General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

problem is if we have a buy to sell mentality, by excluding warnock and hgutton from squads doesnt exactly make potential suitors think they are much cop. at least if they were in te squad and being involved, should we be left with them next week at least they know what the craic is and are ready to play if needs be. i think its bad man management to exclude two senior players from the first team squad for the sake of it when we are woefully short of players of any nature. of we cant flog them do we think they'll suddenly want to give 110% for PL if he asks. i would, but im a villa fan, this is their job and if my boss made it clear he didnt want me there, when he needed me i might do the same back to him!

Thing is with players like Hutton and Warnock there's an emphasis on the player to buy into any proposed move. Club's will be interested in these players, and if we're desperate to get rid they'll probably be available tto them at an attractive price. But the stumbling block is more than likely their wages.

Now the question is will these players accept a drop in pay to play somewhere else? Lambert clearly thinks that by stating in as clear a way as possible they're not getting anywhere near our first team that will force them to reconsider their position and be more willing to move on. Of course as we have seen with Beye for example some players are happy to get paid for doing nothing more than turning up to training.

Without knowing either player personally it's impossible to tell what they're going to do, but their options seem clear. All we can do is hope they're bothered about actually playing and are thereofre participating in negotiations in good faith.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He says 'it's well documented what kind of players I'm going for' but is that true? I must have missed that because I have no idea what kind of player he wants, unless he just means ones from Holland.

He said at the forum 'Young, enthusiastic and hungry to play for the club'

Won't be easy finding any young, enthusiatic players who'll be hungry to play for a club that by all evidence lacks ambition...

I see what you did there...

Will Lerner spend now on players or wait till January when were panic buying due to us being so close to the relegation zone

Does he really want to spend another 18 - 25 mill on a striker again to get us out the mess he puts us in

Its quite ironic when people are saying we will not pay over the odds if anything and we leave it till january players will be even more expensive

Agree like Carroll, if he can't get a move to a top 4 he'll want to go where he's comfortable! However a question i would ask what will happen to McLean unless he plans playing Johnson RW!

Couldn't give a solitary **** about their players and how they fit in should Johnson sign for them.

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews

Sky Sources: Sunderland in talks with Manchester City winger Adam Johnson. #SSN

If Sunderland are in for him, and he wants a move from Citeh, that's where he'll end up in my opinion. He's a local lad, and they're his boyhood club.

Funnily enough he's actually a Newcastle supporter. Been confirmed by a few Sunderland Journos up here.

If Sunderland are in for him, and he wants a move from Citeh, that's where he'll end up in my opinion. He's a local lad, and they're his boyhood club.

Oh that's it Martin, lumber us with dross like Warnock and sign Adam Johnson for Sunderland.

problem is if we have a buy to sell mentality, by excluding warnock and hgutton from squads doesnt exactly make potential suitors think they are much cop. at least if they were in te squad and being involved, should we be left with them next week at least they know what the craic is and are ready to play if needs be. i think its bad man management to exclude two senior players from the first team squad for the sake of it when we are woefully short of players of any nature. of we cant flog them do we think they'll suddenly want to give 110% for PL if he asks. i would, but im a villa fan, this is their job and if my boss made it clear he didnt want me there, when he needed me i might do the same back to him!

So what did your agent pal tell you about yesterdays meeting?

Is it me, or do the fans see the danger of situations in regards to our team a lot quicker than the board does? Last 2 seasons being a prime example and the worrying thing is, we need a few more players bad. Squad is so damn light and the quality is few and far between. Seems to be a lot of reliance on the "kids coming good." I mean, we didn't even create 1 good chance vs West fcukin Ham. West Ham, who were shite at home in the championship and only started 1 new signing I think (Diame). I hope I'm just over-reacting and that by September 1st we a have a few more decent players in the squad.

Is it me, or do the fans see the danger of situations in regards to our team a lot quicker than the board does? Last 2 seasons being a prime example and the worrying thing is, we need a few more players bad. Squad is so damn light and the quality is few and far between. Seems to be a lot of reliance on the "kids coming good." I mean, we didn't even create 1 good chance vs West fcukin Ham. West Ham, who were shite at home in the championship and only started 1 new signing I think (Diame). I hope I'm just over-reacting and that by September 1st we a have a few more decent players in the squad.

If you want to turn that around you can say that West Ham had a settled side, on a high from getting promoted and being back in the Premier League and were playing at home in front of a very vocal crowd. We on the other hand are on our 3rd manager in 3 seasons with an entirely different back 4 and other new players, plus a couple of injuries. I thought we'd lose before we played them and if you want to show any patience, you have to accept that there will be hiccups along the way.

