General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

NRC hasn't really played in a team like ours before - he can do short sideways passing and he'll be surrounded by players who take the ball off him. His strength lies in his ability to limit the opposition and break up what they're trying to do - he's not perfect but we only have Herd who can do that and he is still relatively inexperienced. Anyone remember when NRC took Cristiano Ronaldo out of the game when we played Man U at VP a few years back? He started RB but basically man-marked him the whole game and gave him nothing, Cronaldo sulked off as he was getting subbed, milking the boos from the crowd.

I do, then the game after he had absolute stinker against Liverpool and Albert Riera tore him another arsehole.

NRC can't pass the ball 10 yards, he never lifts his head up to look around. Also, he can't play in a passing team as he never makes himself available for the ball, he always stands with his back to the defenders when they have it, same when people have a throw in, he never wants the ball because he doesn't have the ability to do anything with it.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I rate Lambert - he can't turn poor players into good ones. and he won't be able to bring enough players of note in - unless he is provided with a decent amount of funds.

A net spend of £7m is even lower than i predicted. I find it hard to beleive he is sitting on a decent warchest - than can't be spent until we sell Warnock.

In defence, midfield and attack - we are relying on academy products to cut the mustard in the prem - the evidence that they can do this has bennat best spasmodic. Indeed the influx of academy players into the first 11 in the last 2 seasons has coincided with a slide down the table. - The fact we are starting the season in such a state doesn't bode well .......no matter who the manager is.

Nobody can magically turn poor players into good ones but what Lambert is good at, and what I think he picked up from MON, is the ability to motivate and get the best out of his players - all you have to do is look at Norwich for that. Our academy products are actually pretty good and will be an asset for us - it's obvious that we could do with signing a couple more players but I think we will.

I kinda agree with your ifs !

If we sign a couple more players

If our academy kids come good

Then yes I agree we would have a pretty good season - 10th or above. I am getting more doubtful by the day of significant additions to the squad

..and in the last 5 years only gabby has come through the academy to hold a regular place in the squad - throw in Cahill who has done it elsewhere.....

But yes if Baker, Bannan, Gardner, Clark,Weiman, Carruthers, Herd, Lichaj - all perform consistently at premier level this season then I will be happy .............(and surprised)

Some clarity from PJ on Creswell taken from the Ipswich Star

IPSWICH Town manager Paul Jewell says he ‘hasn’t heard anything’ regarding Aston Villa stepping up their interest in left-back Aaron Cresswell.

The Premier League club’s chief executive, Paul Faulkner, contacted Town counterpart Simon Clegg towards the end of July enquiring about the availability of the 22-year-old following his impressive debut season at Portman Road. Clegg says he ‘discouraged a bid’.

Blues boss Paul Jewell said at the time that he’d had no direct contact from Villa counterpart Paul Lambert regarding the player. He insisted he doesn’t want to sell his best players, but added the caveat that ‘every player has their price’.

Cresswell told the Green’Un last week: “I have three years left on my contract and I want to stay here for the remainder of my contract. Stuff does happen behind closed doors, but I am happy here at Ipswich and that is all there is to it.”

However, with little over a week until the transfer window shuts on permanent deals, social networking website Twitter was rife with speculation that Villa had had a bid accepted for the full-back last night.

Speaking at yesterday’s press conference ahead of tomorrow’s away game at early table-toppers Blackpool, Jewell was asked about whether Villa had followed up on their Cresswell enquiry. He said: “I haven’t heard anything’.

The defender is set to travel to a team training session in Stoke today before an overnight stop ahead of the club’s game at Bloomfield Road tomorrow.

The Green’Un understands that it would take a large offer – something in the region of at least £4-5m – for Ipswich to even consider letting go a player who was virtually ever-present in his debut campaign at the club.

The Blues still owe former club Tranmere some money as part of his tribunal-ruled £520,000 switch last summer, while it’s understood the League One club would be owed a significant amount as part of a sell-on clause.

Time would also be running out for Jewell to find a replacement left-back before the window shuts. Back-up options within the squad at present are 18-year-old Joe Whight – who is yet to make his competitive first-team debut – or shifting 31-year-old centre-back Damien Delaney out to a position he hasn’t played in some time.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/transfer_latest_paul_jewell_not_aware_of_any_fresh_aston_villa_interest_in_aaron_cresswell_1_1493180

I've got to say, I'm much more interested in this season being about getting a new style of play ready and weeding out the players with shitty attitudes than having unrealistic illusions of us signing everyone we need immediately. These things take time.

