General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

So just to move away from the "oh my god we're shit cos we aren't signing anyone" element of this thread. Realistically what OUT's & IN's would people like to see in the next 7 days...

OUT - Warnock, Hutton, Makoun, Delfouneso (Loan)

IN - Cresswell, Adam, Phillips, Carroll

Get to work PF.

I would be happy with that. But realistically, I'm expecting a leftback and hopefully a striker. Any more will be a bonus for Me.

With the narrow formation we've been playing so far, I think that the 'wide' positions are actually covered by Holman, Ireland, N'Zogbia and Albrighton. Any more signings in that position and we'd have an awful lot of players to rotate frequently (or we'd need to play 3 of them and only 1 striker, meaning that Gabby/ Wiemann/ 'new striker' would be left to be rotated aswell).

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson is an ok player, better than we have in that position but I don't think he is a 10m/ 80k a week player. He sticks his head down and dribbles with the ball, sometimes he ends up in a good position to cross but just as often runs into a blind alley in midfield or beats three men to finally lift his head and find that he has ended up in his own half facing the wrong way.

I said we would have £8m plus 50% of sales revenue.

I got slated

If this is true, and right now nobody knows, then I think PL has made an appalling error in signing Lowton for £3M. I can't see why he'd do that, i mean Hutton is not the best right back in the world, but he would have done for another season, why splash 40% of your transfer budget on a rookie for a position in which you already have a rookie and an international ?

I think there is probably more like £15M, but the market has gone silly this summer.

This is a very good point that I hadn't considered before. Hutton, as bad as he is, isn't the biggest problem area in the team. I'd say Warnock is worse than him.

I've always thought there were funds available. I still trust Richards info, and that we'll make a few signings in the next week.

[it was a good passing spell against West Ham and it did last about 20/30mins.

I was at the game and it was a very good spell off ball retention/passing for us during the first 25 - 30 mins. However during that time we created **** all which was pretty much the case over the whole 90 minutes. I am all for seeing us retain the ball but bottom line in football is all about scoring one more than the opposition.

Getting back on topic we need signings. The squad is lacking both in terms of quantity and quality.

Lambert I have no doubt will prove to be a very good manager for us but he will need decent backing.

The last two seasons we have spent 90% of it in the bottom third of the table and had to endure two relegation battles. That for Aston Villa is simply not good enough.

The club went someway to ensuring that would not happen again by appointing Lambert. Now he needs to be backed. As things stand today the squad will finish between 12th and 16th. With injuries to two or three key players we will be in deep shit.

I am still hopeful we will make the signings necessary to see us finish comfortable in mid to upper table but with every passing day it seems less likely we will make the signings necessary to do that.

I was at the game and it was a very good spell off ball retention/passing for us during the first 25 - 30 mins. However during that time we created **** all which was pretty much the case over the whole 90 minutes. I am all for seeing us retain the ball but bottom line in football is all about scoring one more than the opposition.

Well, obviously yeah... nobody is disputing that. :?

I said we would have £8m plus 50% of sales revenue.

I got slated

If this is true, and right now nobody knows, then I think PL has made an appalling error in signing Lowton for £3M. I can't see why he'd do that, i mean Hutton is not the best right back in the world, but he would have done for another season, why splash 40% of your transfer budget on a rookie for a position in which you already have a rookie and an international ?

I think there is probably more like £15M, but the market has gone silly this summer.

This is a very good point that I hadn't considered before. Hutton, as bad as he is, isn't the biggest problem area in the team. I'd say Warnock is worse than him.

I've always thought there were funds available. I still trust Richards info, and that we'll make a few signings in the next week.

This is exactly what I've been saying about the whole Lowton scenario, why would he spend £3m on an unproven youngster from League One, if his budget is less than £10m. The same goes with the idea of Cresswell replacing Warnock, we're trying to flog both of last seasons first team fullbacks, only to replace them with lower league players. I agree that Warnock and Hutton are both shite, but that means they need replacing with players that are better, rather than unproven youngsters from the lower leagues.