I had hoped that the poster/rumour of 8m to spend was BS but after what we have seen happen over the summer thus far and now PL latest interview I think that they might have been spot on.

The only negative Lambert missed out was "cheap" like all 4 new signings, I'm not complaining about them nor about the good value Villa seem to have had with them but it's appearing more and more like the main criteria is cost.

Another season of struggling awaits us, oh well I'll take the positives. A manager that I like, no Collins hoofballs, Warnock and Hutton out of the squad, Heskey gone, A CH who looks like he gives a **** and pass,pass x10 and then back pass lol

Shame because I (and most of us) hoped that Lerner having appointed a decent manager would release the purse strings a little more and give him a chance, I just hope that this time the supporters realise who's to blame if and when this season turns into another 11/12 season. This time it's not going to be the manager but the owner.

Funnily enough he's actually a Newcastle supporter. Been confirmed by a few Sunderland Journos up here.

Oh right, didn't realise that. Thought he was a nailed on Mackem, being an Easington boy! Quick Google search shows he was on the books at Newcastle, before Boro. Hmmm, maybe it's not as cut and dry then.

It's hard to work out what the hell is going on at Aston Villa. Maybe Lerner is trying to put the club in a sound financial position but with an exciting ambitious manager in place. He is meeting the objectives set by our new Arab owners before they will take over the club :)

No I think they see it too, what we dont see is what they're trying to do about it. I would also add that as fans we tend to fear the worse more than we hope for the best. Our squad is unlikely to be winning the league but it's not that bad. The final pice is we dont see how good the younger fringe players are, Lambo may well have had a good look and said fine, I'm happy Baker, Clark, Herd, Gardner, Bannan etc can do a job when asked to.

The other thing is they're hardly going to come out and say yep you know what the squad is absolute dog shit, Ireland pisses us off too and the kids are never going to come good!

On the West Ham game, yes chances were sparse but look at the side, new look back 4, N'zog the only regular starter in midfield, 4 players making their league debut? Combine that with a new manager and what seemed to be a new style of football and you can't expect it all to fall into place on day 1 of the season.

If you want to turn that around you can say that West Ham had a settled side, on a high from getting promoted and being back in the Premier League and were playing at home in front of a very vocal crowd. We on the other hand are on our 3rd manager in 3 seasons with an entirely different back 4 and other new players, plus a couple of injuries. I thought we'd lose before we played them and if you want to show any patience, you have to accept that there will be hiccups along the way.

Indeed yeah I see that point too, I thought playing all our preseason games away from home would have possibly helped set us up for playing our first away game. It was discouraging that Collins and Winston Reid managed to stop us from creating 1 decent chance though. Just saying, if we lost and made some chances, it would have been a little more encouraging. Thought that game highlighted what a lot of fans have said about the lack of strength in our squad, the bench was appalling, no real game changers. Image if we got 1 or 2 injuries to any of our starting 11 that day, we'd likely be in a right pickle again.

I really don't know what you lot were expecting - this was yet another transitional year when we sacked McLeish and brought in a new manager with a completely new and much better footballing philosophy. This will take time, if you can't accept that then you probably shouldn't be supporting a football club.

EDIT - Not expressly directed at you, VillaRoy.

Indeed yeah I see that point too, I thought playing all our preseason games away from home would have possibly helped set us up for playing our first away game. It was discouraging that Collins and Winston Reid managed to stop us from creating 1 decent chance though. Just saying, if we lost and made some chances, it would have been a little more encouraging. Thought that game highlighted what a lot of fans have said about the lack of strength in our squad, the bench was appalling, no real game changers. Image if we got 1 or 2 injuries to any of our starting 11 that day, we'd likely be in a right pickle.

It wasn't just as simple as the defence keeping us out - we were playing an Allardyce side, full of 6ft+ bruisers who play hideously negative football but do it efficiently; we didn't play anyone like that in the pre-season. We'll struggle against teams like that this year - Stoke et al. You could also argue that we already have injuries that we're dealing with at the moment - I honestly think Gabby would have made a big difference to our play against them as we lacked pace or a physical dimension up front.

So what did your agent pal tell you about yesterdays meeting?

im still waiting - doing my head in as im dying to know what the craic is. will let you all know as soon as i hear

I had hoped that the poster/rumour of 8m to spend was BS

8m plus whatever can be raised from sales was probably the only 'close to' correct ITK info posted on here all summer. We've not even seen that yet of course!

Who posted it ? He deserves a pat on the back