Although I rate Lambert - he can't turn poor players into good ones. and he won't be able to bring enough players of note in - unless he is provided with a decent amount of funds.

A net spend of £7m is even lower than i predicted. I find it hard to beleive he is sitting on a decent warchest - than can't be spent until we sell Warnock.

In defence, midfield and attack - we are relying on academy products to cut the mustard in the prem - the evidence that they can do this has bennat best spasmodic. Indeed the influx of academy players into the first 11 in the last 2 seasons has coincided with a slide down the table. - The fact we are starting the season in such a state doesn't bode well .......no matter who the manager is.

Nobody can magically turn poor players into good ones but what Lambert is good at, and what I think he picked up from MON, is the ability to motivate and get the best out of his players - all you have to do is look at Norwich for that. Our academy products are actually pretty good and will be an asset for us - it's obvious that we could do with signing a couple more players but I think we will.

Agree with Smetrov..I've been saying this for a while...they are just not good enough..I'm yet to see anything that really stands out that makes me think these plyers are going to be any good...in an ideal world I would love to see them all make it and perform to highest standard but two years on now third year that comes a point when we just have to realise we can not rely on these players....IMO too many people like to say they are better than they actuially are purely because they are one of ours.....Would they get the same 'hype' if they played at another club....would they even be at another club in the prem?????? No other team has come for them, even when they went out on loan to the championship most, if not all came back sooner rather than later without setting the world on fire.

The club really needs to put its money on the table and get in some good, technical players in and add one or two in, your albrighton's bannan's et al as you cant take a player from what effectively is a boys league in the reserves and ask them to perform against the big boys...simply wont happen...with some good purchases these players will develope (hopefully) in to better players as at the moment who can really show them the way.

If our transfer window is effectively closed already as some make out and this the squad for 2012 2013 then I think it could be another tough year, not as bad as last but at the same time no where near as good as some believe is expected.

UTV

Then yes I agree we would have a pretty good season - 10th or above. I am getting more doubtful by the day of significant additions to the squad

..and in the last 5 years only gabby has come through the academy to hold a regular place in the squad - throw in Cahill who has done it elsewhere.....

But yes if Baker, Bannan, Gardner, Clark,Weiman, Carruthers, Herd, Lichaj - all perform consistently at premier level this season then I will be happy .............(and surprised)

I don't have much doubt about Clark, Lichaj, Bannan, Baker and Herd at this point - I think what we've seen of them shows that they are good enough to be in the squad. That leaves the uncertains - Gardner, Weimann, Carruthers; the latter 2 showing signs of being able to cope with Gardner (IMO) not really showing anything yet.

Even if we don't sign anyone else and the uncertains can't cut it, I don't think we'll do worse than about 15th - and considering that there has been wholesale change going on, in pretty much every area - that'd do.

I've got to say, I'm much more interested in this season being about getting a new style of play ready and weeding out the players with shitty attitudes than having unrealistic illusions of us signing everyone we need immediately. These things take time.

I didn't realise sensible posting was allowed in this thread. Very well said.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't have much doubt about Clark, Lichaj, Bannan, Baker and Herd at this point - I think what we've seen of them shows that they are good enough to be in the squad. That leaves the uncertains - Gardner, Weimann, Carruthers; the latter 2 showing signs of being able to cope with Gardner (IMO) not really showing anything yet.

Even if we don't sign anyone else and the uncertains can't cut it, I don't think we'll do worse than about 15th - and considering that there has been wholesale change going on, in pretty much every area - that'd do.

I understand it's just your opinion but how you can say that Bannan is good enough to be in the squad but you're unsure and Weimann is beyond me. I'd say Bannan has got everything to prove!

I had hoped that the poster/rumour of 8m to spend was BS

8m plus whatever can be raised from sales was probably the only 'close to' correct ITK info posted on here all summer. We've not even seen that yet of course!

Who posted it ? He deserves a pat on the back

Isn't that the same 'ITK' that linked us to a player that had already signed for another club?

