General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Just seen the article about Reo-Coker on SSN website. I think he would be a steady free signing, still only 28. There are a lot of experienced Prem players out of contract, so you never know we might pick a few up, and there is no deadline for them.

Clutching at straws...yes I am.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what you lot were expecting - this was yet another transitional year when we sacked McLeish and brought in a new manager with a completely new and much better footballing philosophy. This will take time, if you can't accept that then you probably shouldn't be supporting a football club.

EDIT - Not expressly directed at you, VillaRoy.

Although I rate Lambert - he can't turn poor players into good ones. and he won't be able to bring enough players of note in - unless he is provided with a decent amount of funds.

A net spend of £7m is even lower than i predicted. I find it hard to beleive he is sitting on a decent warchest - than can't be spent until we sell Warnock.

In defence, midfield and attack - we are relying on academy products to cut the mustard in the prem - the evidence that they can do this has bennat best spasmodic. Indeed the influx of academy players into the first 11 in the last 2 seasons has coincided with a slide down the table. - The fact we are starting the season in such a state doesn't bode well .......no matter who the manager is.

I'd definitely take NRC back on a free - we need someone who can hassle the opposition from midfield.

We are not that desperate. I wouldn't even want him if he offer to play for free. We are looking to keep the ball better, NRC is certainly not the player for that.

Although I rate Lambert - he can't turn poor players into good ones. and he won't be able to bring enough players of note in - unless he is provided with a decent amount of funds.

A net spend of £7m is even lower than i predicted. I find it hard to beleive he is sitting on a decent warchest - than can't be spent until we sell Warnock.

In defence, midfield and attack - we are relying on academy products to cut the mustard in the prem - the evidence that they can do this has bennat best spasmodic. Indeed the influx of academy players into the first 11 in the last 2 seasons has coincided with a slide down the table. - The fact we are starting the season in such a state doesn't bode well .......no matter who the manager is.

Nobody can magically turn poor players into good ones but what Lambert is good at, and what I think he picked up from MON, is the ability to motivate and get the best out of his players - all you have to do is look at Norwich for that. Our academy products are actually pretty good and will be an asset for us - it's obvious that we could do with signing a couple more players but I think we will.

I had hoped that the poster/rumour of 8m to spend was BS

8m plus whatever can be raised from sales was probably the only 'close to' correct ITK info posted on here all summer. We've not even seen that yet of course!

Who posted it ? He deserves a pat on the back

Isn't that the same 'ITK' that linked us to a player that had already signed for another club?

I'd definitely take NRC back on a free - we need someone who can hassle the opposition from midfield.

We are not that desperate. I wouldn't even want him if he offer to play for free. We are looking to keep the ball better, NRC is certainly not the player for that.

NRC hasn't really played in a team like ours before - he can do short sideways passing and he'll be surrounded by players who take the ball off him. His strength lies in his ability to limit the opposition and break up what they're trying to do - he's not perfect but we only have Herd who can do that and he is still relatively inexperienced. Anyone remember when NRC took Cristiano Ronaldo out of the game when we played Man U at VP a few years back? He started RB but basically man-marked him the whole game and gave him nothing, Cronaldo sulked off as he was getting subbed, milking the boos from the crowd.

Sign up Reo Coker, put him next to El Ahmadi, push Stephen Ireland closer to Bent. We'd look more solid in midfield like that.

In theory NRC could be a good anchor man for a team but he just doesn't accept his limitations and he can't keep things simple. If he could just win the ball and then pass it to literally the next man available he would be a reasonable player.

The thing is he can't do that. Either he goes on a stupid run to nowhere or he loses the ball with a poor pass. Stay away please. Far better players available who can do a much, much better job.

I had hoped that the poster/rumour of 8m to spend was BS

8m plus whatever can be raised from sales was probably the only 'close to' correct ITK info posted on here all summer. We've not even seen that yet of course!

Who posted it ? He deserves a pat on the back

Isn't that the same 'ITK' that linked us to a player that had already signed for another club?

I said we would have £8m plus 50% of sales revenue.

I got slated

We've got one week to make some serious repairs to our broken squad. I feel very let down at this point by the disparity between the rhetoric when Lambert was appointed and the inaction of the club in backing him. I wonder how much longer they are going to keep pedaling the 'vibrant new era' line...

I've been one of the 'Happy Clappy' Villa fans for a while now and i was under the opinion that Villa would spend this summer but i have to admit i'm becoming disillusioned by the board.

People have said that the early signings were just to increase season ticket sales and I honestly sat reading these comments thinking how stupid the people saying those things must really be, but maybe they were right!

Villa fans are fickle and should we spend £20 mil in the next 7 days i'll probably be back to singing Lerners praises but at the moment i am one very unhappy and disappointed Villa fan :evil:

However, every time they dangle that carrot of 'next time will be different, lessons have been learnt' less and less people will fall for it. Last year it was 'Imagine what McLeish will be like if backed'. This year is 'lessons have been learnt and Paul will be backed to have the squad he wants'.

Aston Villa are fast giving up on the 'football club' bit.

this does seem how it is unde rlener and faulkner. they told us wage sout of control, now we got rid of the likes of beye, l young, heskey, carlos, collins, carew all high earners off the wage bill

so now what rubbish are they trying to feed us that its a new start under a new manager. thats the angle this season then they will come up with another next year