General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lescott, Baines, Chamberlain, Bale, Walcott, Tim Cahill, all players signed from the lower leagues in recent years. 7 players in for the price of Warnock & NRC. Granted there's nothing to be excited about yet. Looking at this lad from Crewe, I read earlier that his manager then assistant said that he never really looked special coming through the ranks but had kicked on in the last few years. This reminded me of a certain winger who was left go at Watford at 15 but asked could he stay on and training with them, couple of years later he's an England international and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Interesting signings. This is a rebuilding job and we're taking a risk by investing in youth. You sense that if the relentless negativity of some posters becomes the majority view, things could go south. Premiership fans are hardly renowned for their patience.

There's no need for people to moan about our transfer dealings! Trust Lambert FFS!!! Just because we are bottom after two games and we've signed players with no premier league experience doesn't mean we'll go down! Be patient and give them a chance before writing them off.

I trust Lambert's judgement on signing a player. Look what he done at Norwich with lower league players! Look how many players have signed for premier league teams from lower league teams over the years and done well. What's to say our new boys can't do well too!?! The time to worry is not when there are 36 games left! The time to worry is if things aren't going too well up to around Christmas. The new boys will need abit of time to adapt and the team will need time to gel. Luckily, time IS on our side. Be patient!

of the 20 clubs in the premiership, we were:

8th highest spenders gross behind chelsea (82.8m), spurs (57m), man u (50m), arsenal (44m), man city (38m), liverpool (27.3m) and southampton (26.5m)

4th highest spenders net behind chelsea (58.2m), man utd (41.1m) and southampton (26.5m)

southampton aside, nobody who we wouldn't have expected to spend more than us both net and gross actually did. realistically, did people expect more? had dempsey decided to join us, only the league champions, champions league winners, dominant force in english football for the last 20 years, arsenal and a spurs side who made a fortune from sales wouldve spent more than us gross

I see no need to Moan, Randy spent about 20m this window.. Lambert has a vision for the club, And we should all back what he is trying achieve.. I'm happy with the signings we have made...

UTV!

Me too, and it's Paul Lambert's choice to spend the money how he has. He's the johnny on the spot, and the closest to assess what HE needed in HIS team in order to do HIS job. Randy has backed his manager so I can't see any reason to be down

I think the January window will see less players come in, but maybe one or two pieces of quality like KEA and Vlaar again. This should be the first signs of what our new scouting system can un-earth.

Lambert has obviously seen something in the lads to warrant bringing them in to the club. What we can say for sure is that all these guys will run through a brick wall for the Villa. That's obviously not going to be enough to compete with the world class talent in a handful of teams but, like Everton have shown, energy, pace enthusiasm and a good manager can go a long way in this league.

UTV

For those talking about how Bowery and Westwood aren't selected for th U21's yet Gardner and the Fonz are, you must remember that our set-up is like the Man Utd of reserve teams and, just like the full international squads, play for the right team and you'll be picked.

Doesn't mean they'll naturally make the step up to the premier league though as we've seen.

It is actually really exciting. If half of these young ones turns out to be decent then we will be good. I like buying hidden gems, as far as I see it football is 80% a mental game and 20% skill, if they have the right attitude then who is to say they can't raise their game. This is not about finding the new Messi, but about assembling a squad with a winning mentality!

Hutton and warnock have been poor and we've improved with both full backs in an attacking sense, we'll have to see what improvements they bring to defending.

I don't think we'll have to wait and see anything BJ10. I'M better than Warnock and Hutton defensively.

As long as neither of them score headed own goals or try to snap opponents legs, we're better off defensively.

Also, Lowton has played well so far, imo, PLUS he can play centreback... I'd like to see Hutton convert to CB for a game! We'd concede 15 penalties!