General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

And the realisation that nobody is going to be brought in slowly sinks in.

This is a 'football club' that aims to survive and nothing more. Sure they can say things - but actions are ultimately what counts.

Does this mean Lerner and Co were lying when they said that the manager would be backed to match his ambitions?

Have they been beating the PR wardrum again to sell a couple thousand more season tickets?

Only time will tell tick tock

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting increasingly worried that we're getting too wrapped up in balancing the books rather then assembling a competitive team. It's no good sitting after the window closes with a smug grin on our faces thinking "we've not spent beyond our means though" whilst 4-5 other clubs seem to be overtaking us.

At present I rate our squad at roughly 13th -14th in the league in terms of depth and quality. That's only 4 places off 18th. I just don't want to be dragged into yet another relegation scrap just to prove a financial point.

I know there's only one game been played and i'm jumping the gun massively but you can just see it happening as soon as we're hit with a couple of injuries to key players we're **** again.

Saying that I'm glad Jones and Defoe are no goers. Not the "young and hungry" players that Lambert has been waxing lyrical about.

Not sure how you're assessing the merits of our squad compared to others but even so it doesn't work that way, I would argue going into last season that Newcastle didn't look to have the 5th best squad in the league, Liverpool probably didn't have the 8th best squad in the league, we didn't have the 16th best squad in the league on paper etc etc.

Did Norwich have the 12th best squad on paper? I would argue not so surely you have to proportion a lot of emphasis on the effect of the manager, the tactics, the confidence the squad has etc etc.

Also you claim that we have the 13-14th best squad but then claim you're glad that a player that would improve that squad in Defoe is not coming, sure there's a phrase about having your cake and eating it.

On Defoe I just don't think we should be going for players reaching the end of their careers looking for one last move before the end. I can just see Defoe being hard to motivate and being happy to sit collecting his wages for a couple of seasons.

I think we should be looking at players that are younger and eager to prove themselves. Players who will bust a gut for the club. Both Defoe and Jones are the complete opposite of that.

Defoe is only 29 ffs. He's pretty much in his peak condition if you ask me. He always seems to bust a gut to try and score a goal even if he's only coming on for the last half hour, he just has that desire built in him like all great goalscorers do. That said, a better fit for Bent would be Robbie Keane from about 5 years ago. Not sure what players are out there that fit that kind of role.

Welllll....I was at Tynecastle last night watching Liverpool and Hearts and for some odd reason Carroll was not even on the bench at all which is odd considering they played more so players that probably are on the fringes and not guaranteed starters like Borini. I fully expected him to feature, so I might look into that as a further sign that Rodgers really does not want him and is actively trying to rid the club of him.

Pilchard wrote:

This is a 'football club' that aims to survive and nothing more. Sure they can say things - but actions are ultimately what counts.

Does this mean Lerner and Co were lying when they said that the manager would be backed to match his ambitions?

Have they been beating the PR wardrum again to sell a couple thousand more season tickets?

Bit early to be accusing anybody of lying, and even if no more players do come in its hardly enough to accuse the board of not backing the manager. A question I'm not expecting anybody outsiode of the club to have a definitive answer on is what does backing actually mean? Ask 100 Villa fans and you could potentially get 100 different figures,100 different lists of players etc. You may argue he hasn't been backed,I may argue he has.

A slight glimmer of hope I suppose

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert admits he would like to conduct some more business in the transfer market before it shuts next week after speaking with the club's chairman.

Lambert has already been busy at the Midlands club this summer, signing Ron Vlaar, Matthew Lowton and Karim El Ahmadi since his arrival in June.

The former Norwich boss is looking to strengthen his squad further, having been linked with a move for Stoke frontman Kenwyne Jones and Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe.

After speaking with Villa chief Randy Lerner, Lambert hopes he can further improve his options, with transfer deadline day looming next Friday.

The Scot told the Daily Telegraph: "I've spoken to Randy and we've just bounced things off one another.

"If something can be done, then great. We've still got a week to go so we'll see."

Ban

Meanwhile, Lambert has introduced a phone and laptop ban at Villa Park in a bid to avoid any distraction in his squad.

He said: "If you are a professional footballer, then it's not your hobby, it's your job. I think it's important. You are at the training ground to work.

"If you train the way you play, then I don't have a problem with it. But iPhones and iPads are a distraction. I'm here to win football matches, not to play on a phone or computer."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11701/8014084/Lambert-open-to-late-spending

On Defoe I just don't think we should be going for players reaching the end of their careers looking for one last move before the end. I can just see Defoe being hard to motivate and being happy to sit collecting his wages for a couple of seasons.

I think we should be looking at players that are younger and eager to prove themselves. Players who will bust a gut for the club. Both Defoe and Jones are the complete opposite of that.

Whilst I do agree that as a rule we should be looking for younger, 'hungrier' players, we're not in a position to discount players that clearly would improve what you consider to be a squad in the bottom quarer of the league in terms of quality.

Andy Weiman is young, determined and 'hungry' but with 20 mins left and us needing a goal I think I'd rather have Defoe on the ptich than Weiman.

I think that if our squad is not strengthened further the board will have nowhere to hide in terms of PR stunts. Over the last 2 seasons we have all argued over MON's crazy spending, the clubs spiralling wages (now seemingly under control), both Houllier and AMC and continued to support RL and PF throughout (and rightly so)...for now.

However, as we are now at a point where our squad is so thin in terms of quality and quantity we are potentially playing a very dangerous game if we hope to get through with what we've got.

Personally, I think we will make at least 3 more signings with Hutton, Makoun & Warnock leaving.

But, if it doesn't happen and we are just looking to offload more high earners with PL experience then I don't think any number of Brent-esque club statements or tweets from IncognitoAVFC will give the fans any reason to believe that Randy Lerner is interested any more.

Yeah but there are quite a few days left of the transfer window. I'd save your anguish for the 1st of Sept if I were you, give yourself a few days off from it.

Lambert frustrated as search proves fruitless

Villa boss Paul Lambert today admitted he has been frustrated by the lack of activity in the transfer window in recent weeks.

Lambert wrapped up deals for Karim El Ahmadi, Ron Vlaar and Matthew Lowton before the season began but has come up against a brick wall since.

The claret and blues have been strongly linked with a move for Ipswich defender Aaron Cresswell with a left-back high on Lambert’s list of priorities.

Sources in East Anglia, however, insist there has been no follow-up to Villa’s initial inquiry at the beginning of the month.

There has been little movement on the outgoings as well and the club have not received any offers for out-of-favour full-backs Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton.

“It’s difficult because of the prices and that’s a hard thing. I think it’s well documented the type of players I’m looking for,” said Lambert. “I have never stopped looking. Someone might come in.”

Lambert, however, did rule out a deal for either Tottenham poacher Jermain Defoe or Stoke City target man Kenwyne Jones.

Not that encouraging... Don't sound like Randy is eager to spend on players.

Express and Star

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews

Sky Sources: Sunderland in talks with Manchester City winger Adam Johnson. #SSN

I'll be pretty damn disappointed if we're not in for him...unless of course we can get someone else cheaper who's the same caliber as Adam Johnson.

And it begins, the Struggle between Manager and the Board.

I doubt it. I'm sure Randy made it perfectly clear that our wage bill needs to be kept in-check. I guess Lambert didn't think it would be so hard to sell Hutton or Warnock.