I said we would have £8m plus 50% of sales revenue.

I got slated

If this is true, and right now nobody knows, then I think PL has made an appalling error in signing Lowton for £3M. I can't see why he'd do that, i mean Hutton is not the best right back in the world, but he would have done for another season, why splash 40% of your transfer budget on a rookie for a position in which you already have a rookie and an international ?

I think there is probably more like £15M, but the market has gone silly this summer.

Agree with Smetrov..I've been saying this for a while...they are just not good enough..I'm yet to see anything that really stands out that makes me think these plyers are going to be any good...in an ideal world I would love to see them all make it and perform to highest standard but two years on now third year that comes a point when we just have to realise we can not rely on these players....IMO too many people like to say they are better than they actuially are purely because they are one of ours.....Would they get the same 'hype' if they played at another club....would they even be at another club in the prem?????? No other team has come for them, even when they went out on loan to the championship most, if not all came back sooner rather than later without setting the world on fire.

The club really needs to put its money on the table and get in some good, technical players in and add one or two in, your albrighton's bannan's et al as you cant take a player from what effectively is a boys league in the reserves and ask them to perform against the big boys...simply wont happen...with some good purchases these players will develope (hopefully) in to better players as at the moment who can really show them the way.

If our transfer window is effectively closed already as some make out and this the squad for 2012 2013 then I think it could be another tough year, not as bad as last but at the same time no where near as good as some believe is expected.

UTV

1) Who would you say is 'poor'? And how do they figure in the first team and subs at the moment?

2) Bannan is a good player.

3) Did you really expect this year to be easy given all the factors?

I understand it's just your opinion but how you can say that Bannan is good enough to be in the squad but you're unsure and Weimann is beyond me. I'd say Bannan has got everything to prove!

Bannan has played 40 games for the club and for me, has looked the part in most of them. Now, he has the chance to play in a side that actually plays to his strengths and if the pre-season is anything to go by, he'll do well for us.

Weimann has played fewer games and hasn't had as much of a chance to shine yet - he's shown glimpses of what he can do but it's still a bit premature to say that he's good enough yet. I have hopes for him and I don't think he's going to let us down but it's still too early to say.

Bannan has played 40 games for the club and for me, has looked the part in most of them. Now, he has the chance to play in a side that actually plays to his strengths and if the pre-season is anything to go by, he'll do well for us.

Weimann has played fewer games and hasn't had as much of a chance to shine yet - he's shown glimpses of what he can do but it's still a bit premature to say that he's good enough yet. I have hopes for him and I don't think he's going to let us down but it's still too early to say.

I dunno mate i'd say each to there own but in the games Bannan has played so far he's done nothing but disappoint me. Looks for the hollywood pass way too often. I'm hopeful though that he will slot in nicely with the type of football Lambert is hoping to get us to play.

I'd take NRC back in a "heartbeat" to coin a VT phrase

Anyway after today we will have just 96 hours left to get some players in and out

You have to keep in mind Saturday is Matchday and Sunday / Monday are days off so after today the phones will be dead til Tuesday am.

I'd take NRC back in a "heartbeat" to coin a VT phrase

Anyway after today we will have just 96 hours left to get some players in and out

You have to keep in mind Saturday is Matchday and Sunday / Monday are days off so after today the phones will be dead til Tuesday am.

No, we have a week.

I have to respectfully disagree here. If we don't bring in anyone else and the young guns don't have an impact - I think we are in dire straights.

In particular we need Clark to perform at CB - as we don't have any options (other than Dunne) should he fall short. I feel our defence could get very leaky.

NRC was bog average for his entire Villa career. Why would anyone want him back ?

And as for Kevin Doyle, the mind boggles. We've just seen the back of one striker that does donkey work, holds the ball up and never scores. Why would we want another ?

I dunno mate i'd say each to there own but in the games Bannan has played so far he's done nothing but disappoint me. Looks for the hollywood pass way too often. I'm hopeful though that he will slot in nicely with the type of football Lambert is hoping to get us to play.

If Bannan has done nothing but disappoint you then I don't think you've watched much of him play at all. He does go for ambitious passes but a lot of the time he completes them - I don't think we have a better passer of the ball at the club in terms of range and accuracy.