyone we need immediately. These things take time.

ZnqQ5.gif

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take NRC back in a "heartbeat" to coin a VT phrase

Anyway after today we will have just 96 hours left to get some players in and out

You have to keep in mind Saturday is Matchday and Sunday / Monday are days off so after today the phones will be dead til Tuesday am.

No, we have a week.

Reality is no, see above.

I'd see NRC as a step backwards. I was encouraged by our passing game for the first 30 minutes against West Ham (yes, we didn't carve enough chances). Nigel would not complement this.

I kinda agree with your ifs !

If we sign a couple more players

If our academy kids come good

Then yes I agree we would have a pretty good season - 10th or above. I am getting more doubtful by the day of significant additions to the squad

..and in the last 5 years only gabby has come through the academy to hold a regular place in the squad - throw in Cahill who has done it elsewhere.....

But yes if Baker, Bannan, Gardner, Clark,Weiman, Carruthers, Herd, Lichaj - all perform consistently at premier level this season then I will be happy .............(and surprised)

I don't have much doubt about Clark, Lichaj, Bannan, Baker and Herd at this point - I think what we've seen of them shows that they are good enough to be in the squad. That leaves the uncertains - Gardner, Weimann, Carruthers; the latter 2 showing signs of being able to cope with Gardner (IMO) not really showing anything yet.

Even if we don't sign anyone else and the uncertains can't cut it, I don't think we'll do worse than about 15th - and considering that there has been wholesale change going on, in pretty much every area - that'd do.

Mate I'd snap your hand off for a garentee of finishing 15th right now.

If things don't go to plan there is a very real chance that we could really struggle and be back in a relegation fight for the 3rd year in a row. The squad is that thin.

I have to respectfully disagree here. If we don't bring in anyone else and the young guns don't have an impact - I think we are in dire straights.

In particular we need Clark to perform at CB - as we don't have any options (other than Dunne) should he fall short. I feel our defence could get very leaky.

But they are just 'ifs' as were mine, as is 'what if everyone spontaneously combusts?'- we'll probably fall somewhere in the middle.

I'd take NRC back in a "heartbeat" to coin a VT phrase

Anyway after today we will have just 96 hours left to get some players in and out

You have to keep in mind Saturday is Matchday and Sunday / Monday are days off so after today the phones will be dead til Tuesday am.

No, we have a week.

Reality is no, see above.

No, the reality is we have a week. Just because games are being played it doesnt mean Faulkner can't pick up a phone, does it?

I wouldn't expect people to have Monday off either, not when deals worth millions of pound are in the balance. No chance.

If things don't go to plan there is a very real chance that we could really struggle and be back in a relegation fight for the 3rd year in a row. The squad is that thin.

Agree with that, things dont look good.

I have to respectfully disagree here. If we don't bring in anyone else and the young guns don't have an impact - I think we are in dire straights.

In particular we need Clark to perform at CB - as we don't have any options (other than Dunne) should he fall short. I feel our defence could get very leaky.

But they are just 'ifs' as were mine, as is 'what if everyone spontaneously combusts?'- we'll probably fall somewhere in the middle.

With respect - (and without resorting to quotes !) - your statement was that if we don't add to the squad - and the kids don't perform - we would still finish no lower than 15th

I would have to disagree with that.

Agree with Smetrov..I've been saying this for a while...they are just not good enough..I'm yet to see anything that really stands out that makes me think these plyers are going to be any good...in an ideal world I would love to see them all make it and perform to highest standard but two years on now third year that comes a point when we just have to realise we can not rely on these players....IMO too many people like to say they are better than they actuially are purely because they are one of ours.....Would they get the same 'hype' if they played at another club....would they even be at another club in the prem?????? No other team has come for them, even when they went out on loan to the championship most, if not all came back sooner rather than later without setting the world on fire.

The club really needs to put its money on the table and get in some good, technical players in and add one or two in, your albrighton's bannan's et al as you cant take a player from what effectively is a boys league in the reserves and ask them to perform against the big boys...simply wont happen...with some good purchases these players will develope (hopefully) in to better players as at the moment who can really show them the way.

If our transfer window is effectively closed already as some make out and this the squad for 2012 2013 then I think it could be another tough year, not as bad as last but at the same time no where near as good as some believe is expected.

UTV

1) Who would you say is 'poor'? And how do they figure in the first team and subs at the moment?

2) Bannan is a good player.

3) Did you really expect this year to be easy given all the factors?

1 - didnt really say they were poor, just not good enough for where we would like to be in the prem, the only one so far that I would say has potential is Clark, all the others simply dont have the qualities needed.

2. Bannan a good player....no...back to you...based on what... a few passes...hollywood balls as someone else said....how many goals...how many assists...stand out perfomances....cant think of any...again if he played for someone else would you say ah yes bannan at villa good player...probably not.

3. No I didnt expect it to be an easy year, based on the previous two I thought my expectations would be the same as the board....do we need to improve...yes...do we need to bring in 4,5,6 good quality players..yes...do we need to get rid of some of the deadwood...yes (though some have gone I suppose)....do we need to give the manager a good amount of money to do this...yes (not MON standards but you would have thought 15 - 20 mil)...can we expect the team to do well based on its current situation minus some of the deadwood gone (this is where we are now)....no

The team needs players not just in numbers but in quality I really do hope the board backs PL as if they do I think he will do well for Villa...probably not the correct saying but hopefully you get what I mean "it doesnt matter how much you polish a turd at the end of the day its still a turd" we havent got a good enough squad to lift us up the league, take away the 'polish' that ids a new manager, new season, mctwat gone and what you left with...the same squad.

I'll still be there tomorrow and hope for a good vibe and performance at VP....at the same time I cant help be not very optimistic at the season ahead.

NRC FFS it's worse than the Milner coming back obsession, at least Milner is a good player

He left us after offers from Milan and god knows where else in the world only to join Bolton, get relegated, leave in may, nearly 3 months ago, and still hasn't got a contract anywhere

That's either because he's shit or he's greedy, I think he's both

With respect - (and without resorting to quotes !) - your statement was that if we don't add to the squad - and the kids don't perform - we would still finish no lower than 15th

I would have to disagree with that.

In fairness I said the 'uncertains', who I listed - not all of the kids.

If we are going to just generalise and talk about all in - I think worst case scenario is 15th in the league.

There is no way agents and clubs will not be working on deals Sunday and Monday so there is still SEVEN days = 1 WEEK left

my local team bristol city brought out a new signing at half time on tues eve who'd be signed about 30 minutes earlier - i reckon it will be going on from 5pm sat night till 11.59pm next friday. its a feeding frenzy now.

and re the players my mate represents, he keeps his cards close to chest but he said one is a prem league striker that he's got out to clubs and we said no to - he wont say who but said plays for a top 8 club. he deals with all sorts, he's got a couple of full backs from chamopionship apparently which is why i think he was VP yesterday and a couple of goalies. hope to see him tonight.