The only way it would make sense is if we literally cannot afford to pay the wages of top tier players in any capacity, hence buying players who won't want any more than 10k a week.

There must be more money available, it's either that or we're being set up for a promotion battle next season.

Getting back on topic we need signings. The squad is lacking both in terms of quantity and quality.

Lambert I have no doubt will prove to be a very good manager for us but he will need decent backing.

The last two seasons we have spent 90% of it in the bottom third of the table and had to endure two relegation battles. That for Aston Villa is simply not good enough.

The club went someway to ensuring that would not happen again by appointing Lambert. Now he needs to be backed. As things stand today the squad will finish between 12th and 16th. With injuries to two or three key players we will be in deep shit.

I am still hopeful we will make the signings necessary to see us finish comfortable in mid to upper table but with every passing day it seems less likely we will make the signings necessary to do that.

Mark.......thank you for restoring my faith in VT posters on here.

100% behind everything you've just said!!!

Would rather we took a punt on Phillips from Blackpool who seems to have an eye for goal and would command much lower wages than Johnson. Let MON cripple Sunderland's finances by signing experienced British players on huge salaries.

We also have a European scouting network that needs to be utilised in the next 12 months so really think we have to start unearthing talent as opposed to paying big sums of money for it.

Maybe if we sign Charlie Adam he could sweet talk Holloway into selling Phillips to us for £5m plus Delfouneso. :-)

I may have missed the boat on this, but, did anybody else catch Kendrick's tweet re: Lambert explaining the difficulty in bringing in players that "meet his criteria"?

To me it just stinks of the same old bullshit we get fed...strung along for a whole window and then the same excuses start coming out...

"There's no value out there"

"We only want hungry players"

"We can't find anyone we want"

If there's no money, I just wish they'd be honest. Instead of drumming up season ticket sales with all the crap and then leaving us to suffer another season of crap!

I may have missed the boat on this, but, did anybody else catch Kendrick's tweet re: Lambert explaining the difficulty in bringing in players that "meet his criteria"?

To me it just stinks of the same old bullshit we get fed...strung along for a whole window and then the same excuses start coming out...

"There's no value out there"

"We only want hungry players"

"We can't find anyone we want"

If there's no money, I just wish they'd be honest. Instead of drumming up season ticket sales with all the crap and then leaving us to suffer another season of crap!

I think they are being honest though mate, dont forget we've been down the road that QPR and the like are going down, and unless you make it, it all ends in financial tears.

It is probably hard to find footballers now that:

a) will take a moderate salary

B) want to play heart on sleeve for the club

So I dont think there's much bullshit in there.....but I agree it's very same old same old, which probably makes everything I've just said complete tosh!

It's all very weird at the villa now to be honest, there is no clear message of where we want to go.

I think we are due a bit of honesty for a change.

It's all very weird at the villa now to be honest, there is no clear message of where we want to go.

I think we are due a bit of honesty for a change.

I think it's quite clear, tbh ( for this season at least ).

1. Get rid of anyone on high wages if possible.

2. Buy replacement on lower wages.

3. Survive.

Let's not pretend for one minute that the signings of Johnson and Whatshisface from Wolves wouldn't have improved us massively.

We need to be making signings just to stand still. The players last year werent good enough, we could have José Mourinho as manager and the likes of Delph, Baker, Gardner and co would still be inept.

Let's not pretend for one minute that the signings of Johnson and Whatshisface from Wolves wouldn't have improved us massively.

We need to be making signings just to stand still. The players last year werent good enough, we could have José Mourinho as manager and the likes of Delph, Baker, Gardner and co would still be inept.

True. But I would not be surprised if Sunderland will be paying upwards of £150k/week for both players. Something that I would not be happy seeing us doing again as it then becomes standard.

We have a scouting system now, a supposedly bloody good one. Let's use it.